IGNORED

Inseam: How to measure accurately.

bmwdude

I don't know why I don't know this but I want to know so I am asking: When people are writing about their inseam length, are they measuring it with or without shoes on? I am assuming that it is without but I wanted to make sure. Also, if the ground is the begining point and the groin area is the end point, how is this measured because there is a bit of wiggle-room, if you know what I mean.

Get a partner. Stand barefoot, feet a foot apart, back straight against a wall. Have a partner place a thin hardcover book and raise it until it is firmly pressed up against your pubic bone (and the wall). Then measure from the top edge of the book straight to the floor. That's your true inseam.

Get a partner. Stand barefoot, feet a foot apart, back straight against a wall. Have a partner place a thin hardcover book and raise it until it is firmly pressed up against your pubic bone (and the wall). Then measure from the top edge of the book straight to the floor. That's your true inseam.

That sounds do-able. I wonder if there is going to be some controvery or dissension re: your method? I get it. I will go get a friend. Thanks!

Francois_Dumas

I don't know either.

The expression sounds like something from the British comedy series 'Are you being served?' to me.

I figure that if you sit on a bike and put your foot down and subsequently keel over, it means too short of an inseam: get a smaller bike !

When I see some people 'climb aboard' a GS or similar tall bike, it means too short an inseam, get another bike too.

Accidents just waiting to happen.

I refer back to my youth and the infinite wisdom of the Dutch with their many millions of bicycles. When you would get you first REAL bike as a kid, you'd go to the 'bike maker' (no department stores sold bikes in those days) and you would TRY and SIT on a bike without keeling over!

If you could 'control' the bike while standing still, you were okay...... sounds a sound way to measure any bike, really.... better than 'knowing' the length of your leg.

grin.gif

Sidmariner

The barefoot and book measurement is correct for most pants, but I have found it useful to add two inches to any motorcycle pants I buy. This seems to compensate for the pull-up caused by spread-eagling, seat-squirming and knee bending on the bike. I like my pants to stay below the top of my short boots when I ride in the summer and I especially like a little freedom to adjust my knee pads.

...But be absolutely sure that your friend does not slam the book closed...... ooo.gif

Now you say this. If I had only read this post earlier I would not be packing some really cold ice along the upper part of my inseam.... dopeslap.gif

While your significant other is quietly watching TV in the living room, you show up with your pants around your ankles with a bottle of champagne and a tape measurer. I bet a buck you get your correct inseam by morning. Anything else... well. You get the idea. thumbsup.gif

From About.com:

"...measure from just below the crotch to the bottom of the ankle..."

From Wikipedia:

"The distance from the bottom crotch to the lower ankle is also known as the inseam. "

From Cherry.dcwi.com:

Place the feet so the medial ankle bones are approximately 5cm apart. This can easily be gauged by slipping the width of the measuring tape case between the ankle bones. Attach a metric tape to the top of a 12" long dowel rod. Hold the dowel rod horizontally and firmly in the crotch. The metric tape should be centered in the crotch. Centering the measuring tape will give the most accurate inseam measurement. With the rod firmly in the crotch, pull with about the same pressure that you would feel if you were sitting on a seat. Pull the measuring tape to the floor for the inseam measurement.

From eHow.com:

"Have the person stand fully clothed, in a normal, comfortable position. The person must be wearing shoes with a standard heel. Measure the right leg from the underside of the crotch (known as the top inseam point) to the bottom side of the ankle (the lowest inseam point)."

I suggest these methods are only useful if you want to buy pants that reach the lower ankle when you're standing still. What happens when you're knees up on an RS or a GT or throw your leg over the RT? Nothing worse than "flood pants" riding up over the top of your boot in the rain because you used dress pant measurements when choosing rainpants.

Use inseam to start and add 2 inches and you won't regret it.

NoLongeraK1200RSRider

If my motorcycle riding pants don't touch the floor when I am standing flat footed.. they are too short! lurker.gif

Archived