IGNORED

Riding Couples: Can I Pick Your Brains?

Ben_Ricci

I’m looking for a bit of advice or wisdom from seasoned couples who ride. I couldn’t think of a better place to ask then among this great community of riders.

So here goes: I’m considering purchasing a second bike. I currently have a ’05 ST and love it. For where I ride and how I ride it doesn’t have any shortcomings. My wife is an excellent passenger/co-pilot and has some limited riding experience of her own (years ago she rode my Seca II for a while). I have had motorcycles on and off since college—that’s 25 years if that’s relevant. I use my ST for mainly recreation and commuting. The reason I am considering a second bike is despite the fact my wife is an excellent passenger there are times when I’d rather be riding one-up, although I do enjoy two-up riding (particularly with Autocom). I really don’t like solo riding (being by myself on a ride or trip) all that much, I’m a bit shy and don’t know any other riders in my area. My wife is more tomboy than girly-girl and suggested on her own that she wants to take her riding experience to the next level (me whispering..."But she needs to take BRC and ERC classes" grin.gif). I know that would go a long way toward improving her skills. I should add we’re both 45-years-old and she’s known me as long as I have been riding therefore we are both aware of the inherent risks involved with motorcycling.

I’m looking for a second bike we can share. I don’t think she’s ready to ride the ST. It’s a bit tall and top heavy for her. However, I don’t want to purchase a bike that we both wouldn’t be happy riding. My initial thoughts on “the right bike” at this point are a Wee-Strom (potential seat height issue here), Monster 695, a HD Sportster, BMW F800ST (another seat height issue) or a Buell Lightning Scg. I’m looking for something that is a mechanical and functional departure from my ST. We’re both inseam challenged—she more so than me.

If I can find the right bike in the $10,000 +/- price range, ownership of a second bike would not be a financial burden for us, so this doesn’t add weight to the decision. My wife and I are physically about the same size, so we have a plethora of riding gear we currently share, so the expense of additional gear isn’t a factor either. For the accountants out there I know there are more financially prudent ways to use our money, but in my opinion it’s a small price to pay for what may be very satisfying and enriching lifelong experiences. I’ve owned multiple bikes in the past and I know a potential downside is one of the bikes may not get ridden as much as it should. I would do most routine maintenance myself.

I suppose I’m looking for input from riding couples who may have dealt with a similar issue: bike sharing with a difference in initial riding experience. I’m less concerned about selecting the right bike. I think I can figure out the best option (a partially depreciated well-optioned F800ST might be right, but I’m not willing to wait that long).

Any thoughts or comments regarding this transition would be greatly appreciated. wave.gif

My SO and I have well over 5k miles together on our 1200ST. Prior to this bike, I had an F650CS. That may be a good choice for your wife as it is a very friendly (i.e., manageable) bike, is a good size for a new rider, particularly one with a shorter inseam. It also is a capable machine and she could easily keep up with you on rides of two to three hours. If we had the desire for a second bike, that would be my choice. It is also a good "around town" bike. Nice CS's can be had for $7,500 and under. Note that the GS's are taller and less friendly IMO.

russell_bynum

SV650.

Ninja 650.

FZ6

Cheap. Forgiving. Sliders are available to protect the expensive bits in a tipover or crash. More fun than a barrel of monkeys.

I really like the SV650, but the others are great bikes as well.

Suzuki SV650 with ABS. Nice little bike, about $6k new, your budget leaves lots of $$$'s left over to farkle it to you® hearts content!

Fun fun fun little machines.

russell_bynum
Suzuki SV650 with ABS. Nice little bike, about $6k new, your budget leaves lots of $$$'s left over to farkle it to you® hearts content!

That's right...I forgot the new SV can be had with ABS.

Assuming Suzuki did a decent job implementing it (which I assume they did), and given what a riot the old SV was, that would be my choice in a heartbeat.

Another plus: Since the SV is so popular in club racing, there's a boatload of experience out there on how to make them work, how to make them better, etc as well as a good selection of aftermarket bits.

Lets_Play_Two

My wife decided last fall that she was interested in being the rider rather than the passenger. She took the MSF course and we then started to look for rides for her. I must say that she is 5'11" so seat height was not an issue. After trying several of those you mentioned she got on the F650GS and decided that was the ride for her. She has since tried the F800 and was not made unhappy about her choice of the F650. This may change as she has more experience but for now she is happy with what she has. She may even take her own ride to the Unrally in September rather than ride behind me.

To the extent she can, I would encourage test rides because that is really the only way to make a fully informed decision.

Paul Mihalka

In a couple of weeks the factory lowered F800ST will be at the BMW dealers. For fun riding it will compete with your R1200ST grin.gif

ShovelStrokeEd

I would not leave a Honda VFR out of this equation although I admit to lusting after an SV650 as well. A lot of dealers have VFRs sitting on their floors and one can usually make a pretty good deal on them. It is a sweet bike and would make a good stable mate for your ST. Year doesn't much matter except that the newer ones are easier to get the factory luggage for. A little internet shopping could probably even find a brand new '05 or '06 still around somewhere. Two up ride of up to 1000 miles to go pick one up and then a paired ride home sounds like a perfect way to get acquainted with one.

I know my local dealer has two gorgeous glory red '07's sitting on the floor and he would be very motivated to sell one. Both have factory bags and a tail bag or tank bag would make this a wonderful sport touring bike. As I recall, seat height should not be an issue, my '00 is nice and low, handles wonderfully and I have never found it lacking in the power department. In fact, it would be a pretty good match for an ST.

The only bike I ever regret selling was my 1st year round tube SV650 standard. I had Race-Tech'd the front end, Galfer brake lines, Factory stage one jet kit, Yosh RS-3 slip on, and a Fox twin clicker on the back.

It was a back roads wolf in sheeps clothing. Selling was dumb dumb dumb. dopeslap.gif

my wife just decided to take up riding this spring.. kind of out of the blue she and her friend registered for the MSF class and completed it in May..

within a week we decided on a Ninja 650R for her, a bike shes been incredibly happy with.. in just two months shes put nearly 2k miles on it and going strong... shes' already eyeballing a larger bike for next year though and that would be a Triumph Sprint ST, a bike one of my friends owns.. she sat on it once and fell in love

When I shopped for the 650 as a new rider, I looked at the V-Strom. Although I know many riders like the bike, it just did not seem all that friendly to me as a new rider. I opted for the 650CS. Just my .02 worth.

That's right...I forgot the new SV can be had with ABS.

Assuming Suzuki did a decent job implementing it (which I assume they did), and given what a riot the old SV was, that would be my choice in a heartbeat.

Another plus: Since the SV is so popular in club racing, there's a boatload of experience out there on how to make them work, how to make them better, etc as well as a good selection of aftermarket bits.

I rode my son's SV650S from Chicago to Grand Forks, ND a few days ago and can confirm that it's a more than passable sport touring mount. His bike has Heli-Bars and a Corbin seat, along with Cortech soft bags. What a great bike!

It's not quite the mileage muncher that my R12ST is. There's more handlebar vibration and greater wind blast, but it's really a very competent machine. My 720-mile, 12-hour trip was a bit more than I'd recommend for the SV, but I could definitely see doing easy 300 - 500 mile days on it.

milesandmiles

After 25 yrs on the back of mine, my wife took the BRC and bought a Suzuki Savage. I think it's current name is the S40. Anyway, it's aircooled, single cyl, only weighs 350 lbs, sits low, and is plenty powerful. The reviews call it a "paragon of simplicity". She loves it, is comfortable and confidant on it, and has no trouble keeping up with my RT, usually. I think hers is a 99 and cost $1700 last year. Very affordable and in high demand when she starts over-riding it and wants for bigger. thumbsup.gif

It was a back roads wolf in sheeps clothing.

I have to agree with all above regarding the SV. It's a great buy and a great bike. I bought one just for canyon cruzing locally and don't let the looks (or the lack of horsepower) fool you. I bought the standard (not the S) and it is actually a very comfortable riding position. I put an aftermarket windscreen on which helped a lot with wind protection. It's even more fun if you upgrade the stock suspension, but it is not a necessity. I think she would enjoy it and when she's not riden it you'd probably enjoy it too!!

Whatever Norah says! She is, afterall, the Queen of Lean.

'Specially if you can let your SO tinker with the bike a bit for your weekend track use. Say, something like...

sv-650-nov2001-2223.jpg

SV650, Ninja 650, FZ6

I really like the SV650, but the others are great bikes as well.

We have both Ninja and an SV that my wife and the teenage kids ride. Bullet proof, no maintenance, inexpensive. We thrash them at track days, do nothing but change oil and tires, and they still run/look like brand new...

Well, we are a paired riding couple. You can keep some of the conversation going with bike to bike radio. Although most spend more, if you are not integrating other components (music, cell, gps) you can implement b2b for less than $200.

Sharon is inseam challenged, she is 5'2" and rides an '07 RT. She talks about lowering, but hasn't done anything yet, other than the stock low seat.

She looked at the F800ST, in fact waited over a year for it to arrive in NA, followed every forum and discussion of the EU riders, and pestered the local dealer incessantly as the delivery date neared. She was nervous about the height, but the bike is so light and easy to ride that she felt comfortable on her test ride.

The RT is a much heavier bike and she handles it fine. She figures sooner or later she'll drop it, but she put on the cylinder head and luggage protectors, and just accepts that fact.

We had (still have) Suzuki C50's for starter bikes. We've had them out on the road, but even with windshields you get beat up in 200 miles, and they are never going to keep pace with you on the R1200ST. I would not recommend a cruiser in your situation, though they are fun around town.

Anyway we enjoy riding paired instead of 2up. We never rode 2up, so can't help you much on the transition, but here are some differences as I see it:

You can carry more stuff when you tour, 2 sets of luggage and 2 sets of payload limits

You have a way to go for help if there is a problem with one bike

Each person has more fun riding, and can ride their own way

Each person can set their bike up the way they want

You get to burn twice the fuel.... bncry.gif

You can't have your pillion take the pictures over your shoulder, so you get to stop more and look around

The bikes are more fun more lightly loaded

I got my fiance started in April 2005. We were looking at a Buell Blast, and of course the usual UJMs in the 500-600cc category. She then suddenly decided that she would only accept a bike that "looks like THAT one!" - she pointed at my 1974 R90/6.

Who would say no to that? So we went to IBMWR and began a search. Soon enough, we found a 1971 R60/5 which was lovingly cared for by its previous two owners, and cost next to nothing. It was the "look" she wanted, and it was a BMW airhead, so I was happy as well. Here are Terri and her R60/5 together when we picked it up - http://www.mklsportster.com/r60log.htm We took our airheads all over the east coast together in 2005, and besides the ancient bikes being somewhat finicky by modern standards, we had a hoot!

Anyway, fast forward a year and we were planning our cross country journey. We both decided something more luxurious was in order for both of us, and that's when we bought our Oilheads - a 2004 RT for me, and a 2004 R for her. Here is her R swr269.jpg

The Airhead experience taught her some basic mechanicals, as well as to appreciate modern advances in technology while keeping a fondness for the character of the older machines.

Long story short, we completed our cross country trip this past May (pics http://www.mklsportster.com/shortwayround.htm ) and you could not imagine the envy I got from other riders that my Terri was on her own machine instead of riding pillion. The experience of the trip was nothing but enhanced as we braved the challenges together, yet separately on our own bikes. We both felt an equal sense of independent accomplishment when all was said and done. The benefits have all been previously stated, so I won't repeat them here. If you can, encourage your better half to ride her own. It's very rewarding. thumbsup.gif

-MKL

Thanks to everyone for your responses: lots of useful tips and ride suggestions for us to consider. wave.gif

Moshe and Twisties I found your comments particularly useful feedback for the non-equipment-oriented aspect of this undertaking. thumbsup.gif

(How did I overlook the SV650? blush.gif I looked them over last fall at the local Honda/Kawasaki/Yamaha/Suzuki dealer while I was getting my ST inspected as part of the Pa. registration process. They seemed like a very good value.)

One thing to remember. I take it this is going to primarily be your wife's bike. As such the decision on which bike is purchased should be primarily hers. You can advise her but dont push too hard.

Yankee Dog

My wife (then girlfriend, she got promoted twice ;) rode on the back of my 1150R in 2003 one time before I decided it was serious enough that I needed a better bike for 2 up riding so I bought my 04 1150RT. She rode as a passenger that summer and then took the basic MSF. In the spring of 2004 we bought her a 97 F650ST (again she is 5'8") so seat height not a problem. It had been lowered and we raised it up a month later.

We just replaced that bike with a 98 1100R this spring. I didn't go looking for a bike we both could ride. We looked at a variety of bikes before we got the F650 but when it came time to replace it she WANTED a BMW.

I would recommend that given the amount of money you are willing to spend you get her what she wants and pick up something else used you want to play with....

We have ridden with B2B and without B2B and I prefer with.

Casticus and Yankee Dog good thoughts. Thanks. She's making the final decision, I'm just doing the legwork. grin.gif The sharing concept is hers (and pretty emphatic). I'll share this thread with her. I already have the motorcycle I want. If I was buying a second bike, I'd probably be looking at an older K bike--and not thinking of sharing. wink.gif

First I need to correct my husband (Casticus) I am 5'9" not 5'8" (hey I am proud of that inch grin.gif)

As far as bikes.. I would definitly suggest finding one she is comfortable with even if it not one you neccesarily want. If she is going to be riding she needs to be comfy w/the bike and want it or it will just sit. I suggest having her sit on several brands/sizes of bikes.

When we looked at my first bike we ended up with a 650ST used. It was a great first bike and enabled me to really learn how to ride, while not being terrified of size/weight. Some bikes also are abled to be lowered (the 650 for example) so you could check into this option also. I agree with taking the BRC it really helps- I took it after being a passanger and reccomend it. When she gets her own bike I'd look into B2B communicators- they come in very handy.

russell_bynum
First I need to correct my husband (Casticus) I am 5'9" not 5'8" (hey I am proud of that inch grin.gif)

As far as bikes.. I would definitly suggest finding one she is comfortable with even if it not one you neccesarily want. If she is going to be riding she needs to be comfy w/the bike and want it or it will just sit. I suggest having her sit on several brands/sizes of bikes.

When we looked at my first bike we ended up with a 650ST used. It was a great first bike and enabled me to really learn how to ride, while not being terrified of size/weight. Some bikes also are abled to be lowered (the 650 for example) so you could check into this option also. I agree with taking the BRC it really helps- I took it after being a passanger and reccomend it. When she gets her own bike I'd look into B2B communicators- they come in very handy.

Excellent point. It doesn't matter how 'perfect' the bike is on paper. If she doesn't like it, she isn't going to want to ride it.

We sold a nearly perfect starter bike (Bandit 600) for a bike that was heavier, more expensive, and had inferior suspension (K75) because Lisa just didn't like the Bandit, and she loved that K75.

Buell_XB12Scg_Lightning.jpg

Easy solution: Buell's XB12scg (short cg) Lightning. A 28 inch seat height, light enough for her to be safe on, tons of fun for you to push the envelope on. And you'll be able to pick up a 1-3 year old one for way less than the $10,000 you have budgeted. A new one won't set you back any more than that.

Buell_XB12Scg_Lightning.jpg

Easy solution: Buell's XB12scg (short cg) Lightning. A 28 inch seat height, light enough for her to be safe on, tons of fun for you to push the envelope on. And you'll be able to pick up a 1-3 year old one for way less than the $10,000 you have budgeted. A new one won't set you back any more than that.

+ the 2008 models have a heated grip option (less than $200).

My wife started out as a backseater, her first bike was a KLR-250, second was an Aprilia "Pegaso" 650; she rode that bike all over CA with me. One month after we got married we traded her 650 in on a R-1150-R (I sold the GL-1500 I had for R-1150-GS funding). 2 years later, her Roadster was wasted in a crash, replaced by her current R-1150-RS. Late last year as we were thinking about getting her a new car or SUV, she says: "Honey, lets get a new bike instead, lets get a K-1200-S." Well, who the hell am I to argue? We share that bike, but we travel on the GS & the RS (Autocoms). We have ridden to Canada twice, and in 10 of the lower 48 states together on various trips and photo expeditions. There are a lot of bikes out there that will fill the need, but like I told Carrie, (nicewife) find the bike that that you want, and you will want to ride it.

CoarsegoldKid

My wife is 5'4" so most any bike is too tall. Her first bike was a Yamaha Seca 500 4banger. We had Corbin build a seat that got her feet closer to the ground. After a time she wanted a Honda 700 Sabre so we got one of those and again Corbin to the rescue. I also put on lower profile tires to drop it somemore. It worked well that way. But not recommended for low angle cornering I would think. When I rode it it felt like a drag bike. Wife enjoyed riding slow and easy.

• 2 weeks later...

To all, thanks so much for your input in this thread. One of the most valuable tips was allowing her to pick the bike she was most comfortable with and it turns out that was her most critical criteria. I ended up spending a bit more than I wanted, but cost wouldn't matter if she was happy riding, SO without further ado, here is how this saga ends...I present Kelly and her new bike:

179143059-M.jpg

Factory lowered F800ST and a happy re-entry rider.

Thanks again from both of us. Happy riding to all! wave.gif

Thanks Motorrad4Fun and Sharon.

Our dealer made us aware a factory lowered F800ST was on the way. Fortunately it was equipped exactly as she wanted, so it was a matter of just being at the right place at the right time. I don't know if you can order them or not, or if a dealer receives a certain allocation? They are certain to be popular. The only drawback is the lowered version does not have a centerstand. wave.gif

I’m looking for a second bike we can share. I don’t think she’s ready to ride the ST. It’s a bit tall and top heavy for her. However, I don’t want to purchase a bike that we both wouldn’t be happy riding. My initial thoughts on “the right bike” at this point are a Wee-Strom (potential seat height issue here), Monster 695, a HD Sportster, BMW F800ST (another seat height issue) or a Buell Lightning Scg. I’m looking for something that is a mechanical and functional departure from my ST. We’re both inseam challenged—she more so than me.

Why does it have to be a bike you can share. You said you can afford it. Let her get the bike she wants with no compromising. If you want a second bike get one you want. A compromise never satisfies anyone.

Archived