IGNORED

Problems with my 49 liter topcase

ChrisRappl

ChrisRappl

Has anyone experienced the following? I took my topcase out of the storage room to use for an upcoming trip and noticed a rattle while carrying it. Opened it up to find a loose screw inside the box. Tried to reinstall it and found that there were no threads in the hole. Noticed that there also was a rattle coming from in between the inside and outside walls of the case (probably the nut that the screw was attached to). I checked the rest of the screws and found that the one next to the missing one was loose and also discovered that one of the screws holding the hinges just turned (never even tried to tighten) so I assume it was stripped during assembly. I'll call my Dealer tomorrow and see if they can fix this before I leave at the end of this week. I wanted to warn you to check this and to find out if anyone else has had a similar experience. I do not see how to open the cases to get to the loose hardware and even if I could, I would not be able to fix the stripped hinge, so, I hope that the warranty will cover this.

Hmmm it never even occured to me to check those screws, but I'll do it now.

I wonder if you could use a magnet to attract the bolt and then drag it back to where it belongs.

Thanks for the tip.

Jay

Update:

Spoke with Capitol BMW this morning. They actually answered my e-mail on Monday even though they were closed. Bottom line is they are ordering a new topcase and lock cylinder. I am paying for expedited freight because I need it before the weekend. They will exchange the case, setup the new cylinder to my ignition key and cover it under warranty. They want me in there tomorrow after lunch. I am pretty much blown away by this level of service! clap.gifclap.gif

Archived