IGNORED

You did not see me.....

Knifemaker

Hope it helps.

As for me, I try to insure that I'm seen & try not to take for granted that I am.

As for me, I try to insure that I'm seen & try not to take for granted that I am.

Bingo. I've seen the full text version of that prose probably a half dozen times or more in the past few years, and I always bristle at the lack of responsibility it places on the rider to avoid a wreck the full text version implies. The runnin the yellow is classic - if I SAW you running the yellow, I WOULDN'T have pulled out in front of you making that right turn on red.

It's a good message (look out for motorcyclists) but it might be sending the wrong message to riders themselves (ie - we're a bit helpless in avoiding wrecks caused by cagers). That bothers me a little bit. MHO only.

Agent_Orange

That should be shown nationwide as a public service announcement. And it should be backed, and funded by EVERY motorcycle organization. No excuses! thumbsup.gif

Pity, but it probably won't. bncry.gif

How exactly does one run a yellow light? You can run a stop sign or a red light, but a yellow? I gree with the overall message, but riders need to be responsible for their own safety. I try to avoid most (knowing full well that I can't avoid all) circumstances that can place me in jeopardy.

GoGo Gadget
How exactly does one run a yellow light? You can run a stop sign or a red light, but a yellow?

You are supposed to stop on a yellow light if you can safely do so.

Now then, is that how the majority of drivers/riders view yellow lights? Or does yellow mean hurry through the light and hope you make it.

How exactly does one run a yellow light? You can run a stop sign or a red light, but a yellow?

Now then, is that how the majority of drivers/riders view yellow lights? Or does yellow mean hurry through the light and hope you make it.

Right, but you can't run a yellow light as a violation of any vehicle code. The staement made in the video is misleading; and it also eliminates the rider from being smart enough to look for that hazard.

it might be sending the wrong message to riders

I think the message it sends to riders is that drivers don't see us. One response to that might be to take a more active role in one's well being.

Agent_Orange

"but you can't run a yellow light as a violation of any vehicle code". I think that some LEO's, just might, have a differing view!

russell_bynum

Right, but you can't run a yellow light as a violation of any vehicle code. The staement made in the video is misleading; and it also eliminates the rider from being smart enough to look for that hazard.

If cross traffic has a yellow, then the color of my light can only be RED.

People can run yellow lights until the cows come home and it doesn't make a lick of difference.

And isn't there usually a second or so between the cross traffic's light going red, and my light going green?

So unless they run the yellow and it turns red just after they enter the intersection, AND it's a very big intersection that takes a while to cross, AND they're going really slowly so it takes a long time to get across it, AND I launch off the line the instant the light turns green like a top fuel drag racer without looking to make sure it is clear, then "running a yellow light" is completely and totally harmless.

I always thought one stops at a yellow if approaching an intersection, but that it is okay to proceed if the signal turns yellow after you've entered an intersection. If it's blinking, one stops and proceeds when it's safe to do so.

I think many drivers interpret yellow as "speed through before it turns red," and red as "screw the law--no one's coming." crazy.gif

wrestleantares

I EXPECT people to run red lights.

However, I KNOW they are going to go through on yellow.

When my light turns green then I wait long enough to look both ways and go out carefully if some large vehicle is blocking a far lane from view.

I am EXTREMELY cautious when turning right on red (legal here unless signage indicates otherwise). I have to REALLY be able to see all traffic clearly. Those on the right and left and those ahead that may be turning left - whether they have a special turn signal or not.

Intersections are the MOST dangerous place on the road for any vehicle.

NEVER go by the light, go by what you can SEE.

I EXPECT people to run red lights.

However, I KNOW they are going to go through on yellow.

When my light turns green then I wait long enough to look both ways and go out carefully if some large vehicle is blocking a far lane from view.

I am EXTREMELY cautious when turning right on red (legal here unless signage indicates otherwise). I have to REALLY be able to see all traffic clearly. Those on the right and left and those ahead that may be turning left - whether they have a special turn signal or not.

Intersections are the MOST dangerous place on the road for any vehicle.

NEVER go by the light, go by what you can SEE.

Last monday I saw something pretty funny (or so i thought).

I was going to make a left onto a road (RT 23 south). I have a delayed green.

On the north side of Rt23, there is a black dodge charger with tinted windows in the left lane, and a white BMW 328 in the middle lane. I see both of them inching up to the light. My light turns green, and the BMW jumps the gun trying to beat out the charger. There were 2 problems...

He had the red light, and the charger was an unmarked police car. I knew it was an unmarked as I have seen that charger in action. The BMW stopped in my lane, and quickly backed up. He didn't realize he jumped the light with a cop next to him until his light turned green.

Its the simple things in life.... grin.gif

"but you can't run a yellow light as a violation of any vehicle code". I think that some LEO's, just might, have a differing view!

I was a LEO for almost 9 years, never once wrote a ticket for running a yellow, because it's not a violation.

but you can't run a yellow light as a violation of any vehicle code.
I think that some LEO's, just might, have a differing view!

this may depend on the state, it's not a violation in California.

I doubt it.

See the white line that is perpendicular to your direction of travel as you near the intersection?

Good.

Now if you are past that line before the light has turned red, legally you're OK.

If you cross that line after the light is red, including rolling a wheel past it when you have stopped for the red light, then you're not OK.

Exception would be, after coming to a complete stop, proceeding right on red, where allowed, or turning right on red with a green arrow allowing you to do so.

A yellow light is a warning that the light will turn red.

Depending on the road, speed limit, conditions, it may indicate the need to either continue, or slow/stop.

It would be so much easier if the plasma cannons were phase linked to target red light runners (ala photo ticket).

Eventually that behavior would cease. smirk.gif

NoLongeraK1200RSRider

If indeed the above is true.. then the state of California owes me some money.. mainly $220.00 for going thru on a yellow just outside Napa. lmao.gif I was behind a couple of slow cars and a truck.. pulled over into the open left hand lane and proceeded into the intersection as the light turned yellow.. the cars in front slowed for the left hand turn causing me to be in the intersection when the light turned red.. LEO said the light was red when I entered the turn. confused.gif Not a true statement on his part.. but it had an effect.. now I never go thru any yellow light! grin.giflurker.gif

I can't believe that this thread is getting all caught up in the details of yellow light laws and missing, or at least glossing over, the whole point of the video - To increase awareness in others to look for motorcycles. I thought it was excellent, nit-picks aside, and agree it should be shown as a public service announcement far and wide. I'd even overlook the loud pipes testimonial if it would help raise awareness to look for bikes.

Good stuff eh'...practically made in my backyard. Jonesboro, AR to be exact. It was put together by AR-Abate, Jonesboro Bike Night and two local motorcycle clubs. Not a person or face I don't know on that video. It was actually made over a year ago. Some of the mayors of the area towns ride. thumbsup.gif

Archived