IGNORED

a terrific second bike

Tippy

After much soul-searching about the best bike to complement the RT, after procratinating for 3 years, I finally bought a new (08) Bonneville Black. The other finalists were the SV650 (great bike, but would have needed a dogbone to drop seat height), Ducati Monster 695 (not upright enough for my creaky body) and the Honda 599 (nice, but discontinued in Canada this year). The Bonnie is a nice simple bike with light handling and quick responses to rider inputs. The 30.5" seat height and upright riding position are perfect for my short stature and old bones. It's got sufficient power, and I find myself smiling when I take it for a toot. What more could I ask for! Now a couple of selected after-market bobbles, and it will be perfect for me.

Baba_ORiley

I have a soft spot for the new Triumphs, even though I've never owned one. (nearest dealer is 90 miles away)

What color Bonnie did you buy?

Make sure that you study up on your Triumph history, every time you stop at the gas station people will come up to you and talk about the Triumph they owned way back when and they will also be suprised to know that yours is a modern Triumph ooo.gif

Enjoy the fun wave.gif

As an owner of a 06 T100 bonnie I must say welcome. It's a great ride. And yes be prepared to spend time talking with folks at stop lights, gas stations, etc., etc..

You might want to also check out triumphrat.net where Triumph owners meet. Yes the bobbles can get pretty involved. First suggestion is to upgrade the suspension, front and rear. You won't believe the difference in the ride. Myself, am hoping to add an RT as a second bike in the near future. Enjoy the Bonnie, it's a blast. thumbsup.gif

The other finalists were the SV650 (great bike, but would have needed a dogbone to drop seat height)

Having owned a mostly-stock, low-mileage 2000 SV650, I can't say I share the same opinion. It was such a good bike, that I sold it a week after I bought it. I felt lied to, people talked about all this torque it had, but it was quite gutless and uninspiring. I think you made the right decision.

I would like to post a pic, but have not figured out how all those smart guys get the pic integrated into the message rather than attaching it. Any advice?

Re: people stopping me to talk about the bike - It didn't take long for that to happen. I wonder what it is about this bike that makes people want to do that. Must be the heritage.

First suggestion is to upgrade the suspension, front and rear.

What do you recommend? I see that Ikon and Hagon seem to be the popular choices

I installed Hagon fork springs primarily because you can use the stock spacers. Can't go wrong with the Ikons,have to use different spacers, but can be done just using a pc of pvc pipe cut to length.

Rear shocks were replaced with Progressive 412-4215C shocks. 412's are least expensive, 440's are better if you have the $$. Again Progressive, Ikon or Hagon's, can't go wrong.

New fork springs will eliminate the front end dive. Pretty simple job if you have a bike jack.

Here is a couple of suppliers you can check out for parts/etc.

http://www.newbonneville.com/

http://www.bellacorse.com/home.htm

http://www.british-customs.com/store/home.php

You will soon notice that most of the people that stop to talk with you are older men with stories of the Triumph they used to own back in the day. Figure extra time when stopping for gas, etc.. And I am serious about people asking about the bike at stoplights. Usually starts with them hanging out the window to look at the bike.

Enjoy your new ride. The black is a really nice looking bike, your lucky to have found one. My dealer can't keep them on the floor.

As for posting pictures:

I have a photobucket.com acct (free)

And a smugmug.com acct (small annual fee)

I like the smugmug better.

After I got the acct I still had to ask how to use it.

When I posted a question I got several pm's within minutes.

Jerry_75_Guy
okay... so thinking that I could see a picture of the bike I figured I go to http://www.triumph.com. ooo.gif

I take it you were, somehow, disappointed with the result? wink.gif

(and not that I'm complaining, but I wasn't sure what the 'purpose' of the site was; you leave "messages"?? tongue.gif).

After much soul-searching about the best bike to complement the RT, after procratinating for 3 years, I finally bought a new (08) Bonneville Black. The other finalists were the SV650 (great bike, but would have needed a dogbone to drop seat height), Ducati Monster 695 (not upright enough for my creaky body) and the Honda 599 (nice, but discontinued in Canada this year). The Bonnie is a nice simple bike with light handling and quick responses to rider inputs. The 30.5" seat height and upright riding position are perfect for my short stature and old bones. It's got sufficient power, and I find myself smiling when I take it for a toot. What more could I ask for! Now a couple of selected after-market bobbles, and it will be perfect for me.

Congrats on the new bike, I was just at Echo looking at the Scrambler ;-) I work on the westend, and ride to work every day so if you wanna stop by and show off your new ride and go for a ride at lunch. A co-worker and I usually go for a ride every day, 12-1. PM me if you're interested and I'll send you my contact info.

Dave Grinsel

I bought a leftover 06 Black Thruxton about a month ago and after 1300 miles love it. I installed Triumph's (off road) mufflers, bar end mirrors, tank protectors and a tank bag. I also purchased a seat bag from RKA. My next installation will be suspension mods.

I have only driven my GB500 twice since purchasing the Thruxton. However, I have ridden my R1200ST about 1500 miles.

Congrats on the new bike, I was just at Echo looking at the Scrambler ;-) I work on the westend, and ride to work every day so if you wanna stop by and show off your new ride and go for a ride at lunch. A co-worker and I usually go for a ride every day, 12-1. PM me if you're interested and I'll send you my contact info.

I stopped in the Triumph store on Tuesday and was looking at the Tiger and Sprint. I saw the black Bonneville there as well. A gent was in for his 600 miles service and was talking the machine up. It brought back memories of my teens when I was riding my Kaw triple. I had a friend I would ride with that had the bonnie....days of yesteryear...

I think it is a beauty and class act. Enjoy and give us some reports on it!

Just wondering where your new Triumph was made. Lot's of talk on the Triumph list about the production being outsourced to Thailand. I was at the local Triumph dealer and there were some shipping crates sitting outside. The crates had big "TH" stamped all over them. I assume those bikes came from Thailand. I looked over some of the new bikes on the floor and couldn't find a "Made In" label.

Cheers

Steve

Alright Sam! So, how do you do this?

I went to a Web site that had the picture I wanted - in this case it was our local Triumph dealer - http://www.englemotors.com.

I found a picture of the bike here:

http://www.englemotors.com/new_vehicle_d...esc=Motorcycles

Beneath the picture, it says click for larger image, so I did. A window opened up with the larger image. I right-clicked over the image and selected properties.

I then highlighted the Location and copied it.

Using the new message window, I clicked the Image option in the "Instant UBB Code" area (beneath where you enter a message).

Pasted the Location link there and viola. There's ya picture.

Sweet lookin' bike.

Look at the 11th digit in the vin J = England T= Thai

Bascially the electronics, carbs, etc are made overseas for Triumph with assembly done in England.

Think they would loose a lot of fans (buyers) if the modern classics were made anywhere but the UK.

Either way it's a fun bike to ride, enjoy

Archived