IGNORED

Thinking of '05 RT, anything to look out for?

Mike A

I'm thinking of buying either an '05 RT with 15,000 miles or a new '07. Are there any potential problems, recalls, etc. I should be aware of with the '05? Any improvements in the '07?

Thanks!

BMW got rid of servo-assisted braking for the '07 models. A definite improvement in my opinion.

Another change with the '07 vs. '05 is the redesign of the retractable mounting tab/post on the sidecases. The case are much more secure on the '07 RT.

The headlight housing on my '05 lost ground and all the lights went out (as discussed here recently). It was replaced on warranty, and I haven't seen any evidence that this is a general fault. Other than this, I have had no problems whatsoever.

Some have complained about inaccurate temp gauges and balky oil level readouts on the '05. I have not been concerned about either of those. (The oil check thingy works OK and I could care less about the temp sensor.)

On all the stuff that counts--power, comfort, handling--the '05 has been fantastic.

I have an 05 and have no complaints. There is a recall to reroute a brake line I believe and they did dispense with the servo assisted brakes. I've had no problem with these brakes, but they have been a hot discussion item. Keep the software up to date and you should be OK...Enjoy! thumbsup.gif

I'm thinking of buying either an '05 RT with 15,000 miles or a new '07. Are there any potential problems,

Thanks!

Yes,

You're biggest problem will be an increased absence from home closely followed by an increased problem of fines for speeding. thumbsup.gif

Some people have had trouble with warped brake rotors (do a search - there is currently a thread on this subject). Some also have had leaky seals in the transmission (again the subject of some recent discussion here). I don't know if these issues are confined to the 05 but if the bike is used it might be worth checking this out.

As noted the oil level sensor may not be too good unless it has been updated (BMW did the update free under warranty) and the ambient temperture reading is inaccurate.

The 07 doesn't have the power brakes which I think is a good thing. I don't mind the power brakes on mine but it is a pretty complicated system that will cost more to repair if it fails.

The 07 doesn't have the power brakes which I think is a good thing. I don't mind the power brakes on mine but it is a pretty complicated system that will cost more to repair if it fails.

I can speak from personal experience; anybody with short legs will appreciate the non servo-assist brakes. They work just as well at bringing the bike to a stop and they don't become "grabby" when using the brakes during slow speed maneuvering.

Archived