IGNORED

hesitates or stumbles

Arizona_oldguy

Arizona_oldguy

My 06 R1200rt runs smoothly, gets 50 plus mpg on the hwy, seems fine otherwise, but when I try to accelerate hard, like dropping to 3rd or 4th to pass a truck, she acts like one cylinder isn't working at all, bucks and stumbles. If I accelerate slowly no problem. Any suggestions? She is getting close to the 12000 mile service.

Glenn

If it is recording a failure, which given these symptoms I suspect it would have, the dealer should be able to see it with their GT-1 diagnostic system.

Or purchase the GS-911 and check for recorded codes yourself! thumbsup.gif

Arizona_oldguy

I don't know if the bike is recording anything, there is no engine warning light coming on at all.

Glenn

I had the same thing on my R1200ST. It turned out to be one of the dual spark plugs on the underside of the left cylinder. The insulator had broken and it was shorting to the head under hard acceleration.

You may want to check the spark plugs and the plug wires.

I have the same symptoms on my '05 R1200RT - ~51 mpg, smooth at constant highway speed and during mild acceleration, but stumbling and bucking under hard acceleration. It can't be the gas because it's consistent whether I use 91 octane or 100 octane. My dealer thinks it's one of the ignition coils, and I have an appointment to have it changed this Friday. If there's interest, I can report on the results after my service appointment.

Marc

Arizona_oldguy

Hi Tim,

Thanks for those suggestions, it feels like it is more likely a spark failure than a fuel problem. I will check that out.

Glenn

Arizona_oldguy

Hi Tim,

So what do I need to know, or tools to have, to check/change spark plugs on R1200t?

Glenn

Archived