IGNORED

New owner with questions

BarOne

Just drove my new (to me) 1200RT 900 miles home. What a ride and what a bike. OK -- here are some questions:

1. Is there another way to check the oil on this bike other than trying to see the level through that small window. With the pipes and shield and all - I just can't get a good look at it.

2. What about those mirrors. What have you folks invented or found to make them functional? I can't see much at all!

3. Does the cruise control disengage when you hit a bump? Mine seemd to.

4. What have you done to use the space where the cd player would go -- the compartment to the right of the driver? I reached my hand in there and thought I had to have it amputated to get it out. Any afermarket gizmo's

Thanks -- sure I'll have more. Love the bike.

Welcome on board....Just ride the bike and get aquainted with it. Your answers will come soon enough....

(about 100 posts from this one) grin.gif

Thanks for the Zen-like advice. You were correct about the site glass. I looked again this morning and BAM, it was there - I could see it!

I love this bike -- now I know what all the fuss was about.

Grasshopper

Welcome aboard. I see that you already cleared the oil sight glass question.

The radio/cd compartment is larger than it appears. After scraping my fingers for the second time in the first week of ownership to retrieve my "MOA Anonymous book" I realized that it was time to do something about it. I figured out that the small square opening is actually a hole cut in a plastic plate that is fastened with two sided tape over the opening in the compartment. If you get in there with a gloved hand you can pull it free and work it out of there. It'll really open up the space. Today I store all kinds of items in there. An alternative option is the insert BMW sells for the compartment. Though that is a lot more cash and a lot less functional.

my .02 worth.

Just drove my new (to me) 1200RT 900 miles home. What a ride and what a bike. OK -- here are some questions:

1. Is there another way to check the oil on this bike other than trying to see the level through that small window. With the pipes and shield and all - I just can't get a good look at it.

2. What about those mirrors. What have you folks invented or found to make them functional? I can't see much at all!

Seems to be a matter of personal taste here, some folks like them others don't (I've suspected rider size has a lot to do with it here). Lots of folks add GS or K mirrors into the available holes in the brake/clutch housings. Check here in the archives or your local dealer.

I've had my cruise pop off a couple of times in the 12k miles I've had it but hasn't been enough to even think about. It could be a brake pedal or lever adjustment that's just winking the brakes on when you hit a bump. Others here might have some ideas.

4. What have you done to use the space where the cd player would go -- the compartment to the right of the driver? I reached my hand in there and thought I had to have it amputated to get it out. Any afermarket gizmo's

I use zip lock baggies (sandwich size) as my aftermarket addon here. I put the stuff I hope not to need (e.g. band aids, bee sting stuff, etc.) in the bottom and work my way to the top to the things I'll likely need (e.g. sunglasses, wallet, etc). Really handy space here so find something that works for you. The BMW aftermarket "bag" doesn't seem that practical to me but others may find it great.

Enjoy the RT, it's loads of fun.

Your cruise control shouldn't disengage when you hit a bump unless you hit a big enough one that the wheel comes off the ground. I think if the wheel started spinning free it would disengage.

In terms of checking the oil does yours have the computer with the oil level check built into it? I think most RTs are sold with this option. If you have it the bike will tell you when you should add oil. It will show a (!) on the dash when you need to add oil. It should also show a check mark at idle (provided the bike is at operating temperature)if the oil level is sufficient. Having said that the first generation of the oil level sensor wasn't very good and would often give you false low level readings (although BMW have been replacing the old sensors with new ones if the bike is under warranty). Also if your like me you won't totally trust the electronic gizmo and will like to check for yourself once in a while.

I have not found the mirrors a problem for me. I think whether the mirrors work for you or not depends in part on your height, how you sit etc. I did find that it took some fiddling around to get them adjusted rignt.You can add mirrors using the holes built into the clutch and brake reservoirs. I believe that GS mirrors will fit. Some have done this and say its a big improvement.

I'm guessing you hit the bump and your wrists moved up/forward, thus disengaging the cruise. Depending on wrist position it can happen.

I'm guessing you hit the bump and your wrists moved up/forward, thus disengaging the cruise. Depending on wrist position it can happen.

...or the bump is causing your toe to accidently tap the rear brake. All it takes is a slight touch on that brake and the cruise goes off. I did this several times before I even realized it.

Jay

[quote

...or the bump is causing your toe to accidently tap the rear brake. All it takes is a slight touch on that brake and the cruise goes off. I did this several times before I even realized it.

Man you are right about the brake. If you just think about tapping the rear brake, the cruise instantly disengages. It is incredibly sensitive. This is not a problem once you understand it, but the first time or two it happens it can really startle you.

I figured out that the small square opening is actually a hole cut in a plastic plate that is fastened with two sided tape over the opening in the compartment. If you get in there with a gloved hand you can pull it free and work it out of there. It'll really open up the space.

I cannot visualize what you are recommending, but I'm headed for the garage to see if I can figure it out. That skinny little compartment drives me nuts.

To supplement it, by the way, I got one of those nifty Touratech pouches that mounts with velcro straps at the base of the handlebars. It works very well to carry the sort of stuff you need to get to quickly.

I'll ask the obvious. Safe to assume your bike does not have the dash computer? If it does, you have a built in oil level sensor that you can check whenever the bike is running and you come to a stop.

Some love 'em, some hate 'em. I love mine. Those who don't, add on add'l mirrors - you'll find alot of info if you search, they look like this:

64250834.jpg

Linky to post with details

This should not happen. My gut says like others said, your foot tapped the read brake or you twisted the throttle backwards which both disengage the CC....

Not cheap, then again neither was the bike. wink.gif

Radio Bay Storage Bag

Lastly - congrats & good luck!

I bought the same Touratech pouch and I really like it. So far I keep thin day gloves and sunglasses in it right now.

It does both - measures temperature and level. The temperature is the bar graph on the right of your display. The oil level is found "under" the ambient temperature read out. If you hit the BC button it will cycle through ambient temperature, average speed, miles per gallon and distance to empty and oil level. If you cycle through this stuff before your bike is warm the oil level will read "---". Once warmed up it will check the level but only if you are upright and at idle. If you have updated software the oil level read out will disappear in motion to be replaced by the ambient temperature. Hope this helps.

Glad to know this. I thought the computer guage measured oil temperatue not quantity. Appreciate the info.

Archived