IGNORED

Route advice MN to Cody thru SD

Richard Rogers

Richard Rogers

What is the better route across South Dakota - HWY 212 or Interstate 90? I'm coming from Glencoe MN leaving on the 11th arriving on the 12th - not much time for sightseeing but I'd rather not deal with alot of traffic. How's the truck traffic on I90?

PhillyFlash

I-90 will be your fastest route. When you're away from cities, there is not much traffic, even with all the trucks. I would suggest I-90, then get off of it at Rapid City and wind your way through the Black Hills, back on I-90, get off to see Devil's Tower in eastern Wyoming, back on I-90 to Ranchester (just north of Sheridan), Take US 14 to Burgess Jct., then take US 14-A across the Bighorn Mts., and straight into Cody. Faster route, less traffic, most scenic.

You will, however, want to take US 212 from Red Lodge across Beartooth Pass to the Northeast entrance to Yellowstone. thumbsup.gif

If'n ya wanna make time 212 is not the choice! Too much small town USA there.

Like Philly says...I-90 blast through SD.

BTW, I did a Mapquest route from Mpls./St. Paul to Cody. Believe it or not, they show I-94 through N. Dak. and Montana is actually a closer route!!! By 50 miles or so.

BUT, we have some friends from Sioux City we are meeting in Sioux Falls for the run out to Cody. Hence the I-90 route.

We are staying around Keystone Sat. night, and I wanna see the Mt. Rushmore lighting ceremony that night to feel like a real American! thumbsup.gif

Be safe out there!

Hi Richard, First off for you and everyone eles in Sturgis, SD is the only BMW shop in this area! dopeslap.gif it is right off I-90. In Wyoming I-90 is good, not many truck at all. if you have time go see Devils tower. Try this loop: You can get gas in Beulah, Wy Ext 205 just in side Wy state line ( for less than you pay in SD ). I-90 to Ext 199 take 111 North to Aladdin,Wy go West on Hw24 to Hulett down to the tower. There is a KOA, food and gas at the tower also. after the tower stop go south to Hw14 go west to Moorcroft,Wy to I-90. If no time you can still see the tower at mile post 163 on I-90 just look north up the valley. Richard take I-90 to Gillette( the big city ) Lots of motels, restrants and the cheapest gas at $1.73 a gallon for the low grade stuff!. I get all my gas at the Exxon Common Cents at Ext 126 they have 91 octane gas and they pump from individual gas hoses. thumbsup.gif From here at Gillette, go North out of town on HW 14. Up at Ucross 16 goes south down to Buffalo so stay on 14 to Sheridan. dopeslap.gif Sheridan I-90 up to Ranchester to 14 west up top of the Big Horns to Burgess Jut. You can take 14 or 14A to Cody! This maybe a good time to take 14A to Lovell into Cody. Lot's of ways to go! I hope that this helps you and someone eles. grin.gif Have a good trip!

Archived