IGNORED

Is the R1200R a Sports Tourer?

bmwk100

The only BMW ST that appeals to my riding style is the R1200ST but those are hard to find right now. I visited my local dealer the other day and saw a R1200R in Granite Grey. That is a good looking bike! I never see any conversation about that bike on this site. Is that because it's not considered a sports tourer or is it not selling? I figure with a big windshield and the BMW luggage it would be a decent sports tourer. Anyone have experience with the bike?

Paul Mihalka

The R1200R is a wonderful naked bike and you can make almost anything out of it that you want. Small or large windshield, bags or not, full bags, trunk, tank bag for touring, or leave it naked with a small windshield for sport. It does sell very well.

Note: I always say that any BMW bike is a Sport-Tourer. Compare the R1200S or K1200S to a Japanese supersport, and it's a touring bike. Compare a K1200LT to a Goldwing or HD Ultra, and it's a sport bike... wink.gif

My wife used to have a R-1150-R, we put the system cases on it, a seat bag and a rear rack bag (both were Wunderlich products) and the medium sized windscreen BMW had for it. She loved that bike and would still be riding it, if it wasn't for the crash that totaled it frown.gif. She rode that bike all over the place with me, 6 states, I think. She likes the new one too . . .

To answer your main question, yes the R-1200-R is a sports tourer.

russell_bynum

A Sport Tourer is a bike that you sport tour on.

I Sport Tour on an Aprilia Tuono.

I met a guy in the middle of Utah who was sport touring on a CBR600F4i.

It all depends on what you're looking for in a bike.

I agree with the assertion that any bike can be turned into a sports tourer. I would be interested to hear from any R1200R owners on their experience with the bike. It just seems there are none to be found on this forum.

I rode a R1100R before my K1200RS. It was set up more for touring. I sold it to a gentleman who plans to tour on it.

It is a wonderful bike.

The major difference between that bike and an RT is weather protection/Fairing and other amenities. The R bike is easier to work on, and certainly should be considered for touring.

Are you aware there is another forum for the R bikes? look here:http://www.r1150r.org/

You know, they call it a Roadster... there must be a good reason for that.

Enjoy.

Jim VonBaden
I saw an R1200R with the new Hannigan fairing at Nationals. Beautiful and functional.

Seriously? dopeslap.gif

Hannigan-r12r.jpg

Hideous is all I can say!

Much more appropriate to an old airhead.

Jim cool.gif

I saw an R1200R with the new Hannigan fairing at Nationals. Beautiful and functional.

Seriously? dopeslap.gif

Hannigan-r12r.jpg

Hideous is all I can say!

Much more appropriate to an old airhead.

Jim cool.gif

Why not just get an RT, or an LT if your gonna put some windy-wind-jammer-big-ass-fiber-glass-thing on the front of it? It ceases to be a "Roadster" at the mere thought of adding such a monstrous & hideous fairing. Not appropriate anywhere as far as I'm concerned; damn, that thing is about as ugly as the Victory (blurred)-Vision!!

The R1200R will make a perfect tourer IMO.

I rode my R1150R cross country (Boston to San Francisco) without any problem.

System cases + top case + a tank bag is more than enough storage for long distance touring. The touring windscreen does a very good job, but if I were to do it again I would also attach one of those Laminar Lips to the touring windscreen. I rode it with an AirHawk seat pad on top of the stock seat. I think a BeadRider + Alaska Buttpad on top of the stock would have been a better choice.

roadster_1.jpg

roadster_2.jpg

894702-roadster_2.jpg.5b3ec7ab0e155ae1b2061b15c280ab8a.jpg

Archived