IGNORED

How Much Rear Wheel Play (if any)

2wheelterry

2wheelterry

About 500 miles ago during an oil change I did the tasks to see if I can get any play or rocking from the rear wheel. I got a little play when rocking the wheel with my hands at the 1:30 and 7:30 position. None top to bottom and nearly imperceptible at the side to side position (3:00/9:00). I think I have always checked top to bottom and side to side, so I don't have any history. The wheel is not moving relative to the brake disk, they are moving as a unit. After about 500 miles, the play doesn’t see to be much worse, but it’s hard to tell.

Here’s my question: Is any amount of play as I’ve described normal? I'd hate to tear it apart to inspect if by chance some small amount of play at 1:30/7:30 is normal.

About 500 miles ago during an oil change I did the tasks to see if I can get any play or rocking from the rear wheel. I got a little play when rocking the wheel with my hands at the 1:30 and 7:30 position. None top to bottom and nearly imperceptible at the side to side position (3:00/9:00). I think I have always checked top to bottom and side to side, so I don't have any history. The wheel is not moving relative to the brake disk, they are moving as a unit. After about 500 miles, the play doesn’t see to be much worse, but it’s hard to tell.

Here’s my question: Is any amount of play as I’ve described normal? I'd hate to tear it apart to inspect if by chance some small amount of play at 1:30/7:30 is normal.

Terry, it has bearings in both the final drive & tube pivots so there will be a very little play..

You will have to define EXACTLY WHERE the play is coming from for us to advise you on it’s importance..

You say the rear wheel & rear brake rotor move together (on that item,, they almost have to as they are bolted together).. How about the rear wheel in relation to the brake CALIPER? That will tell the story..

Have someone else move the rear wheel then you can probe around at the caliper to rotor area & the torque tube pivots..

If the rear pivots are just the cause (probably so) then you can tighten those)

If the rear wheel is moving in relation to the caliper then that means final drive bearing play (not good but some can be normal).. As long as it doesn’t get any worse then just monitor it & if it gets worse replace the deep groove bearing (not a real bad job)..

Twisty

twins4life

What twisty said.

Plus, if the pivot bearings are bad, consider getting the bushing kit sold by http://www.rubberchickenracinggarage.com/upgrades.htm

And the big bearing is easy to replace too, just need a press. But there are ways to do it without a press.

The big bearing is expensive from BMW and more from a industrial bearing supplier. But I was able to get a SKS brand (china) bearing for $40 from the bearing supplier.

Time will tell if it is better/worse/same as the OEM FAG bearing.

Archived