IGNORED

Tire hum?

dzervit

While putzing around town this evening I noticed something different. When I would lean the bike, it would hum. At first I thought I was crazy, so I pushed the bars side to side and it indeed would 'hum' when tilted. I was around 35-40mph.

Anyone experience this? Is it normal behavior? I inspected the tires when I got home, I didn't see anything out of place. I have roughly 5500 miles on them.

ElevenFifty

brand new, just mounted tires will be silent ... a little bit of wear and they all hum ... or roar. Most wear is straight line ... it leaves little scallops on the tires that 'hum' when you are leaned. Proper inflation reduces the effect somewhat but in general, the higher the miles, the louder the tire.

brand new, just mounted tires will be silent ... a little bit of wear and they all hum ... or roar. Most wear is straight line ... it leaves little scallops on the tires that 'hum' when you are leaned. Proper inflation reduces the effect somewhat but in general, the higher the miles, the louder the tire.

Whew! That's what I wanted to hear. I am a new biker and this was a first for me. Thank you for the info! thumbsup.gif

ShovelStrokeEd

Next time you are due for tires, put some Pilot Roads on there, the humming stops at around 2K miles. Only cause that's when the shouting begins. grin.gif Really nice tires and I like the wear I get out of them as well as the stick but dang, those things are loud.

Next time you are due for tires, put some Pilot Roads on there, the humming stops at around 2K miles. Only cause that's when the shouting begins. grin.gif Really nice tires and I like the wear I get out of them as well as the stick but dang, those things are loud.

+1

+2...but MAN I love the way those tires push the water away.

duckbubbles

I've been running Michelins for quite a while. Starting with the M59 radials. The Pilot Roads are noisier than I remember any others. The compromise between grip and mileage of them is very good in my opinion.

My own opinion as to why is the evenly spaced sipes on both of them. Some car tires are made with varying spacing on the sipes to cut down on the noise they make. I know what's happening, so it doesn't bother me that much.

Put straight pipes on your RT and you'll never notice it again.

Frank

+3

I've 13,500km on the rear. Almost to the wear bars but have to pull it off as next week for a 3500km trip. Extremely happy with the stick and wear, Dry and wet - but the noise from the front...earplugs always. Scuffed Bib's hand and head a bunch both front and rear - both without bags or like today with loaded bags and top case (no passenger).

I'm tempted to put on a pair of the new BT-021 but still 50% left on the front Pilot road.

Michelin rear $340. BT021 rear$280. Canadian. Installation extra.

I hear ya Ed. After 6K on this set of Pilots they are so loud that they hurt my ears unless I have plugs in. The noise has actually got my wife to plead for new tires, so there is an upside to this thumbsup.gif.

My stock Dunlop 220's started to hum around 4,000 miles. I replaced them at 5,200 miles with a set of Conti Road Attacks. I have 500 miles on the Conti's and just love them so far. Not sure what wear I will get but the front tire is much much better, IMO then the original 220.

Wow, are the Pilots really that loud? I like the idea of the great performance in dry and wet conditions... and really the Detroit area and most of my driving is straight and flat... so I guess I'll be OK. I might give them a shot.

I have over 5000 on my Conti's now. They are much quieter than the PR were.

How do they compare on the wet stuff?

Put my first set of Pilot Roads on my RT last week, switching from Z6s. First thng I noticed was how noisy they were compared to the Metzelers. I'm sitting in my B&B room in Cedarburg, WI (attending the MOA rally, before heading to California). The only reason I switched was because I was tired of the lack of rain grooves in the middle of the rear Z6. I have to say that, except for that one aspect, I prefer the Metzelers over the Michelins. I'll reserve judgement until I see how they waer onmy cross-continent ride.

The front seems to be the major noise culprit, so use a different front. Those who say you cant mix brands also are just making noise

The front seems to be the major noise culprit, so use a different front. Those who say you cant mix brands also are just making noise

Or

Wait for the new improved Pilot Road Plus! Dealer tells me it is hard in the middle and sticky on the edges.

I guess similar to what I read about the new Bridgestone Battleax - the BT-021 replaces teh BT-020

Archived