IGNORED

"Four Wheeled" Motorcycle

Ben_Ricci

Encountered this today on the way home from work. I had to use my cellphone to snap a picture, so I couldn't get too close to the bike. It had a set of rear wheels that functioned roughly like training wheels (axle mounted behind the rear wheel). It wasn't a trailer. confused.gif The bike was a Voyager XII.

172358199-S.jpg

I've seen a fair number of this type of thing around of late - albeit better integrated to look more like a trike.

There's a disabled vet I used to see repeatedly at a pie shop up by Mt. St. Helens ( I , of course was eating salad...) and he has one -

Basically you back the bike into a set of wheels, connect a few pins, instant trike w/ the old rear wheel driving the rig.

Apparently much cheaper than a full on trike conversion with the benefit of easily being able to go back and forth, or sell the bike by itself or whatever.

Pretty cool. Now I look under the backs of "trikes" to see if they're "real" or 4-wheelers. I have a buddy who walks with crutches and drives a Mustang GT w/ hand controls (and in his spare time crushes walnuts in his bare mitts) and I keep telling him he needs to get a trike for himself.

Baba_ORiley

I realize the training wheels are detachable, but when it's in a 4-wheeled configuration -- and because it's 4 -- rather than 2 or 3 wheels, shouldn't it be classified as an automobile?

By that I mean for licensing purposes, toll road purposes, insurance purposes, etc.

Interesting. First time I've seen one of these. I have to assume the rider had an impairment of some type and he wasn't going to let it stop him from enjoying motorcycling. Neat.

I too wondered how this would be treated by the Dept. of Transportation, or on the PA turnpike where the toll is based on the number of axles? The bike had a Connecticut plate, but I'm pretty sure the 'ol Commonwealth of PA would want the wheels taxed, registered and inspected. grin.gif

http://www.mtcvoyager.com/

A nice product for those that want to continue to enjoy the sport they love. Seems a bit pricey to me to me but certainly cheaper than a professional conversion.

It looked just like that minus the hitch ball. Indeed pricey and I wouldn't have guessed it would cost so much, but if one has the means, it's a small price to pay for continuing to ride. wave.gif

I'm trying to find the ones I've been seeing and can't seem to turn them up -

They have fiberglass fenders that fair into the back of the bike - they look like a full on conversion, not "training wheels" but I can't find the website.

I'm trying to find the ones I've been seeing and can't seem to turn them up -

They have fiberglass fenders that fair into the back of the bike - they look like a full on conversion, not "training wheels" but I can't find the website.

IS THIS IT???

So how do you corner without leaning it? I guess it's like riding a sidehack but I would be worried on the twisties.

NoLongeraK1200RSRider

There are 2 of them here in Vallejo Ca. that I have seen. 1 of them is a V-Rod the other I can't seem to remember right now. Neither rider is "physically impaired"..(1 guy, 1 female) they just like the "comfort" of them. <shrug> Looks like a pretty neat thing for the physically challenged.

Archived