IGNORED

R1200GS-rider size?

53morpheus

I am considering buying a R1200GS. Have not test driven it yet(about 1 and 1/2 hours away). I am concerned it may be too tall for me. I am 5'10" and weigh about 165lbs. Anybody of similar size riding a GS? Comments?

I am considering buying a R1200GS. Have not test driven it yet(about 1 and 1/2 hours away). I am concerned it may be too tall for me. I am 5'10" and weigh about 165lbs. Anybody of similar size riding a GS? Comments?

I'm 5'11" and weight 190 lbs, and have no problem with it. You'll be fine if your legs don't look like you stole them from a chicken. tongue.gif

I'm 5'6" with a 29"-30" inseam. With the low seat option, I could just get the balls of both feed down. I wouldn't think that at 5'10", you'd have a problem.

By the way, forget the GS' low seat option. It is a torture device.

166780696-M.jpg

I'm a bit of a bottom line I guess if you consider no changes done to the stock bike other than the low seat. Which BTW is most comfortable IMHO. I can ride all day, every day, no sore bum. I can't flatfoot but with about 3/4 hold I'm pretty secure even doing the infamous Stelvio pass (see pic). I'm 5.5/127. So no worries for you mate!

On thing to keep in mind too about the R1200GS as compared to some of the earlier bikes, there is no real reason to have to be able to flat foot it with both feet on the ground and the bike straight up. Unlike some of the other R bikes, the R1150RT comes to mind, it is a very easy bike to tilt a bit with one foot on the ground and not feel like it's about to go over.

I'm pretty much a weakling, and people are rather amazed when I show them at a stop how far I can tip it to one side and lean it back up. Not something I ever would have tried with the RT.

You will find it one of the easiest bikes to maneuver at slow speed. VERY balanced. No matter what, the view is great from up there! clap.gif

I'm 5' 9", with a 30 inch inseam. I have no problems with my GS and the stock seat in terms of managing the beast. I can't quite flatfoot it, but "dirtbiking" it with one foot down is quite easy and stable. Its relative light weight is one of the reasons I went with the GS over the RT.

Miriam is correct in saying that the stock seat is the best that BMW has to offer - it takes 150 miles before the pain sets in v. 100 miles on my RT.

baggerchris

If you like to flat foot like I do, and are short as I am, then consider the one or two inch lowered shock option that A & S BMW in Roseville Ca., has. I thought it wonderful, but then again, I don't do an awful lot of dirt where I would need the clearance, just fire roads and general dirt roads.

I'm 5' 9", with a 30 inch inseam. I have no problems with my GS and the stock seat in terms of managing the beast. I can't quite flatfoot it, but "dirtbiking" it with one foot down is quite easy and stable. Its relative light weight is one of the reasons I went with the GS over the RT.

Miriam is correct in saying that the stock seat is the best that BMW has to offer - it takes 150 miles before the pain sets in v. 100 miles on my RT.

Odd, I'm 5'9" with a 30 inseam and I easily flatfoot the 12GS. I agree about the seat/over 60k on the stock seat prior to getting a sargent which is a bit better.

Odd, I'm 5'9" with a 30 inseam and I easily flatfoot the 12GS. I agree about the seat/over 60k on the stock seat prior to getting a sargent which is a bit better.

5'9"? grew a little this last year huh lmao.gif

Are you wearing those Gene Simmons platform shoes? grin.gif

I come close. I'm on the balls of my feet, which is absolutely fine with me. Maybe rider weight and suspension settings are a factor here.

Hi,

Have a set of Wilbers short shocks available for sale,will lower the bike 1-1.5in.

PM me if interested.

JR356

I am concerned it may be too tall for me. I am 5'10" and weigh about 165lbs. Anybody of similar size riding a GS? Comments?
You should do just fine. I agree with Ken's comments about the weight distribution and how much easier it is to tip from side to side without it feeling like it's going to go over if you tip it one more inch.

I am considering buying a R1200GS. Have not test driven it yet(about 1 and 1/2 hours away).
Don't sit on one or take a test ride unless you have your check book or loan approval at the ready. After riding an RT for three years, I lusted after a GS for over a year and had sat on them in dealerships and at shows but never had a test ride. Within five minutes of stepping inside of the dealership, I was test riding one. I was giddy as I threw my leg over the saddle and bought it as I was twisting the throttle in first gear and pulling away. tongue.gif I didn't have a chance. I was easy pickings. grin.gif

Miriam , there appears to be a white curb that you have your right foot on in the pic , and although level your camera side foot is clearly off the ground at least a couple of inches.

Archived