IGNORED

Harley claims only industry hazard signals

Bill Neander

Bill Neander

I'm not a computer wizard but if you go to Harley Davidson.com you can view the 2008 Harleys. If you select Sportster family; XL1200R;gauges and controls;integrated turn signals, you find the interesting claim that"Harley-Davidson motorcycles are the only bikes in the industry equipped with hazard signals." I'm thinking either they are completely out of it or maybe I don't know what industry they are in.

Whatcha' doin' looking at Harleys? eek.gif

I have had a few, and appreciated the fact that the switchgear is very similar to BMW's save for the lack of a cancellation switch.

That is asinine. I remember the 600 Kaw having them in the early 90's. I'm sure others can relate earlier observations.

Jim VonBaden
ISYHTRAH

I know this is common to some, but how about trying to use the rest of the keys on the keyboard?

Jim cool.gif

PS Or maybe not, not sure I care what you think.

...you find the interesting claim that"Harley-Davidson motorcycles are the only bikes in the industry equipped with hazard signals." I'm thinking either they are completely out of it or maybe I don't know what industry they are in.

Similar to when Volvo(in the mid-90's) claimed to have the fist application of a transverse mounted 6 cylinder engine; despite the fact that VW had been making them for several years with the Corrado and Passat.

Baba_ORiley
...you find the interesting claim that"Harley-Davidson motorcycles are the only bikes in the industry equipped with hazard signals." I'm thinking either they are completely out of it or maybe I don't know what industry they are in.

Similar to when Volvo(in the mid-90's) claimed to have the fist application of a transverse mounted 6 cylinder engine; despite the fact that VW had been making them for several years with the Corrado and Passat.

I beleive the distinction was the Volvo was an in-line 6 cylinder, while the Passat had a narrow angle V6.

ISYHTRAH

I know this is common to some, but how about trying to use the rest of the keys on the keyboard?

Jim cool.gif

PS Or maybe not, not sure I care what you think.

Huh?

Perhaps the hazard warning is subliminal. It's a hazard if you buy one?

ISYHTRAH

It was probably a typo. They probably meant to say they are the only company in the industry to need hazard signals.

It was probably a typo. They probably meant to say they are the only company in the industry to need hazard signals.

Gee, that was mean . . . but funny. grin.gif

These overinflated claims about innovation are not exclusive to Harley-Davidson, though. Our own beloved BMW Motorrad, upon introducing its "stability control" system (actually nothing more than traction control) pronounced they were "acting as the pioneer in the introduction of advanced safety technologies on the motorcycle. This further enhances the leadership which BMW Motorrad has shown in the area of active safety for more than 15 years".

Maybe they meant to write "this brings BMW up to a level of active safety where it has lagged for more than 15 years." You see, Honda incorporated this type of system into its ST1100 ABS/TCS at least back to the 1992 model year. eek.gif

Seems like Harley's not the only motorcycle maker subject to stretching the truth a wee bit.

It was probably a typo.

I think they meant to say the only company with standard equipment self-canceling turn signals. I know others have had it in the past, but I'm not aware of any others currently.

The Harley setup is like BMW'S--switch on both sides but without the cancel button. If you change your mind, you just hit the button a second time, otherwise it will cancel if you go around a corner. To turn on the hazard lights, you punch both buttons simultaneously.

I like it--should be on all motorcycles.

I beleive the distinction was the Volvo was an in-line 6 cylinder, while the Passat had a narrow angle V6.

They must have left out the word "inline" in the radio spots I'd hear while driving to work

it constantly amazes me that so many regulars on this board seize every opportunity to slam Harley. Its kinda like penis envy!! While I am a BMW fan and rider, our bikes have lots of faults and issues - probably more so than most Harleys. I would guess that most of the Harley slammers here haven't spent any real time riding one in many years.

By the way if you look at the HD website, the 08's are out and they have plenty of technical innovations, including a new ABS system, electronic throttle controls, etc.

But keep slamming if it makes you feel better.

onedae...I took test rides from dealers and friends on many Harley bikes before deciding on the RT. True that H-D is getting up with the times, but the fact remains that they are hot, loud, heavy bikes. All bikes have issues...just start reading the other forums. But, the fact remains that everyone likes to slam H-D if given the chance. They are too big & too easy of a target....just like some of the people who ride them.

it constantly amazes me that so many regulars on this board seize every opportunity to slam Harley.
Naw, we'd slam that ridiculous claim no matter who made it. In this case it just happened to be HD!
Paul Mihalka

"Harleys are hot, loud, heavy bikes". Hot? May be. Heavy? Yes, depends what you compare it to. Loud? NO! Only Harley (and other brand) riders are loud when they modify their bikes.

it constantly amazes me that so many regulars on this board seize every opportunity to slam Harley. Its kinda like penis envy!! While I am a BMW fan and rider, our bikes have lots of faults and issues - probably more so than most Harleys. I would guess that most of the Harley slammers here haven't spent any real time riding one in many years.

By the way if you look at the HD website, the 08's are out and they have plenty of technical innovations, including a new ABS system, electronic throttle controls, etc.

Thanks!

ISYHTRAH

it constantly amazes me that so many regulars on this board seize every opportunity to slam Harley. Its kinda like penis envy!!...

I give props to Harley for their turn signal system - it takes about 5 seconds to get use to the manual canceling and the auto-cancel works as well as any car's. Pretty much, out of sight, out of mind. I guess this means I'm also happy with my penis.

I'm glad it was my post that made you reply with amazement.

It was a joke. There is such a thing as a sense of humor. I don't particularly care for Harleys, but I have seen many that I liked. Of the HD people I know and speak to, I don't care for their 'way of life'.

As far as penis envy...I'm assuming you are speaking of "male penis envy" and not Sigmund Freud's concept of penis envy (that females wish they had a penis).

I would have to say that I don't have penis envy for the simple fact that my penis and I are pretty good friends. Sure, sometimes I have to smack it around when it gets out of line, but we are still friends nonetheless.

Look into that sense of humor issue.

Naw, we'd slam that ridiculous claim no matter who made it. In this case it just happened to be HD!

wink.gif

I just wish Harley would make the lights operate full time and the bike to operate only in the right side of the lane.

Man, can a 3 foot wide bike sure take up a lot of space slowly on a mountain road. lmao.gif

I'm thinking either they are completely out of it or maybe I don't know what industry they are in.

Oh, they know their industry quite well. HD, as a company, is a superbly profitable cash machine.

A glance at how they allocate floor space in their stores might convince you that their industry is chiefly the apparel and gift-shop business. Which is a good biz to be in, because the margins are way higher than they are for the bikes.

This could be word play on the part of Harley. Hazard signals are also known as four-way flashers and emergency flashers.

Harley calls the side stand a "jiffy stand" and "crash bars" as an engine guard.

I'm sure Harley attorney's also have an opinion on what to call the stuff on the bikes.

Maybe Harley riders will make more use of the hazard lights than "other brand" motorcycles.

But, the fact remains that everyone likes to slam H-D if given the chance. They are too big & too easy of a target....just like some of the people who ride them.

I don't think "everyone likes to slam HD if given the chance." I do think a small percentage of bikers can't stand the idea of someone else enjoying a motorcycle they don't think they could enjoy, and don't think anyone should enjoy. Rather than just savoring what they like to ride and letting everyone else do the same, it becomes an issue of "my religion is the only religion." Fortunately, these people are a very small minority of bikers, and I say the smaller the better.

Ok...

How about this one....Go ride every HD model then go ride every BMW model.

You can jump on any Beamer, ride it like you stole it and feel sure that it will ride well, stop, handle and be pretty comfortable doing so.

You can't say that about HD....but, then again, that isn't really fair as HD aren't selling motorcycles just road jewellery lmao.giflmao.gif

Now THAT'S a slam..... wink.gifwink.gif

duckbubbles
You can't say that about HD....but, then again, that isn't really fair as HD aren't selling motorcycles just road jewellery

I've heard it called BUTT jewelry.

Frank

Like it or not they have two wheels and we riders need to stick together. There's enough motorcycle hate to go around from the non-riding public.

wrestleantares

I've had quite a few HD riders telling me that I wasn't on a real motorcycle, so maybe the HD marketing is right.

How about this one....Go ride every HD model then go ride every BMW model. You can jump on any Beamer, ride it like you stole it and feel sure that it will ride well, stop, handle and be pretty comfortable doing so. You can't say that about HD....but, then again, that isn't really fair as HD aren't selling motorcycles just road jewellery

Now THAT'S a slam.....

Okay, so for a two-wheeled vehicle to be a "motorcycle" it must measure up to your particular riding style, right? I've ridden many BMW's and many HD"s, and choose to ride an HD FLHX. It stops well, rides well, passes trucks quickly without downshifting, and handles very well for the type of riding I do, which is touring and mostly sedate riding on the backroads. Two of my best riding buddies own GS's and I keep up with them even when the riding gets more spirited than normal, although none of us take risks or ride recklessly. I also like the feel and sound of the engine and the styling of the bike. That is my riding style, but I wouldn't be so arrogant as to suggest your bike is not a motorcycle because your bike's niche is different. That's like saying my Saab is not a car because it doesn't harbor the exact characteristics of a Corvette.

Like some have said here, in not so many words, we're all in a brotherhood, each using a slightly different manner of application. Why must there be acrimony and intolerance when we're all having a good time in our own way?

FWIW, in response to Redneck LT, of all the HD riders I've known, none have ever told me or the owner of another brand of bike in my presence that their ride is not a motorcycle unless it is made by the Moco. I'm sure such absurdities have been uttered somewhere at some time in history, but I've never heard it. All the HD riders I know couldn't care less what you ride.

I know, you say this is being taken too seriously. But you wrote the words of intolerance when it wasn't necessary to do so, not me.

I’m wonder if there is more to it than simple hazard flashers??

I’m thinking they might have the auto hazard flasher system that some of the uplevel autos have.. ie, the hazard flashers automatically come on when the vehicle goes into ABS mode to warn the drivers behind..

Twisty

If you tell me my Beemer sucks I know better and your intitled to your opinion.

If I tell "some" Harley rider's that their Harley sucks. Well, you figure it out.

Although come to think of it, I've had a bunch of Harley riders tell me their Harley sucks.

How about this one....Go ride every HD model then go ride every BMW model. You can jump on any Beamer, ride it like you stole it and feel sure that it will ride well, stop, handle and be pretty comfortable doing so. You can't say that about HD....but, then again, that isn't really fair as HD aren't selling motorcycles just road jewellery

Now THAT'S a slam.....

Okay, so for a two-wheeled vehicle to be a "motorcycle" it must measure up to your particular riding style, right?

Yep

I've ridden many BMW's and many HD"s, and choose to ride an HD FLHX.

Have you thanked a service person for that freedom?

That's like saying my Saab is not a car because it doesn't harbor the exact characteristics of a Corvette.

Well just remember who said it.

I know, you say this is being taken too seriously.

Exactly.

fourteenfour

I rented a HD while in Daytona two years back. I will NEVER EVER ride one again until they bring the safety up. It had horrid brakes and in other than just straight line cruising was damn annoying to ride. Getting over 80 was scary as the bike was no longer stable. Combine with lack luster gauges, a joke of a gas gauge it surprised me I put 350+ miles on one.

Harley can prove to me they made improvements, but until someone I trust tells me so its only marketing.

fourteenfour
I've had quite a few HD riders telling me that I wasn't on a real motorcycle, so maybe the HD marketing is right.

My best encounter like this was the guy who told me I should have a Harley as it was a real bike. The bizarre part, this was at the light with him in a Tundra. It did have HD stickers and a HD vanity plate on it.

dopeslap.gif

If you tell me my Beemer sucks I know better and your intitled to your opinion.

I wouldn't be so arrogant, even if I thought so, which I don't. Ride safe.

Okay, so for a two-wheeled vehicle to be a "motorcycle" it must measure up to your particular riding style, right?

Yep

Okay, thanks for the info.

I've ridden many BMW's and many HD"s, and choose to ride an HD FLHX.

Have you thanked a service person for that freedom?

Well, I don't use service personnel and do all my own wrenching, but I've had no trouble with the bike so far. My last HD compiled 106k miles and neither the heads nor rocker covers were ever removed from that bike. It was almost trouble-free, costing me <$300 in nine years, not including maintenance and, uh, some bling here and there. I rode that bike through 33 states in that time period and it never stranded me except once when I had an irreparable flat tire.

I have had a few friends with early Twin Cams that have had cam-bearing issues that were common to those models, and two of my three friends with GS's have had drive-shaft-bearing failures. Not all bikes are rock-solid like my old Road King was, but I don't think asserting that modern Harleys are unreliable is a rational argument based on industry-wide evidence. It certainly isn't based on what I've seen over the past decade or two. For HD models made before 1983 in the AMF era I wouldn't make such declarations, however.

I monitor this forum because I like BMW's, have friends who ride them, and am interested in spreading goodwill among all bikers. I have found that most people on this forum are tolerant and friendly, which always a nice discovery.

USER AGREEMENT

BMWSportTouring.com is a privately owned site that exists largely to serve those who sport tour on BMW motorcycles .

USER AGREEMENT

BMWSportTouring.com is a privately owned site that exists largely to serve those who sport tour on BMW motorcycles .

Sounds un-inclusive to me.

Why criticize the preferences & opinions of others confused.gif

USER AGREEMENT

Does that suggest that I'm not welcome here? I like to keep up with all facets of motorcycling, which has been my passion for years, and this is one of several forums I read and sometimes engage. Just let me know. BTW, it does say "largely to serve," and that doesn't imply to me that people who are interested but don't currently own a BMW can't participate. If so, that would also exclude those who are considering a purchase and want to ask questions.

I can't imagine that trying to promote goodwill among bikers is something most BMW riders want to eschew and discourage.

USER AGREEMENT

Does that suggest that I'm not welcome here? I like to keep up with all facets of motorcycling, which has been my passion for years, and this is one of several forums I read and sometimes engage. Just let me know. BTW, it does say "largely to serve," and that doesn't imply to me that people who are interested but don't currently own a BMW can't participate. If so, that would also exclude those who are considering a purchase and want to ask questions.

I can't imagine that trying to promote goodwill among bikers is something most BMW riders want to eschew and discourage.

I wrote the statement he quoted, and so I think I have a right to say this: Ignore him, please. You are very welcome here.

I think we need more people who use words like eschew.

I dunno. I use it when I speak, but my enunciation typically isn't good enough for it. It sounds more like I'm faking sneezes. I don't think that helps anything.

I wrote the statement he quoted, and so I think I have a right to say this: Ignore him, please. You are very welcome here.

Thanks. I've found most folks here to be friendly, and I've been surprised how many participants own both HD and BMW, or have owned HD at one time. Most of those who bash HD's seem to have never owned one. The bikes are quite different, obviously, but not enough to warrant forming armies and bearing arms over a disagreement as to which brand is a "real" motorcycle. To me both fill the bill in different ways. I really don't think anyone is making a bad motorcycle these days, at least "bad" in the sense of being unsafe or unreliable.

As I said, I have three friends who ride GS's and regularly participate in rides with mutual friends, most of which ride HD's. All are totally tolerant of each other and what others ride, and although some sarcasm often erupts, it is always uttered good-naturedly. We also often tour together.

As for using the word "eschew," unlike Greg I rarely if ever actually speak the word, but it often fits in written dialog when other words don't seem to work quite as well. Come to think of it, it does indeed sound like a respiratory spasm.

Archived