IGNORED

R1100S info

wrestleantares

wrestleantares

I am looking at supplementing my LT with an R1100S.

I have been looking at reviews, but still have a few questions.

The mileage on the bike seems to vary greatly. No surprise as the bike can encourage more wild riding. What kind of mileage do you think I can reasonably expect with one up touring of a mild nature (adhering to the limits of the law and not a spirited sport ride). I don't care if I lower the MPG to 30 or so with spirited mountain rides, after all a 120 miles of that kind of riding would require me to at least take an adrenaline break. I would like close to 200 range for touring (preferably more).

Seat Height - I am not overly concerned with seat height, as I ride an LT (The LT is low seat 30.3 but it is wider than the S), but is the 31.5 seat height laden or unladen? I assume unladen.

Is ABS on all 1999-2003 US models?

The bike would be primarily used for fair weather commuting (I'll continue to use the LT during foul weather), weekend sport, and touring if I am by myself.

I think that it would make a good match with my LT to give me more range in the type of riding that I enjoy.

I got about 40 miles per gallon on my 99 S, but much higher if it was just interstate riding. As I recall ABS was an option in '99.

Great looking bike, but my physical comfort on it ended at about 250 miles. Also, the tank is small, and at 130 miles I started looking for a gas station.

I had mine for six years. I started the S forum on Pelican. I think I am still listed as a moderator.

i ride a R1100RT. A friend kept commenting on how he wanted a R1100S. I buy from BMW of Atlanta, and the owners son rides a R1100S. I kept "wondering" what do these guys know that is not apparent just looking at the bike.

Well my Son wanted a R1100s, and so I purchased a 1999 special edition Grey/Mandrian Yellow bike

What can I say, the bike works. I had the grips mounted above the triple clamp (they can be mounted below) and rode 400 - 500 mile days. It is far more comfortable than looks.

I do think it is more difficult to properly ride a R1100s when you go back and forth to the less sporting bikes, examples R1100RT or K1200LT and on those bikes you tend to ride more straight up.

But for single person riding on great roads, in my opinion, very few bikes work as well as the R1100s, with the city lid bags.

In fact Now that BMW has added the smaller bags to the R1200ST I am now looking at the new R1200s.

One other comment, if you want sporty bike with no ABS, lots of power and a very nice ride, look at a SV 1000s. Great bike at 1/2 the price. Otherwise the R1100s, in my opinion offers some of the best riding for back roads. I will not ride without ABS so the R1100s is my choice. But if I did ride without ABS and wanted a cheaper version of the R1100s then the SV1000s would be it.

I bought the Boxer Cup (R1100S with minor changes) because I wanted something sportier than my R1200RT. Things I didn't expect are:

- Very short range, the gas light comes on around 120-130 miles, it is hard to see the warning light and I really miss a gas gauge.

- Substantial vibration starting right at 4000-4500 rpm (80-85mph) which is where you are during touring, at least around here. The R1100S is noted for more vibration than any other R1100 or R1150. I assume that is from the completly different enging mounting, suspension mounting, and transmission. Bothers me, others just don't notice.

- Lack of wind protection.

- Incredible cost of insurance, equal to both the R1200RT

and new X-Moto combined.

I love the bike but it really is a toy, like the X-Moto. Just my experience.

Have you considered a R1200ST?

Is there any BMW ever that looks as good as a R1100S?

Dave Grinsel

I rode an R1100S for four years before purchasing my ST two years ago. I put on approximately 55,000 miles with no problems. The bars were mounted above the triple clamps and were very comfortable. 600 miles days were not a problem. My insurance company considered the bike a tourer so my annual insurance was around $225. I usually got 40-45 MPG. In my opinion the R1100S is great tourer one up.

I bought the Boxer Cup (R1100S with minor changes) because I wanted something sportier than my R1200RT. Things I didn't expect are:

- Very short range, the gas light comes on around 120-130 miles, it is hard to see the warning light and I really miss a gas gauge.

- Substantial vibration starting right at 4000-4500 rpm (80-85mph) which is where you are during touring, at least around here. The R1100S is noted for more vibration than any other R1100 or R1150. I assume that is from the completly different enging mounting, suspension mounting, and transmission. Bothers me, others just don't notice.

- Lack of wind protection.

- Incredible cost of insurance, equal to both the R1200RT

and new X-Moto combined.

I love the bike but it really is a toy, like the X-Moto. Just my experience.

Have you considered a R1200ST?

Is there any BMW ever that looks as good as a R1100S?

I concur completely with the 03 Boxer Cup that I had. It also would begin to cramp my legs up pretty good after about 80 miles (34" inseam).

Goes like hell, a good pipe and power commander and it'll fly, but just not very far in one stretch...

Archived