IGNORED

Final Drive - What lubricant to use...

loujack

I'm at 12,000 miles on my 05 RT that I picked up as a leftover in March of 06. After reading many posts here on final drives, I've decided to drop the "lifetime" lubricated final drive to replace the fluid and to take a look at any debris that is collecting on the magnetic sensor or in the oil. I've the tools I need, the info on how to do it, and everything worked out - expect ONE thing.

I was giving this months Owners News (MOA publication) a read and there is an article on what lubricant to use. I wanted to hit up this forum to see what folks have used for the lubricant. I've read several sources and none seem to agree on what lubricant should be applied. I'm heading over to my local dealer this morning to pick up some parts, so while there I am going to get their perspective. Nevertheless, I'm most interested in what all of you think - as you guys have yet to steer me wrong.

Thoughts?

I put Royal Purple 75W - 120W in both final drive and tranny..Tranny seemed perhaps a little quieter shifting after the change..

ChrisRappl

I just went through this prepping my bike for a cross-country trip. I'll share what I think I know, but the final decision and responsibility is yours.

The BMW RepROM for R1200RT (USA) calls for Castrol SAF-XO which is a fully synthetic 75w/90 GL-5 rated oil. There is some question in my mind if there might be a moly additive of some sort in its formutlation since it is labeled as a final drive lubricant and I noticed a black metallic sheen when I drained the factory fluid. Castrol also manufactures a SAF-XJ which is a fully synthetic 75w-140 Gl-5 lubricant that is called for in BMW limited slip automotive differentials. I believe that as long as you use a good quality GL-5 rated lubricant you'll be fine. I chose to install Mobile One 75w/90 GL-5. My dealer installs BMW synthetic 75w/90 in final drives and BMW synthetic 75w/140 in transmissions. I chose to install the BMW synthetic 75w/140 in my transmission and it is a very cool red color which makes it almost worth the price in my opinion.

My independent BMW tech used Castrol synthetic, as that's what he said BMW calls for. It was quite pricey, even though I paid for 300 ml, and not a full litre. The work order simply says "SAF-XO Synth F/D Oil". It was $15 for 300 ml, and was also definitely different than the tranny fluid, which is shown on the same work order as "80W90 Gear Oil".

In terms of lifetime fill, I believe BMW changed maintenance schedules for hexheads to call for changing FD fluid at the running-in check. After that it's really up to you, but given that the labour charge was only 30 mins, I'm certainly going to change more than once in the bike's lifetime.

FWIW I was told by my service tech at my 12K service that BMW no longer considers the final drive lube a lifetime lubricant. He stated they now recommend a change at the 600 mile service and every 6000 miles thereafter, and also now have available a magnetic drain plug which should be installed. I gather by the fact that I was charged for the plug that it is not a recall item, but a service bulletin recommendation.

Fran

From "lifetime" to every 6K now!! That would mean a FD fluid change with every oil change. This is the first I have heard of this frequent interval. Have there been any Hexhead FD failures?

I'll have to check with my dealer about the magnetic drain plug. How much was it?

Jay

I understood that BMW now calls for a fluid change at the running-in check, but have heard nothing about every 6,000 miles thereafter. I'd question that. Since when would anyone change FD fluid with every oil change?

I also heard about the new magnetic drain plug, and a BMW tech on this board recommended it to me some months back.

Don_Eilenberger
I understood that BMW now calls for a fluid change at the running-in check, but have heard nothing about every 6,000 miles thereafter. I'd question that. Since when would anyone change FD fluid with every oil change?

I also heard about the new magnetic drain plug, and a BMW tech on this board recommended it to me some months back.

Since there is no "drain" plug on the rear-drive - where would it go? AFAIK - there is only the level plug and the ABS sensor as openings into the rear-drive. I guess a magnetic plug at the level plug position would capture magnetic particles since the oil is thrown around by the large gear inside..

I'm also curious about the 6,000 mile recommendation.

It would seem if BMW is making this change in the recommendation, they would need to provide the changes for free for those of us who bought based on a "lifetime fill" rear drive, and send us out modified service schedules for our owners handbooks..

I had my 600 mile service done just a few weeks ago - including the final drive flush/refill. I specifically asked about this and the service manager said that there currently (emphasis on "currently") is not another scheduled FD maintenance.

pn for plug is 33-11-7-705-854 $11.26. As far as the frequency of change this is what I was told. Don't shoot me I'm only the messanger!

Fran

As far as the frequency of change this is what I was told. Don't shoot me I'm only the messanger!

Fran

Well dealers will say a lot of things. Remember, their motivation isn't always pure, they're trying to sell services too.

As mentioned, the current BMW specification is a one-time FD fluid change at 600 miles.

Jim VonBaden
As far as the frequency of change this is what I was told. Don't shoot me I'm only the messanger!

Fran

Well dealers will say a lot of things. Remember, their motivation isn't always pure, they're trying to sell services too.

As mentioned, the current BMW specification is a one-time FD fluid change at 600 miles.

Yup, but I change mine every 12K anyhow, just because I do not believe in "lifetime" lubricants in critical parts.

Jim cool.gif

Regarding the magnetic plug: I somewhere got the impression that BMW had changed the FD casting design on recent production so that the oil could be drained easily, without the fun and games involved on the original 1200s (like my 05 1200RT).

I would be interested to know from anyone with a new bike, is there a now a drain plug right at the bottom of the casting?

Regarding the magnetic plug: I somewhere got the impression that BMW had changed the FD casting design on recent production so that the oil could be drained easily, without the fun and games involved on the original 1200s (like my 05 1200RT).

I would be interested to know from anyone with a new bike, is there a now a drain plug right at the bottom of the casting?

There is no new drain plug - even on the newest bikes in the showroom. What's strange is that I posed this question to BMWNA late last year when I first ordered my ST and the response I got was that yes, there would be a new drain plug installed beginning on mid-year '07 bikes. That obviously hasn't happened.

It would seem if BMW is making this change in the recommendation, they would need to provide the changes for free for those of us who bought based on a "lifetime fill" rear drive, and send us out modified service schedules for our owners handbooks..
lmao.gif Thanks Don , I needed a good one to get the morning going... grin.gif
Don_Eilenberger
lmao.gif Thanks Don , I needed a good one to get the morning going... grin.gif
Wondered if anyone would notice that.. smile.gif

I use Redline Shockproof. Use of a small craft bottle from Wal-Mart with a flexistraw on the tip makes for an easy job.

Archived