IGNORED

tire wear and Avon Storms .vs. conti Road Attack.

chrisx

my front tire has excessive wear on the left side. i find this a bit odd but because i mostly commute and those are almost all left turns it might make sense. i always have wondered if there is such a thing as an "Alignment" for the bike. in re tires, ready for new ones, looking at the two mentioned. Any sentiments pro/con? mostly commuting and wet roads in winter. last q. Any preferred tire vendor on the west coast? preferably in seattle. thanx

I just received a brand new Avon Storm AV55 today and will have it mounted tomorrow. I bought it to match the rear that is on the bike. Right now I have an Avon AV45 on the front and it has hit the wear bars with less than 4K miles on it which totally sucks ( pressure 38F/40-42 rear). I noticed the left side of the tire is worn more than the right side. After this Avon test I will put on a set of ME880's. I will post a report about the Avons wear, grip, handling, etc.

Maybe I should have been a little more specific. The front tire was given to me w/1000 miles on it. I mounted it and rode to Torrey and back (1600 miles) and a couple of other rides that would amount to 500 miles or so. Therefore this tire has less than 3500 miles on it. The rear tire has 2K miles on it. That front tire is just bumming me out. We will see what the new Storm front tire does and how long the rear lasts.

Juan_in_a_million
my front tire has excessive wear on the left side. i find this a bit odd but because i mostly commute and those are almost all left turns it might make sense. i always have wondered if there is such a thing as an "Alignment" for the bike. in re tires, ready for new ones, looking at the two mentioned. Any sentiments pro/con? mostly commuting and wet roads in winter. last q. Any preferred tire vendor on the west coast? preferably in seattle. thanx

I don't know what kind of bike you have but the R bikes have that characteristic. They all pull to the right and they all wear the left side of the front tire faster than the right. Also, contrary to the other non BMW bikes I have had, they wear the front tire as fast, if not faster than the rear.

At first, I was kind of upset and went nuts measuring the alignment of the wheels using 2x4s and chalked line. I also asked the dealer to check it our and they did not find anything wrong with the bike. Then, in forums like this one, I learned that all of them do that.

By now, I'm more relaxed about it, after all when a section of your front tire is gone, whether is the left, center or right, it is time to change the rubber so..enjoy your bike.

thumbsup.gif

Cheers

Archived