IGNORED

:::aNYBODY ever had an Aprilia Futura//impressions:::

hANNAbONE

wONDERING if any of "you's" have ridden any extended time on the Aprilia FUTURA ??

I've always had the hots for the Aprilia line, just could never fit on them...but I believe that the Futura would sit very close to the Triumph Sprint I have currently.

So...post away those of you that have had some saddle time on one - I'd be most interested on what you have to say.

I wanna know all the quirks and stuff too - so don't just give me the good bits...let 'er all hang out..!

TIA

Best:

bONE -

Steve McKinley has an '03 if I recall. He's been through about a dozen Beemers, but loves that Futura of his. See if you can dig him up for some add'l feedback.

I have had a Futura for 5 years or so. Given some medical issues, I have been unable to rack up serious miles but have had about 25,000 miles of seat time.

The bad, some of the electrics can have issues. Need to replace the r/r with after market and make sure the connections are solid. Also, the clutch slave cylinder and fuel quick disconnect will likely have to be replaced with after market. In fact was a recall for the fuel line disconnect. Many people do upgrade the suspension. As I ride solo, no problem for me. Can be a bit top heavy as well. Fuel range avg about 180 miles or so. Bit less if you drive aggressively. Me I am looking for a break before then. Comparable to range of K1200rs.

Good part. Other than the problems noted above it is built like a tank. The engine is bullet proof. Good power and good handling. Best seat in the business. Luggage looks good on or off. No ugly racks left. Both banks the same size and will hold my XL Arai.

I have just purchased a new to me K1200s and still enjoy the Futura. Overall it was and is a good bike. HTH

Clint

I had a 2002 Futura for a couple of years. It was used when I bought it and it already had an upgraded fuel quick disconnect (and twin Staintunes). I did the regulator upgrade. What a great bike. The Rotax engine is bulletproof and it had plenty of power. It was a bit heavy and didn't handle all that great in twisties but it was a fun bike to ride. I finally sold it because Nashville doesn't have an Aprilia dealer and if it ever needed to be repaired I cannot fix anything myself.

Steve McKinley graciously loaned me his RST for a couple of weeks back when my KGT was in the shop. After a week on that bike I knew that pig of of a K bike was not long for my world.

The Futura handles like a sport bike, rides like a sport tourer (great seat and posture--for me), sounds like a Duc, has a ton of torque across the powerband and manages the wind fairly well.

The styling, in my eyes looks good, but don't forget what I'm willing to ride around on (R12RT) before you trust my visual taste in scooters. grin.gif

It's a great bike and I wish I owned one.

Here may be the problem with that bike; parts. While in production, parts were hard to come by and now that it is out of production....?

Jake is giving you some good advice regarding McKinley. Ping Steve, although you may have to remind him he owned a Futura--many, many bikes ago for Steve. Send him a picture and I'm sure it will trigger his memory. tongue.gif

Here's one.

large.jpg

I ran into a guy some years ago outside a coffee shop in Pella who had one of those mint green Futuras. I thought it was a great looking bike at the time (and still do). Though he didn't give me any details, his enthusiasm was, well, muted.

I'd imagine that within a year or two Buell will be releasing a sport touring bike based on their 1125R. With rotax power, I'd imagine that it'll be the successor to the Futura and give the FJR and GTR1400 a serious run. Just a thought.

There's always that ST3 that Doug has... smile.gif

tHEY dON'T mAKE tHEM aNYMORE aND bESIDES tHAT, yOU dON'T nEED aNOTHER bIKE! tongue.gif

wATCH iT, bRUTHA...or I'll have-tah come out there and ride that Duc...or, better yet - steal it..!) thumbsup.gifgrin.gif

tHEY dON'T mAKE tHEM aNYMORE aND bESIDES tHAT, yOU dON'T nEED aNOTHER bIKE! tongue.gif

wATCH iT, bRUTHA...or I'll have-tah come out there and ride that Duc...or, better yet - steal it..!) thumbsup.gifgrin.gif

Bring it on, Iowa Boy! You'd like my 907 and its sound! For what it's worth I came close two years ago to pulling the trigger on a mint Futura with only 300 miles on the clock. I visited the dealer for two months lusting over that beauty while I did some due diligence and lurked on the Aprilia forum. When it came time to get serious I was told by a salesman that they sold the bike new in 2003 and the owner put the 300 miles on it over two weeks. He then went skiing, hit a tree, and died. ooo.gif

His wife asked the dealer to buy it back which they did. Anyway, upon hearing about the bike's history and being a serious alpine skier myself, I felt some bad juju going on here and backed off. I have some regrets every time I see a Futura but the karma thing always would have been in the back of my mind. Know what I mean?

Archived