IGNORED

German police use unmarked motorcycle

motorman587

motorman587

Sorry I should of warned ya. The first stop the guy claims he was not going that first so the cop shows him the video. Second stop the guy was unhappy about the ticket and the third stop the cop the guy may have know it was unmark cop and hopped off. Once checked out his bike was broke down. I understand some German and that was the best I could do.

Rocket_Cowboy

Interesting video setup, particularly the telemetry. Looks like it was using a range finder type of device to id the rider in front of the officer, and then was determining speed based on the officer's speed and distance to the violator ... at least if I saw that correctly (and not understanding any German at all).

Pretty slick set up!

The first guy is busted and denies it, but is willing to go take a look--oops! He gets a fine of $75 Euro.

The second guy gets tagged for 111km in a 50kph zone. The cop automatically gives him a 6kph grace/tolerance/variation, but that's still 55kph over the limit and he gets a 150 Euro fine, four points on his license and a one month driving ban (but the cop tells him he can start it whenever it's convenient for him, like before he goes on vacation, etc.). The cop might have also tacked on a bit for being reckless for passing with oncoming traffic.

The third guy said he hadn't been riding in a long time and had some sort of mechanical problem coming into the curve. The cop accused him of seeing the police and ditching the bike, but the guy claimed not to have identified him as a cop (his back-up marked unit stayed out of sight until later). Then they checked him out for modifications (to see if he had "herumgeschraubt"--a great word! Literally: "screwed around with/on" his bike! lmao.gif ), checked his aftermarket pipe for TÜV compliance, looked for safety violations (they can also cite you for bald tires . . . Russell! grin.gif ). They said his version sounded too "adventurous" and ran his reg and license to make sure his story checked out (which it did), and I guess with nothing concrete to pin on him, gave him a push to get him going home. Giving truth to the old adage: "The Policeman: your friend and helper"! thumbsup.gif

I wonder if radar detectors are legal there?? blush.gif

Pretty slick set up!

The first guy is busted and denies it, but is willing to go take a look--oops! He gets a fine of $75 Euro.

The second guy gets tagged for 111km in a 50kph zone. The cop automatically gives him a 6kph grace/tolerance/variation, but that's still 55kph over the limit and he gets a 150 Euro fine, four points on his license and a one month driving ban (but the cop tells him he can start it whenever it's convenient for him, like before he goes on vacation, etc.). The cop might have also tacked on a bit for being reckless for passing with oncoming traffic.

The third guy said he hadn't been riding in a long time and had some sort of mechanical problem coming into the curve. The cop accused him of seeing the police and ditching the bike, but the guy claimed not to have identified him as a cop (his back-up marked unit stayed out of sight until later). Then they checked him out for modifications (to see if he had "herumgeschraubt"--a great word! Literally: "screwed around with/on" his bike! lmao.gif ), checked his aftermarket pipe for TÜV compliance, looked for safety violations (they can also cite you for bald tires . . . Russell! grin.gif ). They said his version sounded too "adventurous" and ran his reg and license to make sure his story checked out (which it did), and I guess with nothing concrete to pin on him, gave him a push to get him going home. Giving truth to the old adage: "The Policeman: your friend and helper"! thumbsup.gif

I wonder if radar detectors are legal there?? blush.gif

Nope

The Swedish police also use unmarked traffic motorcycles.

BTW, I would not pull over for an unmarked motorcycle, non-uniformed officer. Lots of police impersonator clowns are running around out there.

The Swedish police also use unmarked traffic motorcycles.

BTW, I would not pull over for an unmarked motorcycle, non-uniformed officer. Lots of police impersonator clowns are running around out there.

I'm not sure if that's been a problem in Germany, but it's definitely an issue in the U.S. I've never been confronted with the situation, but how a citizen should respond to someone with a bubble light who's flashing a badge is a situation fraught with peril. As you mention, there are a lot of clowns who buy fake badges and/or credentials and victimize people. On the other hand, some of the real cops--at least in metro areas like Chicago--drive around in battered cars and dress like bums.

One other thing that's noteworthy about the unmarked German Polizei is the fact that this represents a change in attitude from not too many years ago, when the traffic enforcement authorities in many European countries criticized the use of unmarked vehicles. They took the position that the hhigh visibility of the authorities was a greater deterrent to traffic violations.

On the other hand, some of the real cops--at least in metro areas like Chicago--drive around in battered cars and dress like bums.

Every time "Cops" has the Pittsburgh unit where the guys drive around in totally unmarked cars, with the cops wearing jeans, t-shirts, and the guys usually sporting long hair and unruly facial hair, I listen in amazement as they tell their prey that they're charging them for fleeing or resisting and wonder how much of that sticks. The notion that two thuggish looking guys shouting "Police!" at me means I'm supposed to believe that seems seriously flawed.

A similar thought occurred to me when I first saw the video. "Yeah, right, I'm going to pull over for some cheesy red LED sign that says it's a cop." I have no idea what I'd do if I was in the boonies and some unmarked car with interior-mounted lights tried to pull me over.

One other thing that's noteworthy about the unmarked German Polizei is the fact that this represents a change in attitude from not too many years ago, when the traffic enforcement authorities in many European countries criticized the use of unmarked vehicles. They took the position that the hhigh visibility of the authorities was a greater deterrent to traffic violations.

And I'm sure they're right. However, it doesn't bring in as much revenue. Perhaps this is a sign that the normal reach into the taxpayer's wallet, even in high-tax Europe, no longer sates the state. Once given free reign to take what they want by whatever means, the appetite becomes voracious. We're starting to see more and more of that here, as well.

Greg--

As an ex-cop and a prosecutor, my inclination would be to activate my turn signal or four-way flashers, proceed to a lit, populated area (even if it's miles away), and, if at all possible, dial 911 en route.

While doing this might piss off some cops, it's clearly the safest thing to do. I'd rather end up fighting a failure to stop/avoiding arrest rap for doing the above, than rolling the dice and hoping that it's a real cop. Of course, if you're REALLY in the boonies, the dynamics of the situation change.

Maybe some of our LEO members have some other thoughts on this.

Archived