IGNORED

Fuel Pump "Controller" on R12GS Bad

David

I don't have all the details, yet, but I figured I'd post this for posterity.

The other day we couldn't get my GS to start. It would fire, run for 1-2 seconds, and then flame out. I assumed it was a fuel issue (pump, filter, line, whatever), but couldn't diagnose it. I finally gave up and sent it to the dealer.

They hooked it up to their super duper computer and they say there's a hardware (with some embedded software) controller between the main controller and the fuel pump, and that's bad. They swapped it with another and it rain normally.

Part's on its way.

Is it part of the CAN-BUS, or exclusively related to the fuel system?

From what I understand, it's the latter. I need to look into it more.

On the fuel tank itself there is a module that BMW calls a solenoid, which is a known problem on the 1200GS. I was advised by the local dealer to replace mine, even though it had not failed. It's not exactly inexpensive, but I would rather replace it than be stranded somewhere with a non-functioning bike. About the equivalent of USD150 at our inflated NZ prices.

Anyone with a 1200GS that is more than about 30 months old can save themselves a potential failure by replacing the module. It is a simple job to do yourself, but make sure you change both the module and the corresponding O-ring.

That could be it. I've abandoned it to the dealer, and so my information is not first hand.

I just found out that it's one month out of warranty, too. Darn it all.

russell_bynum

I just found out that it's one month out of warranty, too. Darn it all.

I emailed you this, but I want to post it here so others might benefit as well:

When you are this close to your warranty expiration, it is still possible to get warranty coverage. Though BMW has no legal obligation to help you, my experience with several companies has been that they are often willing to give a customer warranty service as a gesture of good faith.

From their perspective, it doesn't cost them that much, and the end result is a customer who knows they went above and beyond to make sure he was happy. In other words: A likely repeat customer.

The key is that the dealership is going to have to go to bat for you, so this is where it helps to have a good relationship with your dealership.

You should speak with the service manager and see if they will ask BMW to cover you anyway. The worst thing that they'll say is No, in which case you are no worse off than you are right now.

ShovelStrokeEd

David,

I'm in full agreement with Russell's advise.

BMWNA autherized a replacement final drive for me on my 1150 Adventure with 51K miles on it. Yeah, it was only a year old but I only had a 36/36 warranty on it.

I never even asked and it was not, by any stretch of the imagination, my home dealer. Twin Cities BMW up in Indiana. Might have had something to do with it being my 5th BMW in as many years. But, it sure won't hurt to ask.

Don_Eilenberger
On the fuel tank itself there is a module that BMW calls a solenoid, which is a known problem on the 1200GS. I was advised by the local dealer to replace mine, even though it had not failed. It's not exactly inexpensive, but I would rather replace it than be stranded somewhere with a non-functioning bike. About the equivalent of USD150 at our inflated NZ prices.

Anyone with a 1200GS that is more than about 30 months old can save themselves a potential failure by replacing the module. It is a simple job to do yourself, but make sure you change both the module and the corresponding O-ring.

Would you happen to have a PN? Interested if any other models share this part..
16147694378. I didn't check all the hexhead models, but for the couple I did check it is the same.

I was advised by the local dealer to replace mine, even though it had not failed.
I'm not sure I'd advise shotgunning them all in all bikes though. Most of them failed because there was a recall on a o-ring that was letting water into them. If that hasn't been done then it's obviously more likely to fail. Really I've read of only a smattering of actual failures.

BTW it is NOT a CAN-BUS module. Simple a solid-state current limiting relay that sits on top of the fuel pump. You can actually bypass it and wire 12v directly to the pump to get you going in a stranded situation.

Don_Eilenberger
16147694378. I didn't check all the hexhead models, but for the couple I did check it is the same.

Ken - thanks. In looking at: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/partxref.do?part=16147694378&showus=on - it appears the Roadster doesn't use it. Have to look up what it does use..

It shows: 16147694699 - which isn't shared by any other use.. only the Roadster. Wonder what was designed differently about it...

All NZ-new bikes should have had the recall done. Mine did. One local rider who experienced the fault was riding an ex-rental bike. I assume all rental companies keep their bikes maintained and take notice of recalls affecting their bikes.

Anyway, mine didn't fail, even after about 40 months and 50,000km, but the service guy didn't rate highly my chances of avoiding failure in the near future. And I doubt he is paid a commission on spare parts sales.

Well, to wrap this up, it was that known weak point that failed on mine, at 37 months--yep, 1 month past warranty. But they were very gracious and ate the $200 bill as a good will gesture.

Runs like new again.

Archived