IGNORED

R1100RT alarm/immobiliser

shinyharley

shinyharley

Just got my first BMW & am completely confused by the alarm/immobiliser (guy in the shop was too)- seems to turn itself on within about 30 seconds of doing nothing & don't have a reliable method for turning it off (no instructions)! Great bike (2000 UK model - I'm in England). Anyone explain the two button remote to me? thanks cool.gif

Sounds like an after market device to me. Lotsa luck!

The alarm on our Toyota 4 runner was entirely too sensitive but at least we could go to the dealer for an adjustment.

dopeslap.gif

shinyharley

Seems to be factory fitted BMW item - I think the immobiliser arms automatically & the alarm manually but like I said both me & the salesman were in the dark really!

confused.gif

John Dickens

I didn't know an alarm was available as a factory option. If it is OEM you need to get to your nearest BMW dealer. They should be able to sort it.

No guarantee that this will work for your bike but here is how mine works: (I have an "Armed Guard 200P" system).

The bike will arm itself fully, including proximity sensor, motion sensor, tilt alarm and ignition disabler when I remove the key and walk away. It will indicate that it is in the process of arming by chirping about five times, giving you time to get out of the detection zone. If I don't want it to arm, I need to turn the key on/off quickly just once to disable everything.

To arm the bike using the key fob: Press button number one once and the bike should chirp once to indicate the alarm is armed fully, including any proximity alarm, motion sensor, tilt sensor and ignition interrupt that is installed.

Press any button and the alarm should chirp twice to indicate the bike is disarmed.

Press button two if you want to arm only the tilt/motion sensor and not the proximity alarm.

On my bike the sensitivity of the proximity sensor is set pretty low, which means the bike will give a few one second chirps to warn you out of the protected zone (about 3 feet in my case). If you stay inside the detection zone the siren will start screaming in about 10 seconds. When set to full sensitivity you can't get within 25 feet of the bike without it going off.

There is a fuse which can be pulled to disable everything. Mine is not easy to find (on purpose). Suggest you locate your's and experiment. If you lose control of the alarm you can pull the fuse and shut the system down. Also, putting the key into the ignition and turning it on should also disable the alarm.

Robt_J_Webster

Please see the attached photo. If your remote looks like this one, I might be able to help you. I have a 2000 R1100RT with the BMW alarm system, and if this matches yours, there is a way to change it so that it doesn't automatically arm. Send me a PM if this is the same as your remote, and I can arrange to get a copy of the system manual to you.

891962-remote.zip

shinyharley

can't unzip your photos sorry - It's a black two button remote with a small bmw logo & from the back looks like it may have been made in Italy.

I think the right hand button just turns alarm on/off.

Something arms on the bike after 30 seconds - not sure what & I have developed a method of starting it but it would be nice to understand quite what the hell is going on!

Thanks smile.gif

Robt_J_Webster

Sorry about the photo...it sounds as though you have the same system that I do. It also sounds as though someone has set it up for mode "C", which is auto arm of the immobilizer 15 seconds after removal of the key, auto arm of the alarm 30 seconds after removal of the key, and auto arm of the motion sensor 50 seconds after removal of the key. You will get a single beep with one flash of the signals with the immobilizer, and two beeps and a double flash of the signals after the alarm is set. The left hand button on the remote dis-arms the system, whereas the right hand button is a panic button and will also disrupt the alarm once it has been set off.

According to the manual, there is a method to change to mode "B", which gets rid of the all the auto features and makes the system much more managable. The dealer set mine to this mode, and it has been no problem unless I forget.

If you wish, I can scan and send you the manual, but it wouldn't be until Monday when I would have access to a scanner. Due to the size, I would also need an email address to send it to.

Archived