IGNORED

Looking at a 2006 DR-Z400

smiller

Looking at a 2006 DR-Z400 for trail use (and some road use to get to the dirt, and maybe more than that if the bike turns out to be capable of it.) The 650 class is just too heavy and I'd like a little more power than a KLX250S, plus I like the fit and surprising smoothness (for a single) of the Suzuki. Any gotchas on this bike? How is the aftermarket? Anybody lowered one? A little tall for me, but they all are.

After not being impressed with the build, Todd and I swapped a couple of months back for a ride in some moderately challenging stuff at a coal mine. I'll mention here that he dumped my KTM while I never came close to dumping his prissy little DRZ. tongue.gif

Anywhoo, I was impressed with the bike. The suspension and power aren't in the same league as a KTM 450, but it's a very rideable bike. By that I mean there are no weird handling quirks, it's predictable, offers tractable power, etc. I really liked it. And it wasn't nearly as "tall" feeling as my KTM (at 37.5" seat height).

Can't answer your other questions, but there are three of them headed on a trip in our group in a couple weeks, so that's how highly people think of them.

Firefight911

I just recently got rid of my DRZ. For no other reason than it is bike shuffle time. (Don't ask!!) dopeslap.gifgrin.gif

I swapped out the springs to match my weight (202lb.) and set them up accordingly. HUGE difference.

Huge aftermarket available.

Gotchas? Not really but definitely get case covers and radiator protectors as the side cases are easily holed by a lever in a get off and the radiators are NOT cheap!!

A lot of people swap the bars to a better bend for them though I never did this myself as I didn't seem to mind them.

Put some bark busters on to protect your hands from the inevitable and to reduce the broken lever expense in spills. I used Acerbis and loved them!

Kouba Links are good for lowering the bike if necessary. Just remember to lower the front as well.

Stock carbeuration tends to really suck but is dependant on your altitude. Several choices for this depending on what you want, pipe you run, and altitude you primarily ride in.

+2 on the rear sprocket will give you more low end grunt and will make it a little more tractable during slow speed stuff.

I would definitely go to Thumper Talk and read up a bit. Huge, oh heck, it's now an official word, ginormous amount of information to be had there.

Other than that, ride it baby. I loved the Dunlop 756 on it but this is not a DOT street legal tire so check on Thumper for alternatives.

Hope this helps!

I sold my DRZ for a new Honda450x.

Yes the X is fast but the maintenence is a joke.

Wish I had my bullet proof DRZ back and that AWESOME license plate that allowed me to ride it anywhere and not get caught by the nature Nazis.

If you ride without a plate your going to get a ticket because they can .

Off my soapbox now.

Buy the DRZ and have unlimited fun for cheap.

Oh yes buy the radiator gaurds and the side case protectors.

The suspension and power aren't in the same league as a KTM 450

Yeah, no doubt, but I think that the DRZ is more in line with my current skill level and intended use, not to mention budget... and I sure don't need anything taller.

but definitely get case covers and radiator protectors as the side cases are easily holed by a lever in a get off

So I've read. Sounds like a protection kit for the bike will make for a good investment.

I had found Thumper Talk, very helpful and the usual mind-numbing amount of data. Now I know what it must be like for newbies that show up here. grin.gif

I'll mention here that he dumped my KTM while I never came close to dumping his prissy little DRZ.

That KTM needed a little "roughing up"it was way too shiney. grin.gif

Anybody lowered one? A little tall for me, but they all are.

With a 30" inseam,I get pretty jealous of those long legged guys dabbing their way thru the rocks tongue.gif Being an inexpensive bike I have no problem stepping off and letting it fall when it gets over center. grin.gif

One option for getting a little lower is to get the factory Gel seat,or you can get lowering links,but some folks say that changes the spring rates,so get the links installed first before setting the suspension up for your weight.

I think the DRZ is a good entry level for someone who just wants to putt around on the trails and street licensed to do so. Not big on power or suspension quality but that's fixable. You can lower them two ways. You can run the front fork legs up in the clamps and purchase the lowering suspension link for about 100 bucks and your done. The best way is to send the forks and shock out and have the modification done to limit/lower the suspension and while they are doing that, they can set the valving and springs to your needs. A little more money but well worth the trouble if you plan to keep the bike. The motor is bullet proof and easy to maintain. Have fun with it thumbsup.gif

Nature Nazi's what's that all about?

If your riding were you shouldn't be, you deserve the ticket... I write them all the time to mentality types like that

It is home. So far just the normal set-up and tweaking and a little riding time. The stock carburetion seems halfway decent (or at least not as horribly lean as I've read) and I'm near sea level to boot. Not sure if I want to mess with it. Could use a little lower gearing but I need some more riding time to see how I want to balance that with on-road performance (which with the stock gearing is better than I expected, 70-75 is no problem.) Relatively low vibration for a single, actually not an uncomfortable ride save for the dreadful stock seat common to these bikes. The ride height is right on the edge for me but I'm going to see if I can get used to it as I'd rather not lower it if that can be avoided.

Now to spend some money... looking for a skid plate (are there any that also protect the side cases?), radiator protectors, and rack. Suspension upgrades will wait until I'm anywhere near good enough to need them... crazy.gif

896294-DRZ_2.jpg.762b1d414d1ed69101f300779b1cd932.jpg

steve.foote

Seth, like several here have already said, it's a great entry DS bike. I rode the stew out of my '02 model for six months and it only let me down once (problem with bolt in the stator coming loose, not a problem with newer models). It is very capable off road and reasonably well behaved on road.

Some of the things I changed on mine were going from stock 15/44 gearing to 14/47. This helped low end grunt significantly and yet was still able to crank out a top speed of around 70mph. Mine liked the Pirelli MT21 tires and I kept my suspension at stock settings with good results. Bark busters and a tail bag were my other addons.

The stock bars are a little low for standing while riding, but that's easily changed. Aftermarket options are endless. Local dealer has most of what you need for regular service.

I'd spend some time riding it before investing in lowering. I'm a 30" inseamer, and while I thought the bike was too tall at first, became very comfortable after I got the hang of it. All dirt bikes are tall. Every inch you lose by lowering the bike costs you on suspension travel and terrain clearance.

The DRZ400s is a great bike to get a better understanding of what you want in a dual sport bike. They hold their value very well and won't put you in the poor house as you learn. Once you've spent some time on it, you'll probably be ready for a change to something more powerful. By then, you'll know exactly what you want.

Good luck!

Some of the things I changed on mine were going from stock 15/44 gearing to 14/47. This helped low end grunt significantly and yet was still able to crank out a top speed of around 70mph.
I could live with that. By 'top speed' I assume you mean rev-limited... but still not too buzzy at 70?

I'd spend some time riding it before investing in lowering.
Yeah, I'm gonna. I'm 5'10" with the same 30" inseam and don't really have too much trouble with it on pavement, just foot-dabbing on tight corners in the dirt, etc.

The DRZ400s is a great bike to get a better understanding of what you want in a dual sport bike. They hold their value very well and won't put you in the poor house as you learn. Once you've spent some time on it, you'll probably be ready for a change to something more powerful.
Exactly my intention.

By then, you'll know exactly what you want.
Yeah... like maybe something in the 625cc range... grin.gif
steve.foote

I could live with that. By 'top speed' I assume you mean rev-limited... but still not too buzzy at 70?

No, not rev-limited. It's just that 70mph with DOT knobs is about all you would want to do. I never did hit the rev limiter on mine.

Yeah... like maybe something in the 625cc range... grin.gif

Rut row! Orange WILL spoil you forever. wink.gif

Archived