IGNORED

Multistrada - '06 Initial Impressions

John Ranalletta

John Ranalletta

Tasker and I covered about 250 miles of southern Indiana today. It was the first extended ride on the Duc. If you're considering a Multi, remember mine's an '06. The '07s have a rubber mounted handle bar, oil-bathed clutch and larger displacement. Otherwise, I think they're the same setup. Also remember this is written by a novice rider w/o multi-bike experience.

Impressions:

• My a__ hurts. The stock seat is as comfortable as a leather-covered 2x8. Don't know how soon, but the Rick Mayer saddle is in my future.
  • It may be called Multistrada, but it's really a uno strada, maybe a due strada, but you don't want to spend much time on broken asphalt or bumpy roads.
  • A few miles of gravel showed it to be very competent (moreso than the rider).
  • We hit some extremely thick and gooey tar snakes. Both the front and back ends moved sideways more than I was prepared for. I don't remember having that happen on the GS. Perhaps, the tar snakes weren't as bad; or, I was riding the MS a tad more assertively.
  • The MS punishes the rider who doesn't use the proper riding position! One has to keep the elbows low, balls of the feet on the pegs and crooked with knees against the tank; otherwise, too much weight falls to the bars causing numbness. I guess this is a good thing, because the numbness of the hands and the sliding forward on the seat are certain reminders.
  • This is not a bike one would want or could ride casually for long periods. It requires a lot of rider involvment (at least this rider).
  • The engine's response to throttle input is instantaneous, making smooth throttle control ever so important in corners.
  • Drop the rpms under 4k while moving and the engine balks. I was seldom out of the mid gears unless we were on long, flat stretches.
  • On the outbound leg, it averaged 44+ mpg but only 40 mpg inbound. We traversed gravel and broken asphalt and generally rode at a higher tempo on the way back.
  • While very warm today, the engine oil temps seldom breeched 200 and went to 205 briefly.

John Ranalletta

The MS punishes the rider who doesn't use the proper riding position! One has to keep the elbows low and crooked, balls of the feet on the pegs with knees against the tank; otherwise, too much weight falls to the bars causing numbness. I guess this is a good thing, because the numbness of the hands and the sliding forward on the seat are certain reminders.

Which Multistrada is this, the 620, 1000, or the 1000S ???

Have been considering a 620 as a local commuter myself.

Thanks for the review.

John Ranalletta
Which Multistrada is this, the 620, 1000, or the 1000S ???

Have been considering a 620 as a local commuter myself.

Thanks for the review.

1000DS S
Tasker and I covered about 250 miles of southern Indiana today.

Thanks for all the information on the bike, but I'd be interested in your feedback on the 11 curves you traversed in those miles. tongue.gif

Actually, I think you're spot on with that review. It requires lots more involvement, as you say. You also have to pay attention to your body and pick up the early clues about improper body position so that you can fix it before you start moaning.

Tasker and I covered about 250 miles of southern Indiana today.

Thanks for all the information on the bike, but I'd be interested in your feedback on the 11 curves you traversed in those miles. tongue.gif

Funny.

Actually, and as I know you know, but for those who don't, southern Indiana is quite beautiful with great and varied topography. Great roads, lots of curves and hills with beautiful vistas. Challenging and unforgiving in many areas. Reminds me a lot of the southern area of Nashville, TN.

It would be a great location for a midwest version of the soon-to-be defunct El Paseo.

It was a great day of riding and thrashing. Listening to that Duc howl wasn't bad, either.

Archived