IGNORED

GARMIN XM WEATHER PUCK MOUNTS, LET'S SEE 'EM!

markgoodrich

markgoodrich

Decided last night to activate the XM weather for my Garmin 376, and thought I had a simple mounting solution, using 3M Dual Lock directly on top of the 376...but the wubbah padding on the puck didn't stick to the 3M stuff. So I took the metal plate out of the mast mount that comes with the thing, and attached just the plate to the Dual Lock, and tossed the puck on top of it. Will give it a go in the morning, see if it stays in place, but in the meantime, I'd like to see others' solutions to this issues.

I use a Migsel shelf, so my personal goal is to get the puck to work as described...one nice thing about it is that when I remove the Garmin, the puck just comes with it, no disconnecting yet another wire.

Clickable:

th_IMG_0977.jpg

th_IMG_0978.jpg

GoGo Gadget

Here is mine. I bought it from CycleGadgets with the mount. Basically a piece of sheetmetal that is sandwiched between the RAM mount and the GPS mount. I turned it around so it would be above the the GPS and not contact the windscreen. I noticed I was having a harder time acquiring satellites and would sometimes lose the satellite lock. I switched it back and it did much better. I just moved the arm down so it would not hit the screen.

StLouisArch.jpg

markgoodrich

My jury-rigged, dual locked setup worked great for 650 miles today, including about 200 miles of rain. the puck never budged. thumbsup.gif Cost was exactly about $1.25, for the dual lock, half of a package from Target.

Guess I have to plug my little effort...made with high density steel to gain the best possible magnetic effect.

Click to enlarge:

r12rtworkingpics006mg9.th.jpg

r12rtworkingpics008hs3.th.jpg

r12rtworkingpics002bi0.th.jpg

Jim W.

markgoodrich

Great bunch of innovative ideas. After another five or six hundred miles I can't recommend my solution, at least not with the Migsel/longish RAM arm mounting setup for the Garmin. Rough roads in Colorado knocked the puck off the mount three or four times. I think if the Garmin was mounted directly to the center RAM ball on the Migsel, it would be fine.

I do have one question for jakfrost: why the high density steel? Garmin deems the steel used in their boat mount to be adequate, and I certainly have not noticed any weak signal (I'm just using the weather function); is the Garmin steel high density?

I had mine mounted under the dash atop the instument cluster,with liquid nails....It works great and is out of sight.

Steve

"I do have one question for jakfrost: why the high density steel? Garmin deems the steel used in their boat mount to be adequate, and I certainly have not noticed any weak signal (I'm just using the weather function); is the Garmin steel high density?"

I have no idea about the Garmin boat mount steel...never seen it and don't own a boat. But since the 'puck' is a magnetic mount I figured the better the attraction the more secure the mount...

Not sure what 'signal' you are refering to? The type of steel in the mount shouldn't affect the incoming XM signal. The location would be a much larger variable I'm sure.

Stephen's idea of under the dash is something I might investigate...I like the 'out of sight' thinking. Now thats 'security'. Just wondering if 'under the dash' might degrade our sometimes already thin signal here in the far north.

Jim

markgoodrich
"I do have one question for jakfrost: why the high density steel? Garmin deems the steel used in their boat mount to be adequate, and I certainly have not noticed any weak signal (I'm just using the weather function); is the Garmin steel high density?"

Jack, I assumed the XM weather puck is like the magnetic XM radio antenna...needs a magnetic surface to get a good signal. My Roady antenna doesn't do squat unless I attach it to a steel screw somewhere...dunno why. The Garmin plate and boat mount came with mine. Never mind, carry on.

I have no idea about the Garmin boat mount steel...never seen it and don't own a boat. But since the 'puck' is a magnetic mount I figured the better the attraction the more secure the mount...

Not sure what 'signal' you are refering to? The type of steel in the mount shouldn't affect the incoming XM signal. The location would be a much larger variable I'm sure.

Stephen's idea of under the dash is something I might investigate...I like the 'out of sight' thinking. Now thats 'security'. Just wondering if 'under the dash' might degrade our sometimes already thin signal here in the far north.

Jim

grin.gif

Archived