IGNORED

Loud pipes save lives

gasser

Here's an article from the latest issue of Harley Hog Tales. It demonstrates that stereotyping all riders of a particular brand makes no sense.

I scanned the article and apparently too long. Let me see if there is another way to do this. I'm not too swift on the attached file stuff.

Les is more

In the interest of copyright issues, please don't scan and make available the entire article. You may quote, with proper credit, some small passages to illustrate your point.

Thanks!

Quiet Pipes Speak Volumes

By Bob Lowery

Hog Tales, July/August 2007

In this article, Bob addresses loud pipes and the belief that they save lives. He points out that most accident investigations reveal that people say: “I didn’t see him.” not, “I didn’t hear him.” Bob challenges the notion that loud pipes save lives. In fact, he argues that if “loud” saves lives, are there a disproportionate number of Gold Wing riders killed every year because of how quiet their bikes run? He says, “The only thing loud pipes do, I believe, is scare motorists, particularly elderly drivers.” Bob is active in HOG (past regional director) and life-long Harley guy. His position…” it should be obvious to any motorcyclist that only smart riding saves lives.”

This is a great article and may convince some critics that those of us who throw a leg over the saddle of a HD are not addicted to noise.

By Bob Lowery

In this article, Bob addresses loud pipes and the belief that they save lives. He points out that most accident investigations reveal that people say: “I didn’t see him.” not, “I didn’t hear him.” Bob challenges the notion that loud pipes save lives. In fact, he argues that if “loud” saves lives, are there a disproportionate number of Gold Wing riders killed every year because of how quiet their bikes run? He says, “The only thing loud pipes do, I believe, is scare motorists, particularly elderly drivers.” Bob is active in HOG (past regional director) and life-long Harley guy. His position…” it should be obvious to any motorcyclist that only smart riding saves lives.”

This is a great article and may convince some critics that those of us who throw a leg over the saddle of a HD are not addicted to noise.

I'll take sides with those who don't like excessive noise. I like to hear my stereo, and although most of my friends who ride HD's like a throaty exhaust, most don't like the cacaphony of straight pipes. I'll wager that's where most of the complaints lie, where a throaty tone crosses the threshold into obnoxious noise.

The only time I think maybe a loud bike might help in making its presence known is while overtaking a car on a multi-lane road, but I wouldn't depend on it as a mechanism for active safety.

The only time I think maybe a loud bike might help in making its presence known is while overtaking a car on a multi-lane road, but I wouldn't depend on it as a mechanism for active safety.

Maybe if the tips of straight pipes were turned to face forward instead of to the rear.... grin.gif

Can someone point to or link to an online (electronic) version of this article? I don't want to join HOG just to read that article.

Regards,

Mike O

Dick_at_Lake_Tahoe_NV

"Maybe if the tips of straight pipes were turned to face forward instead of to the rear...."

That may not help because a lot of "Straight Pipe" Harley Riders I know wear ear-plugs. Pretty Hypocritical me thinks. dopeslap.gif

milesandmiles

"Loud pipes save lives" is just self serving illogic. Most significant noise is abeam and aft of the pipes, as insinuated by the reply about facing the pipes forward. Loud pipes are simply obnoxious and cry "look at me, look at me". By they're logic, we should all ride around with our horn buttons taped down. How about riding defensively and maintaining situational awareness, ya think. If small animals scatter and babies cry when you pass by, rethink your idea of "cool". clap.gif

By they're logic, we should all ride around with our horn buttons taped down.

Does anybody know if the RT horns are rated for continuous duty? I already wear earplugs, and one can't be too safe... grin.gif

Can someone point to or link to an online (electronic) version of this article? I don't want to join HOG just to read that article.

I wouldn't mind scanning this and providing it for viewing from my Web site. I wonder how much of a copyright infringement this would be. Anyone care to advise?

Officer_Impersonator

You can re-post anything that's been publicly published/disseminated as long as you do it for informational purposes only and there is no possibility of you making any money from your having re-posted the article.

I was on a trip that was featured as a cover story in Outside Magazine a couple of years ago. I've had that article posted on my web site for three years now without a complaint.

Hawg wash! Loud pipes are freekin obnoxious! That's why I love to blow off Harleys. Get me outta here so I can start enjoying my ride again.

I'll bet there are plenty of public servants out there that have had wrecks in their crusier, ambulance, fire truck etc. sirens blairing and the other driver said "I just didn't see them".

Loud pipes are "look at me" pipes plain and simple. If it wasn't for Harleys the only thing I'd hear on the highway especially at night, would be trucks and they're just as freakin obnoxious as well. Sorry to all those truckers you do a great service for all of us and your gettin screwed for doing it. OTR ain't what it used to be.

ISYHTRAH

P.S. Loud pipes are in the same catagory as the traveling getto blaster. Shut the freak up I don't need to hear about disrespecting woman, public servants and how the F this and F that works. Go home and F yourself. I don't want to be part of your program. BTW in Florida it's against the law to be over certian decibels and it's enforced. I believe there is a law for loud pipes as well. Can we get that enforced?

Geez, I'm just not a morning person.

ISYHTRAH

"Maybe if the tips of straight pipes were turned to face forward instead of to the rear...."

That may not help because a lot of "Straight Pipe" Harley Riders I know wear ear-plugs. Pretty Hypocritical me thinks. dopeslap.gif

Apparently you don't thinks very much.dopeslap.gif Most riders I know on any marque wear earplugs - it's not the exhaust noise; it's the wind roar.

Which is not to defend loud pipes. I won't ride anywhere near somebody running a Thunderheader on his machine, for example.

Pilgrim

You can re-post anything that's been publicly published/disseminated as long as you do it for informational purposes only and there is no possibility of you making any money from your having re-posted the article.

That's very bad advice.

Joe Frickin' Friday

I'd suggest you look up "fair use" doctrine. If an author retains copyright, you're not allowed to redistribute his work without permission, except for a small portion thereof to illustrate a point of your own.

I was on a trip that was featured as a cover story in Outside Magazine a couple of years ago. I've had that article posted on my web site for three years now without a complaint.

I've regularly exceeded posted speed limits for a couple of decades now; the fact that no one complained does not mean I wasn't violating the law.

St0nkingByte

Aside from the personal pleasure of a noisy bike there's really no other use for loud pipes except to annoy, harass and torment the public. Most normal, modern, polite humans will defer their own personal gratification if it will impede the lives of others, that is unless they are evil or stupid.

So why do they hate us so much?

LOUD PIPES DO SAVE LIVES!!!

I noticed while riding on the Blue Ridge Parkway last year that there was not one single case of road-kill for the entire length. I think this is a direct result of every living creature within a mile of the road being scared into the deep woods by the herds of Hardly Fergusons bellowing their way through the mountains. In groups of six or more they gave at least two miles of warning that they were coming.

Sure makes deer whistles on RTs superfluous.

LOUD PIPES DO SAVE LIVES!!!

I noticed while riding on the Blue Ridge Parkway last year that there was not one single case of road-kill for the entire length. I think this is a direct result of every living creature within a mile of the road being scared into the deep woods by the herds of Hardly Fergusons bellowing their way through the mountains. In groups of six or more they gave at least two miles of warning that they were coming.

Sure makes deer whistles on RTs superfluous.

Good point. Well, we've come up with one positive. Anyone else?

ISYTHRAH

So, what everyone is suggesting is that we make a two hour recording of a loud exhaust to be used with an ipod. That way, people who like loud pipes can play it while riding and not bother the rest of the world.

Dennis Andress

Oh wow, this topic still gets air - eek.gifeek.gif

I suppose that if I bring up any suggestion that loud pipes are just somebody else's way of expressing themselves it would be like throwing fuel on the fire... But then again, not everyone rides because they like being a little bit different then the norm..

93205277-L.jpg

That's why I love to blow off Harleys. . . . If it wasn't for Harleys the only thing I'd hear on the highway especially at night . . .

Maybe you're being tongue in cheek here so forgive me if that's the case. You seem to have a lot of issues with Harley Davidson. Loud obnoxious pipes are the function of the owner, not the manufacturer (at least the last time I heard an unmodified HD that was the case). Are you equally offended by sport bikers and hot rod cars with modified exhaust systems? Who do you go and "blow off" when you hear those loud radios you mention (Sony or Hitachi)? There's nothing wrong with pointing out behavior that is offensive to you but please place the blame where it belongs. That, of course, is only my opinion for what it's worth.

Dennis Andress
Why do people need to express themselves?

That's why I love to blow off Harleys. . .

Because they have something to say?????

Lets_Play_Two
Why do people need to express themselves? This has been edited I figured I'd get in trouble.

ISYHTRAH

To quote somebody:

"Most people who express themselves (in any variety of ways) are usually healthier then those who don’t because human interaction brings good health. Self expression is also one of the quickest and most effective ways to relieve stress. Being too quiet can lead to depression or frustration because of the loss of human contact. Self-expression is essential to sanity as well. Its completely natural to talk or want to share info with others. Different forms of self-expression lead to a clearer state of mind and well being. When you express your thoughts without hesitation and complete honesty you enter a state of peace within yourself. That is a way of your body expressing to you that your self-expression leads to feeling good. Precaution and consideration should be added to insure a sense of courtesy."

It is just plain old good mental health, within the confines of the law, courtesy and decency.

DaveTheAffable

By Bob Lowery

In this article, Bob addresses loud pipes <SNIP>

... His position…” it should be obvious to any motorcyclist that only smart riding saves lives.”

I thinks some of you missed the point. This is a Harley guy who DISAGREES with the notion / excuse that "loud pipes save lives." crazy.gif

Archived