IGNORED

Switching from R1200RT to K1200GT

Dietrich

Just having come back from the West Bend rally I saw a lot of GTs. Seems all different age group owners. I am a mature (63) rider with a 05 R1200RT. Has anyone switched from an RT to a GT who would like to give me his valueable input as to his impressions. For instance the data shows same seat height as the RT on the GT. I need the low seat on the RT to be comfortable. I am intrigued by the power, not that I would really use it much. Just a great looking machine. Thanks in advance for any advice you can give.

Dietrich

Dietrich - I personally find the riding position totally different. The K1200GT feels even more crouched forward than a FJR1300. Definitely less comfortable (for me anyway).

Dietrich: I came back from a previous MOA rally with my mind absolutely made up to buy a new K1200GT - it's awesome and beautiful. But then the boring rational side of my brain started asking - is it really worth $12k over the trade I would get on my most excellent 1150RT? Boring won, and I think I will happily ride the RT for a few more years, and see what BMW has cooked up in 2010.

I switched from the R1100R and love my K1200RS. The RS is obviously not a GT, but mine is- sorta GT-like. The first generation GT is a modification of the RS.

I am 63 also so I can speak to that part. The riding position is more forward but with barbacks it is perfect for my skinny, in-shape body.

The power is awesome. No, I dont use it either, but I love that it is there. What I am more impressed with is the overall smoothness, and the transmission is just awesome.

The specs may say the seat height is the same but I find the RS/GT sits lower than a RT. Do no know why, but I have both feet flat on the ground on the RS and have to pick one side or the other on the RT. Same for my R.

Try a road test. See if you can find a 03-04 first generation, before you go for a next generation GT. You may like it better as many do. It will also save you the huge price of entry.

The RS/GT is the great undervalued bike of the BMW line up.

Lets_Play_Two

I moved from an '03 1150 RT to an '07GT after also test riding the 1200RT. I personally don't find the riding position all that different with the bars in the high position. I am 62 and 6'4" so my knees would know right away if the seating position was not comfortable. Like everyone says I'll never use all the power but it is nice to be able to move away on the highway when you want to, something the RT could do but not as well. As I said I rode both and was swayed by the power and smoothness of the GT and had no problem with the riding position. grin.gif

As usual, interesting comments - I'm approaching 60 and 5'9" tall. At first, I found my GT with the factory low seat didn't fit me at all like my old '99 RT which was stock except for a Sargent low seat.

In fact, I was about ready to get rid of it until I found the combination of HeliBars, a peg lowering kit and a Sargent low seat on it - now its perfect.

Moral of the story - you can ask 6 people and get 7 opinions - get out and do a test ride yourself - you're the only one who can give you the best advice on what will work for you.

p.s. Its a great bike !! grin.gif

RichEdwards

I traded my '03 RT for an '07 GT. Except for the seat, which I'll be changing for a Rick Mayer leather seat, I find the GT about the same in comfort as my RT. I'm 63 and 6'2". The extra power and the cruise control made my 7700 mile trip to the Canadian Rockies in June a joy.

Dietrich,

After considering for many months what I was going to replace my again 94 R1100RS with, I was leaning heavily toward the new GT b/c of the power, looks, etc. I really wanted to be convinced this was the right bike for me. However, after riding it a couple of times..and riding the 12RT I came to the conclusion that the RT was the better bike, at least for me. What I really needed in a bike was a comfortable, quiet 2-up tourer. The GT I feel would probably be that but I believe the RT is better and after just finishing a 2 week 4300 mile trip on it I am very satisfied with my purchase. The specifics of why I chose the RT over GT are as follows:

- Absolutely no heat reaches the rider from the engine. This is important to me b/c of much hot weather riding. On the GT I felt some heat coming from around the tank.

- Very quiet and docile at low speeds on the RT which is nice for 2-up tours. GT sounded busy/noisy to me and noticable louder at low speeds.

- Along with the above, the wife preferred the seating and quietness of the RT over the GT.

- $2-3 grand more for the GT for equivalent setup.

- a seat and windshield that might not need immediate replacement like on the GT. Actually now, I will still be replacing both but the stock are not too bad.

- proven, reliable engine on the RT vs. some ?'s on the GT

- lighter and more nimble (GT may be more stable at high speeds.

- Better leg position on the RT (more legroom) I'm 6" 200 and don't like my legs too folded up.

So the GT may have more sex appeal and power than the RT but the RT still has plenty. It is not as apparent tho...after a slight dip in the power curve around 4500rpm you just need to wrench that throttle and you will find plenty there above 5K whereas with the GT teh power delivery seemed more immediate and willing.

Keep in mind that I have a Ducati as a 2nd bike. If I only had one bike I might want the additionaly thrill factor of the GT.

I went from a '05 RT to a '07 GT in Nov of '06. I've got about 12k on the GT now. I'm still getting used to the GT.

No more needs to be said about the engine.

The comfort level, for me, is not as good as the RT. Due to various injuries, I like the more upright sitting position of the RT. I put bar backs (ups?) on with a Rick Meyer seat. If you need to lower the bike, I would not recommend it. The design of the seat makes it nearly impossible to lower it. As for shocks, I haven't read anyone getting lowered shocks. Maybe the company that is working with the ESA's can do something.

My perfect bike would be a RT with the GT engine.

I'm 5'8", 215lbs and 48 yrs old. My BMW history is '89 R100RT, '97 R11RT, '05 R12RT and currently own a '91 GSPD and '07 GT. My wife has a '07 RT.

HTH,

Thanks for all your input. Very informative. I think my rational side is leaning towards staying with the RT. I will go and take the GT for a good run though just to find out what it feels like.

Ride safely!

Dietrich

Same for me. I could never get used to the boxer engine and went for a GT last week in replacement of my 06 RT.

Comfort level is better on the RT but the GT's engine is so much better (more flexible and no vibrations) Clutch action which I hated on the RT is perfect on the GT.

However after a 3 hour ride with many stops my SO hated the seat and ride (ESA adjusted to comfort position)

Yes, a RT with a GT engine would be the ideal ride...

That could be an expensive mitake.

I have been desiring a RT frame with a GT engine for 8 years now. I sure wish BMW would build it? If they did I would be standing there with my checkbook in hand and Ruby would have a "For Sale" sign on her.

I have had my '05 RT for 35k miles now and I am pleased with the comfort and overall performance. I did get to sit on a new GT at the dealer a while back and checked out the ergo differences. The GT has my knees scrunched up tighter than the RT just like my old Blackbird did, but the forward lean wasn't as bad as the Blackbird's. The seat on the GT feels narrower, too.

I do like the looks of the GT better than the RT, but I prefer the shorter wheelbase of the RT for tight quarters operation. I also prefer the ease of maintenance on the RT to the GT, as I do my own maintenace work. Sure, the power of the GT would be nice, but the RT has "enough" for sane riding.

Sorry about the rational stuff, I lost myself for a moment there. I think a second bike could be the answer.

Dietrich

I'll give you the opposite opinion. I went from an 06 RT to an 07 GT and back to an 07 RT. I didn't like the GT at all - not because its not a great bike (it is) but because BMW is still using us customers as beta testers on this bike while they get the bike right. In my 2+ months of ownership, it was in the shop for warranty work 5 or 6 times - very snatchy, jerky off throttle response, clutch chatter, clunky gearbox (makes the RT feel like butter), very high idle, no fuel gauge read-out, bad centerstand, and more. Many people have had real issues wiht this bike and, in particular, engine management software issues. While the engine is simply awesome and it handles extremely well, the other issues offset the good points of this bike. The GT does not have the wind and weather protection or the all day comfort of the RT, has less range, and it is more susceptible to wind gusts due to its slab sided fairing.

Take a long test ride before you buy and be sure the exhilaration of the motor is enough for you to deal with the problems that come with this bike.

I'll give you the opposite opinion. I went from an 06 RT to an 07 GT and back to an 07 RT. I didn't like the GT at all - not because its not a great bike (it is) but because BMW is still using us customers as beta testers on this bike while they get the bike right. In my 2+ months of ownership, it was in the shop for warranty work 5 or 6 times - very snatchy, jerky off throttle response, clutch chatter, clunky gearbox (makes the RT feel like butter), very high idle, no fuel gauge read-out, bad centerstand, and more. Many people have had real issues wiht this bike and, in particular, engine management software issues. While the engine is simply awesome and it handles extremely well, the other issues offset the good points of this bike. The GT does not have the wind and weather protection or the all day comfort of the RT, has less range, and it is more susceptible to wind gusts due to its slab sided fairing.

Take a long test ride before you buy and be sure the exhilaration of the motor is enough for you to deal with the problems that come with this bike.

Interesting..I have heard the same from many others. Then again many others love'em. Hmmmmmm...opinions, opinions. I would like to have that motor in the RT though!!!!!!!!!

RichEdwards

Not my experience. In 5 months and 11,000 miles, I've had zero problems. Engine is incredibly smooth, does not use a drop of oil, shifting is flawless. Yes, it's hard to get it up on the centerstand, especially when loaded for a trip, but otherwise it's a great bike. thumbsup.gif

I spent a considerable amount of time a while back pondering the exact question between a GT and an RT. I went from one to the other and back to the first again. The SO and I seemed to be at loggerheads over it with me preferring the GT and her the RT. I know, I know - just get both! (I hear you all saying - $$$$$)

I wanted the GT for the very reasons mentioned before with regards to smoothness, power etc. I have to admit to just not getting used to the boxer twin I have at present (1150RT) having come from 4's before that were so much smoother. I also don't like how easily the RT chokes off unless you rev the thing up. Every time it chokes off you are nearly flung off the bike - something else irratating. Had a couple of close shaves that way.

I have to admit that neither my wife nor I liked the seat on the GT. There just does not seem to be enough substance to save you butt from getting real sore. Also the GT I was on seemed to have a seat problem as it seemed very mobile.

To me the only thing the RT had going for it was the proven engine. The last thing you want is to get stranded somewhere miles from nowhere. Oh, and my wife was happier with the seat.

Anyway, cut a long story short, we went backwards and forward sufficient times until when it came to working out the $ I threw in the towel and went back to my 1150RT and took her home again. I think, like mentioned above, maybe I'll wait longer to see if BM sort out some of the issues some folks are having and maybe then I'll reconsider.

Archived