IGNORED

75W 140 Gear Oil in Final Drive

fatbob

OK. Enough of your gloating over your $8 tranny oil. I had to pay $17 for a quart of Mobil 1 75W140 yesterday. Just kidding. Enjoy your deal but just let me in on it next time.

Just a warning for those of you who buy the Mobil 1 75W140 at $17 a quart. Make sure the factory seal is intact under the cap before you leave the store. I checked several recently and all showed signs of tampering. Seems as if crooks have figured out how to pour the expensive stuff in their gear box and then refill the bottle with cheap 90W gear oil. The bottle is then returned to the store for a refund.

Howdy Bob,

Well I'm basically a tourer with weekly hoonish spasms...aka mildly "squiddish" behaviour issues grin.gif

I ride with a group of guys on Monday mornings and we do carve the Texas Hill Country twisties at a fairly aggressive pace, which involves a lot of gear changing. I believe BMW brought out the "optional" 75w140 for a reason and, perhaps, ageing geezers like me (with a wild 18 year old living inside their heads) that live in warmer climes are exactly what its for!! grin.gifgrin.gif

As they say " Yer pays yer money and yer takes yer choice!!" or "Each to his own" thumbsup.gifgrin.gif

Tipover_Bob
Howdy Bob,

Well I'm basically a tourer with weekly hoonish spasms...aka mildly "squiddish" behaviour issues grin.gif

I ride with a group of guys on Monday mornings and we do carve the Texas Hill Country twisties at a fairly aggressive pace, which involves a lot of gear changing. I believe BMW brought out the "optional" 75w140 for a reason and, perhaps, ageing geezers like me (with a wild 18 year old living inside their heads) that live in warmer climes are exactly what its for!! grin.gifgrin.gif

As they say " Yer pays yer money and yer takes yer choice!!" or "Each to his own" thumbsup.gifgrin.gif

Phil:

I doubt we have much in common except for oil heads, foresters, and a love of the salt licks.

Tipover Bob

I doubt we have much in common except for oil heads, foresters, and a love of the salt licks.

Well, that's a darn good start isn't it grin.gifgrin.gif

But more importantly, do you like good beer Bob??

Tipover_Bob

Well, that's a darn good start isn't it grin.gifgrin.gif

But more importantly, do you like good beer Bob??

Phil: Why is my mouth watering?

Tipover Bob

Tipover_Bob

Phil: Oh durn, now you've done it. I went out and bought a quart of Lubrication Engineers LE-607 (90wt GL5 gear oil). This oil is parrafin based and appeared to work really well in my K75C last year. I filled my final drive and had to add 4 oz of BMW gear oil to the remaining 24 oz to fill the gear box. This bright red, gooey stuff looks like it means business. I will keep the group informed on how I like it in my R1100RS.

Tipover Bob in NC

Bob...

I've used the gear oil you mentioned in race applications and noticed a drastic diff in temps after extended runs at high speeds. Rear end much cooler to touch at the housing.

But then I dump it after each run, so couldn't tell you how well it would last for extended applications at lower speeds.

I can tell you it looks as good and is as gooey as when I put it in.

MB>

Riders:

In the latest edition of the MOA magazine, service guru Paul Glaves suggests that using the synthetic 75W 140 Gear Oil in an R bike with a ball bearing final drive is contributing to failures of same. What say you, anyone heard of any connection of this oil to failures?

Most of the rear end ball bearing failures, occur when the ball retainer disintegrates. Oil has absolutely nothing to do with this.

The original bearing had 17 balls and was made by SKF. Later, BMW started using a bearing made by Fischer (FAG) that had the same number (61917c3), but had 19 balls. This had less room for a robust retainer, and the result was a weak retainer. Now it appears they have changed back to the 17 ball bearing again.

Tipover_Bob

MB: I thought I noticed a condition that appeared to be cooler running when I used the LE-607 in my K gearbox last summer. The shifting appeared to remain tight even after a 100 miler in 90+ weather. Before that, I always perceived the gear box loosening up a bit as it got hotter. I then did two 19 hour rides to and from the MOA and then early this spring sold the bike. The guy who sells the stuff here in Raleigh has lots of good info about sports car gearboxes and years of experience. He told me changed to LE-607 in an older MG gear box at 100,000 miles and the gear box lasted another 200,000 miles at which time the entire vehicle was trashed.

Tipover Bob

Archived