IGNORED

Buying a bike in the US then ship it to Germany?

ChrisH

A friend of mine, German Citizen, is coming to the U.S. to spend some time with us. We're considering buying a 1200GS for him in the U.S then ship it back to Germany.

Anyone knows if this makes sense? What's involved?

Appreciate your help!

Thanks!

Paul Mihalka

I do not have any details, but I think it is very doable. I've sold several BMW bikes to German citizens who were in the USA on temporary job assignments, and they happily bought bikes here to take them home. Apparently much cheaper here, even with shipping costs.

He should be sure that he can get a European Certificate of Conformity for the bike, otherwise there is a painful process of bureaucracy and inspections to get through for registration. As long as the US models have the European approval marking attached, there shouldn't be a problem, but if they only have US markings, the process may not be simple.

He will certainly be liable to German sales tax on import unless he has had actual access to it abroad for more than six months and has a reasonable (i.e., sufficient) mileage.

I can't believe he will save enough to warrant the aggravation.

I can't believe he will save enough to warrant the aggravation.

I agree. A few years back I shipped a used Harley to Germany for a friend. I think it will be easier, probably no more $$, and much less aggravation if he just rents a bike during his visit.

Steve_Witmer

How about buying a 6-7 year old 1100GS and then re-selling it after he returns to Germany. You would suffer very little depreciation loss, or he might be able to take the bike back with him if he decides he likes it enough. Or you could keep it and have another bike! thumbsup.gif

Archived