IGNORED

R1150RT Demo Ride Comments

RiceToy

I arranged for a demo ride of a 01' BMW R1150RT at BMW of Louisville KY today, and was welcomed by John and crew who were very friendly and helpful.

I would like to get feedback from seasoned BMW riders on some of my impressions. Impressions being relative, it might be helpful to know that I have been riding an 85' Honda Nighthawk 700SC for the past 8 years, having various other bikes over the years both street and dirt. I am wanting to do longer and more comfortable two-up riding, and am looking for a good sport touring steed to eventually ride the 'Grand Tour' around The Grand, Bryce and Zion canyons.

Here are my impressions after a ride on the RT:

Bad things:

1. The engine sounds and feels like it has marbles in it - a grumbly vibration that is minimized by higher RPM. Reminds me of my dad's BSA or one of my old dirt bikes. Dealer said every bike has a sound and feel, which makes sense to me.

2. Flicking the throttle, even while stopped results in a tug of the bike to the right. I'm guessing a result of the 'boxer' engine style.

3. Activating the brakes either by hand or foot results in a steady consistent squeal - even while stopped. Dealer said all BMW's with solenoid linked ABS do that.

4. Noticeable driveline feel and sound. I'm not sure if it is the transmission or the shaft drive, but it seems to change with speed.

Good things:

1. Terrific low end torque, that will have you at highway speeds in seconds.

2. Confidence-inspiring handling around corners.

3. Aerodynamics that provide a very comfortable and steady ride at highway speed.

4. It is immediately apparent that one could ride this bike all day at 90+mph in perfect comfort.

I've become accustomed to my Nighthawk's smooth engine and shaft drive, and the squealing brake solenoid is a deal killer for me.

Have I been spoiled by an 85' Honda? Maybe a K*****GT would be a better fit, do they have squealing brakes too?

Any comments or recommendations would be welcome. I have narrowed the selection down to BMWs and Goldwing/ST1100/ST1300. The Connie14 (140 mile between fill-up!) or FJR (too sport-minded for two-up comfort) just don't speak to me. The BMW's, Goldwings ($) and ST's do.

1. Don't use the engine at low RPMs. (>4,000 is where it should be)

2. They All Do That (TADT)...it's a consequence of the boxer engine design. You get used to it, and it doesn't really affect "normal" riding.

3. Hmmm. Not sure I'd be happy with that. Don't get the solenoid/linked brakes, or try a different model. A number of people don't care for the linked/power brakes anyway.

The BMW transmission will NEVER feel as smooth as a Honda. frown.gif

Silver Surfer/AKAButters

1. The engine sounds and feels like it has marbles in it - a grumbly vibration that is minimized by higher RPM. Reminds me of my dad's BSA or one of my old dirt bikes. Dealer said every bike has a sound and feel, which makes sense to me. Normal

2. Flicking the throttle, even while stopped results in a tug of the bike to the right. I'm guessing a result of the 'boxer' engine style. Normal

3. Activating the brakes either by hand or foot results in a steady consistent squeal - even while stopped. Dealer said all BMW's with solenoid linked ABS do that. Whine for sure, but not very noticeable with helmet on

4. Noticeable driveline feel and sound. I'm not sure if it is the transmission or the shaft drive, but it seems to change with speed. Noisiest drive line I have ever encounterd. Part of the package.

Good things:

1. Terrific low end torque, that will have you at highway speeds in seconds. Uh huh

2. Confidence-inspiring handling around corners. Yep!

3. Aerodynamics that provide a very comfortable and steady ride at highway speed. Definitely

4. It is immediately apparent that one could ride this bike all day at 90+mph in perfect comfort. thumbsup.gifRight again.

I've become accustomed to my Nighthawk's smooth engine and shaft drive, and the squealing brake solenoid is a deal killer for me.

Have I been spoiled by an 85' Honda? Maybe a K*****GT would be a better fit, do they have squealing brakes too?

I've had a few Japanese bikes as well and there is simply no easy way to compare the two. Apples to oranges. IMO-The RT is the best option for sport touring and my daily commute. I will be looking real hard at the Connie 14 when it's time for a new one though.

You did not say how many miles, are they offering a warranty? what is the price?

I have a 05'rt and would rather not have linked brakes but love the abs. If you do buy it you need 1500 to 2000 miles to complety appreciate the this machine. I just got back from NH (400miles ride) the bigest problem was keeping it under 85mph. and by the way get a cup holder people are blown away when they see it. that was for Woodie!!!

Tony

Thanks for the feedback!

I can deal with everything but the brake solenoid 'whine'. Is that an optional part? Now that I think of it, the one I demo'd had the touring package ("Touring" badge on hardbags and 'comfort' seat).

If I want a bike without the solenoid 'whine', what do I need to ask for? Are there certain years or option packages to avoid?

I had almost the exact same sentiments when I test rode for the first time. You need to take this bike out for a good long 1-2 hour drive out on some good winding country roads. I think you will probably come back with a different opinion, if not, you will know that this bike isn't for you. I think the former not the latter though.

I think an '01 would be an R 1100 RT. The 1150's came out in '02. confused.gif

Why would you flick the throttle while stopped? Yes, the torque of the shaft drive rotation produces the PTTR, but who cares?

Engine, marbles? Probably from short shifting and lugging the engine. Easy to avoid.

The brake sound is reassuring, you know that you've got a great set of binders at your fingertips. ABS that works great in the real world.

Any machine, BMW, Honda, HD, may not be running properly due to improper maintenance, damage, defect, etc...

Suggest you try a 2007 RT for comparison.

When properly maintained, the Boxer engine can provide a combination of performance, longevity, and fun, for hundred's of thousands of miles.

The RT package can offer the best combination of sport-touring for many riders.

The K will be smoother in many ways. It may be what you seek. Many riders love the power, smoothness, and overall package the K series offers.

Try riding more than one bike. Find some riders with different platforms and see what floats your boat.

For 2 up sport-touring, BMW offers several models that each have a character and personality distinct from the others.

Bill_Walker
Thanks for the feedback!

I can deal with everything but the brake solenoid 'whine'. Is that an optional part? Now that I think of it, the one I demo'd had the touring package ("Touring" badge on hardbags and 'comfort' seat).

If I want a bike without the solenoid 'whine', what do I need to ask for? Are there certain years or option packages to avoid?

The servo-assisted brakes were introduced in the U.S. in '02 and continued through until the intro of the 1200s (and on early 1200s too, I think). I agree that the whine is annoying, but I really don't notice it unless I'm not wearing earplugs, which I normally do all the time. I already have some hearing loss from too much rock-n-roll in my youth, I can't afford to lose more to wind noise. And man, will those brakes stop you in a hurry!

Get an 1100. Doesn't give up anything to the 1150, has normal brakes, and you'll save some money to boot.

Sounds like your mind is made up before the ride. Buy a rice burner.
No, it sounds like a pretty apt description of an oilhead.

Again thanks for the feedback!

Although I first noticed what I call 'marbles in the engine' at idle... thinking back, I may have been lugging it (as suggested) through town. I wasn't really paying attention to the tach, and keeping above 4000 (as suggested) would have solved that.

The bike was a 2002 R1150RT, that's what he said on the phone. While I was at the shop he referred to it once as a 2001, and that stuck in my head. Graphics said 1150.

So an 1100 or 2nd-year 1200 would have quiet brakes, that's very helpful. Did they fix or eliminate the servo-boost on the 1200's?

Tonyla: They are asking $8,499. It has ~35K miles. Dark teal/blue color with comfort seat, BMW rear trunk, BMW running lights, engine guards, and up-sized aftermarket windscreen. Typical light scratches here and there. Does that sound reasonable?

This may sound crazy, but I'm really after a silver colored bike. My current bike is black, and difficult to keep looking clean. Oddly enough this all but eliminates ST1100, since they only offered silver in 1991 (first year), and they are rarely found (mostly all red ticket-magnets). This also narrows the ST1300 to 2003 or 2007 model years. The RT's are more available in silver (maybe every year?) or dark grey, which is good too. So it comes down to 2003 ST1300, which I have been warned feels very top-heavy, or any number of RT's or GT's. The more I think back on that demo ride, the more it amazes me how light and simultaneously stable that RT felt.

Francois_Dumas

I can't imagine that a little whining sound from activated brakes would be more of a showstopper than some of the other 'bad' things you discovered grin.gif It is just the brake servo engines that produce sound. Fact is, they are some of the best damn brakes in the business (even when linked) wink.gif ).

Now.... a 'marbling' engine (which is a feature actually - just make sure you have more revs and put in 98 gas!), the bike pulling away WITH you, not feeling secure etc..... THAT I would consider show stoppers!

Your observations are mainly correct..... I noticed similar things (but not the pull to the right), and figured I liked them.

And yes, SILVER is the only good color of course ! smile.gif

Good luck in your search !

Francois

Sidmariner

My '02 was built in Aug of '05. Maybe that's where the confusion comes from.

The linked brakes are awesome. The whine is minor when using the hand brake and louder when using the foot brake. In either case it is simply a "feature" telling me my servo is working, kind of like the fan coming on in my K1100. Besides, I almost always have earplugs in and my satellite radio on, so I don't notice it.

At idle those two big pots do chug a bit but it's an infinitely more pleasant sound than V-twins which always seem to be on the verge of stalling. You may experience some surging, but this is greatly reduced by the addition of a Techlusion unit and precise tuning.

Sounds to me like you've talking about "Aquamint", not teal blue.

You will not regret buying this bike. It is an awesome machine.

Mine...farkled to the max.

Picture082.jpg

Brake whine is unusual but you get used to it. The linked brakes are unique but your style of riding will develop around it. Just don't get off an R1150RT onto a Triumph Daytona 955i and go for a fast ride as I did the other day. Different bikes, different mindset...

If you do long miles, do some long miles on that bike. If you're going to putt around town the RT isn't for you, too much work in town IMO.

I do 6 hour+ stints on fast freeway and quiet country roads with no police presence to speak of to visit my parents. It's an interstate blaster that lets me feel almost as good as when I left home on arrival. No other bike has let me do that since my R1100RT or my K100RT. The 1150RT is even better.

You have to get into the BMW mindset. It ain't japanese so don't expect it to act like a rice burner.

Load the gearshift prior to upshifting and downshifting (less required) and it will snick through the gears well enough once you get into the BMW groove.

My thoughts for what they're worth.

Linz

You have to get into the BMW mindset. It ain't japanese so don't expect it to act like a rice burner.

Load the gearshift prior to upshifting and downshifting (less required) and it will snick through the gears well enough once you get into the BMW groove.

My thoughts for what they're worth.

Linz

True 'dat!

It took about a thousand miles of riding my new (to me) '04 RT to get used to the BMW gearchange again. I had mastered it on two other bikes ('96 R1100R, '01 R1100RTS), but lost the skills after a couple of F650s, and a GSX-R600 (track daze).

Now, I can shift and never have my head bobble wink.gif

GoGo Gadget
Yes, the torque of the shaft drive rotation produces the PTTR, but who cares?

I think it is the mass of the flywheel and crankshaft that does that, not the shaft drive. Especially since the shaft is not turning when you are stopped. grin.gif

... the more it amazes me how light and simultaneously stable that RT felt.

And there you have it. Four years after my demo ride, I still feel the same way. It's (one of the reasons) why I like this bike so much.

You have to be trying seriously hard, to get this bike to feel out of shape, whether riding solo or two-up and fully laden. Several of my sports-riding friends have been disappointed with how easily the R-RT has kept with them and with only half the fuel stops and a fraction of the rider fatigue.

The RT has it's issues. When I got it and parked it next to my beloved Road King I figured it will be a great ride in the winter months. Reality? Since acquiring the RT I put 17,000 miles on it and 3000 on the RK. As I eagerly await the new Concours 1400 and continue considering the FJR 1300 both will have to be overwhelming to replace the RT.

moshe_levy
Reality? Since acquiring the RT I put 17,000 miles on it and 3000 on the RK. As I eagerly await the new Concours 1400 and continue considering the FJR 1300 both will have to be overwhelming to replace the RT.

+1 thumbsup.gif I bought it to commute, and kept my lovely 1998 Sportster as my main ride. A few months later, the Sportster was sold. I've put more mileage on my RT in the first year of owning it (30,000 miles) than in the first few years of owning the other bike. I've basically stopped using the cage unless there's a blizzard outside or I have to transport my daughter. The RT just does so many things so well, it's hard to stop riding it!

-MKL

-MKL

Archived