IGNORED

GT and RT comparison

otis

I currently ride a 2004 R1150RT and am considering the new K1200GT. I would like to get a comparison of the two - has anyone made a similar change? What are the differences, ect.

I know the GT has WAY more power, but what about handling, wind management, ect.

All comments are welcome and appreciated.

Thanks,

Pat

kingpinofdisks

I recently was smashed into the 5 freeway divider on my 2004 r1150rt - much to everyone's chagrin, I survived frown.gif

I only had about 45K miles on the RT. bncry.gif

I have 3K miles on my new 2007 k1200GT. clap.gif

I had the exact same problems on the new GT as the old RT - needed new windshield, handle bar spacer, new seats (I had my stock seats re-foamed, same thing as a new aftermarket seat) and a sheepskin pad on the driver's seat.

Once you do that, the k1200gt is easy to ride several hundred miles in a day (did 700 miles in 2 days on her already), just like my old RT. The engine vibrates a lot less, gets better mileage, and puts about 55hp more to the ground than my old RT. The handling is better on the new GT. Love the electronic suspension (a must have on this bike) and cruise control.

I wouldn't mind if she weighed about 50 lbs less, but proper riding skillz and a good workout routine are all you need to control this heavy beast thumbsup.gif

This past weekend at the national Rally my Dad and I got to demo ride the K12GTs. My normal bike is 04R1150 RT and Dad rides 02GL18A. So we both had the same reaction, we didn’t really like the bike strait up stock. Next seat needed, adjustment of the bar risers, and maybe a diff windscreen. I was the first bike behind the leader, so I was not able to have any fun. But my Dad was well in the back. The motor is definitely strong! Hey it’s a sport bike with bags! But I fear I’m going to stick with my RT. When I need a new bike, I will again look at the RTs, and not the K12GT.

Snowy.

Lets_Play_Two

"So we both had the same reaction, we didn’t really like the bike strait up stock. Next seat needed, adjustment of the bar risers, and maybe a diff windscreen."

How is this different from the reaction to the stock RT? grin.gif

How is it different from the RT? A fair question. I have a 04R1150RT. I bought it used with 35k and an after market seat. I have now put 10k on the odometer with no complaints. The K12GT now, the demo ride at west bend was on roads I was familiar with, as I grew up near the area. The route was about 18 miles long and took maybe 25 minuets to complete. The seat was very uncomfortable. With leaning over more, I felt I was crushing myself! That does not happen on my RT. I do have the stock seat for my RT. I have put it on the bike, but have not done any major miles with it. The windscreen was the same as my RT, I needed it up the whole time to not be blasting me with wind. However, during the ride, my hands hurt and started to fall asleep. This does not happen on my RT. The bike had a much different ridding position; more weight was on wrist and elbows than I like. I had the same problem with my Concours years ago. This was the biggest problem we had and why I did not completely enjoy the bike. Yes, you can adjust the bars on the K12GT. However, the question was how it is different to an RT, in the respect of seat, windscreen and bars. The windscreen and seat are items that could be replaced if one wanted to on the RT. The bars on the RT are just right for me, no needed modifications.

I hope that answers your questions

Snowy.

I have not put many miles on an 04 RT but I do own an 07 RT.

I tried the GT, but sold it after 800 miles.

The wind protection was, to me, horrible with a lot of buffeting from the screen regardless of its setting. The seat just plain sucks and the pegs are to high and to far back for my comfort.

The engine vibes numbed my hands and the trans felt as if it was filled with gravel.

The suspension and steering are just plain ace. Very solid in crosswinds and cornering was effortless and smooth.

Brakes were adaquate.

The cruise control is a must if you have any intention of keeping a clean driving record. 100 mph+= is totally doable without intent. Again, use the CC.

Try it first. To me the new RT's are a much better bike..

This opinion is worth every penny that you paid for it.

I had an accident with my 2000 RT last month, and it was totaled. I loved that bike and had not planned on replacing it for many more years.

Well, now I had get another bike and I chose the GT. This bike is amazing.

I am 6' 2" 215 lbs, and find this bike very comfortable and a pleasure to ride.

I am in the process of getting, Heli risers, bigger Cee Baileys winshield, and of course a new seat (all BMW seats are horrible) Quite frankly I had to make all these modifications on my RT as well. The fairing is a little smaller on the GT (which is fine for the summer), and I am not concerned with winter riding when I have bigger shield and heated clothing.

Of course the best judge will be you, so take a demo ride on one.

Good Luck... smile.gif

My present ride is also a 04 R1150RT. Rode the K1200GT last week and I am going to buy one. Loved the power and the riding position is not as bent over as my VFR. Hope to conclude a deal in the next several days. clap.gif

04 RT owner here too, and considering a GT when the time comes but can anyone tell me if there is any product you can attach to the GT to prevent major cosmetic damage on a parking lot tip over?? The sides of the GT look like they'll be destroyed by a minor tip over.

can anyone tell me if there is any product you can attach to the GT to prevent major cosmetic damage on a parking lot tip over?? The sides of the GT look like they'll be destroyed by a minor tip over.
i'm thinking this might work

I currently have an '03 RT and am looking for an upgrade. Today I went down to the local BMW dealer and test rode both the '07 GT and '07 RT.

Here are my impressions based on about 20 miles of city and highway riding:

- The GT has lots of power, but I'm not sure I'll ever use it. With peak power coming at 9500 rpm, how many gears can you go through before you're well over the speedlimit? The RT has only 110 hp, but about 90% of the torque of the GT.

I enjoyed the smooth power of the GT, but the RT was deceptively quick too.

- The RT weighs about 45 lbs. less than the GT (and about 70 lbs less than my '03.) When sitting on the bikes, the GT seems smaller, but in low speed maneuvers, the weight saving of the RT is quite apparent. At speed, it is a non-issue.

- The RT was easier to handle around town. The GT throttle was on/off and I had to be careful in negotiating 90 degree turns. The RT throttle was very smooth and progressive.

- I like the integrated mirrors on the RT better than those on the stalks on the GT.

- The GT sounds more like a motorcycle. The RT sounds like a motor scooter especially at idle. Not a complaint; just an observation.

- My shifts on the GT were clunky, while on the RT they were were smooth. Familiarity with the RT line obviously impacted that.

- The windscreen on the RT shook when it was at idle. The GT's did not. Dealer told me that RT would smooth out in 3-4000 miles.

- Vibration on both bikes was minimal, though I did get a bit of a buzz in the bars at 60 on the GT.

- Seating position is a little more aggressive on the GT, but certainly acceptable for this 55 year old body. I had the bars in the highest position.

- Wind management was a little better on the RT, though I didn't care for the look of the wind screen. Side winds were not a problem on either bike.

- Going into a corner, the GT seemed to dive right in with little effort on my part. It encourages enthusiastic cornering. The RT also corners well, but in a somewhat more reserved style. The GT was just more sporting.

- The side stand on the RT puts the bike in a more upright position than does the GT. I'm concerned about parking the GT on a downslope.

20 miles does not provide a full appreciation of either bike. However, I came away with the feeling that the RT was easier to live with. The GT is lots of fun, but takes a bit more concentration to ride well.

With an $1800 price difference for comparably equipped bikes, it seems to me that cost is not the deciding factor. The me, the '07 RT is vast improvement over my '03 RT. The GT however is a totally new riding experience and if you want something that really feels new, the GT is the better choice.

I moved from an '04 Honda ST 1300A to the '07 K1220GT. I'm 5'9" at 165 pounds. From reading forum postings, I figured I'd have to replace the seat on the 12GT, plus the windscreen, and possibly have to install Heli Bars or some kind of bar back/riser.

My K12GT does have the tall BMW screen. I have 3,000 miles on the GT now and have ridden it for a couple of 400 mile days as well as canyons, freeways, etc.

The tall BMW windscreen is fine for me. I do not now intend to replace it. The seat is also fine. No complaints there. The bike came with the bars set on the highest setting that that also is fine for me.

Bike runs great. No twitchy throttle at all. Throttle is a joy compared to the abrupt throttle on my Honda ST 1300A. Power delivery is very smooth and strong in all gears and no flat spots at all.

I'm thinking about replacing the exhaust with a Remus but other than that, this bike has been wonderful "out of the box" so to speak. No ergo mods needed.

My brother has a new RT. The RT is a fine bike. The GT and RT are really different rides, and feel very different. Once you figure out which one fits and feels best to you, get it and you'll be glad you did.

Archived