IGNORED

Looking at 2007 RT - trade FJR

Diane

Hi,

I currently own a 2006 FJR. Like the bike - but it gets a little too hot for the summers in Tucson. Plus - i am still having problems with smooth acceleration. So - I am test riding a RT this weekend. So - my questions are:

1st - I am inseam challenged - besides a low seat any ideas?

2nd - looking at a different windshield - or a laminar lip - how are these?

3rd - ARe there any heat issues?

I already own a R1150 Rockster - love the bike & a 1973 R75/5 - so I like BMW's. Used to only a cruiser rider - but changed riding styles in the last year or so.

Thanks for the help.

Diane

I just moved from an RT to an FJR. I like the FJR, but I do miss the RT. I'll be back on an RT in another year or two (long story).

Anyway, the inseam issue is one you will have to get used to. I've got a 29.5" inseam and the RT was a bit tricky at times, but I planned ahead and never really had a problem. If you go to the extreme of shorter shocks (and a cut-down sidestand and centerstand -- be perpared to pay $$ to a machinist) in order to lower the bike, you'll probably ruin its handling, which is outstanding. Of course, if you only use the RT on the highway and never tear up a twisty road with it, you'll be missing out on a lot of the bike's character, but then a lowered RT would be fine.

Forget a Laminar Lip. For every person who ways they work, there are three who've tossed them. Pick up an aftermarket shield, although with the heat in Phoenix and the outstanding air management of the RT, I don't know why you'd want anything bigger. In fact, I'd look at something a bit smaller for the summer, like the Cee Bailey SummerVee or SummerDome shield. Then use your stock shield for the winter. Believe me, there is truly a difference between the way the RT manages the air and the way the Yamaha does.

Finally, heat issues? None. Zip. Nada. You'll likely get a chance for a good half-hour test ride from your local BMW dealer. Do it during the hottest part of the day, just to convince yourself. I have an '07 FJR and while most of the heat issues are gone from the earlier version, there's still some bleeding out the right side onto my shin. Seems OK so far, but I've only ridden it into the 90's. I rode my old RT in 120 degrees in Death Valley and the heat from the bike was never felt.

I've got a 29" - 30" inseam (seems to depend on the weather - go figure). With the factory low seat, I was able to get the balls of both feet on the ground. While I would prefer to have both feet firmly flatfooted, I adapted quickly and never gave it a second thought.

I wouldn't be in any hurry to swap out or add to the stock windshield. If you're my height or shorter, you'll find that the stock windshield offers very good wind protection - although if I remember correctly, you won't want to look through it as it distorts pretty badly.

As far as engine heat, there is none - although your ankles may feel a little warmth when you're riding with flipflops. wink.gif Actually, you won't find another motorcycle - air cooled or water cooled which radiates less heat to the rider.

My passenger gets a little buffeting from the stock windscreen on my RT and I installed a V-technic which did stop the buffeting. However, I took a 4-5 MPG hit and once it got hot I found that it always ended up in the lowest position. Reinstalled the stock windscreen and am much happier!

I also have a 30'' inseam and with an aftermarket seat I can't flat foot the bike. I've gotten used to it and its not really a big deal for me.

These are great bikes, really happy with mine.

Hey Diane

I'm glad you posted your questions here. I'm sure you'll get better advice from this group than you did from me.

dopeslap.gifdopeslap.gifdopeslap.gif

Did ya ask your husband about the kool-aid????

Get the RT and come show it to us at fall Torrey......bring your husband if you have too.

Watch out for AZkaisr (Tom)...doesn't matter how nice you are, he'll still knock your bike over.

Whip

To be fair you should post this at FJRforum.com

lmao.giflmao.gif

Diane

I am 5'7" and have a 30" inseam with a Corbin seat which is wider and flatter than stock. I am on the tip of my toes when I stop with both feet down so to speak. Usually I put my right foot down so about 1/3 of my foot is on the ground which works for me. It certainly is not ideal but it works. My windscreen is a Cee Bailey's Euro Cut, light gray, +1H,+2W and so far it is working great. However, with some of the heat we have had here in Ca. I have thought about going back to the stock screen in the summer. Living in Tucson I don't even think you would need another screen. In terms of heat I have been in triple digit heat last summer and last month going to Torrey thru Vegas. NO HEAT ISSUES WHATSOEVER. I hope the low seat is all you have to do to feel comfortable on this bike. I love mine so far.

Good luck.

I already own a R1150 Rockster

Just a thought - with the big fairing and windshield, the RT is going to be plenty hot in an Arizona summer...why not just stick a parabellum and system cases on the Rockster and use it for your summer ride?

eyesurgeon

Why an RT? The K bikes are going to be a lot more of what you liked about the FJR. Have you ridden a K12GT?

PhillyFlash

I just went from an 1100RT to the 1200RT. I do find a little more heat coming from the left side on my left shin when riding in jeans, but not when riding in my 'Stich. The heat is noticeable, but not any problem (keep in mind that this has been when it was 95+ degrees outside). There was an Aeroflow shield on the bike when I bought it, which I thought was too big and blocked too much air, so I went back to the stock shield. I found that it was much better for air flow and air management. As Fernando said, lowering the bike will probably change the riding dynamics and handling, will cost a pretty fair amount to have done correctly, and will also make it more difficult to sell in the future. Try a low saddle to see if that would work for you rather than making modifications to the bike itself. So far I'm really enjoying this bike. It is a great long distance sport tourer. But if you're not looking to use it for long distances, there may be other bikes that may better meet your needs.

EffBee said I'll be back on an RT in another year or two (long story).

I got time lurker.gifwink.gif

Curious in NYC

Chris

PhillyFlash

Curious in NYC

Chris

Not that much time. But the Reader's Digest version may be forthcoming. wink.gif

Hi Diane, I am a bit short myself. I am riding an '07 RT with the low seat only. I can touch with both toes or one foot flat footed. With a full fuel tank and luggage I can get more of my feet down, but not quite the balls of my feet. I'm 5'2" tall and believe my inseam length is 29.5".

"1st - I am inseam challenged - besides a low seat any ideas?"

As others mentioned, the bike can be lowered with after market shocks. There is also the possibility of higher heeled or soled boots. I find that flexibility of the boot (so I can reliably shift and get my toes down) is more helpful to me than a thicker sole, but there are others who like a thick soled boot.

"2nd - looking at a different windshield - or a laminar lip - how are these?"

I changed out the windshield to a Cee Bailey Sumdome. I couldn't see over the stock windshield (even with it all the way down, I had to stretch a bit to see over it on curvy mountain roads. The stock shield has some distortion where it curves at the edge, which was disconcerting to me and slowed me down on the curves eek.gif. Full up with the stock shield gave me some air from the back, but not much on the helmet vents. I get better airflow to my helmet and arms with the Sumdome, and I think it affected my mileage a bit (1 to 2 mpg less per gallon--but I'm still breaking it in grin.gif)

"3rd - ARe there any heat issues?"

I feel like I get some heat off the cylinder heads, but I just move my foot back a bit on the peg. We recently rode from Glenwood Springs, CO to Grand Junction at freeway speeds on a 102 to 104 degree afternoon, and I didn't find the bike uncomfortably hot. Engine heat seems similar to my water cooled Suzuki cruiser.

I really like the RT. I think the K bike is slightly taller, but may be a narrower seat. Go try them and see what you think. Good luck.

I put shortened shocks on my 2000 rt - 10mm shorter reduced right height 1 inch - really helped with my 27"inseam. They are Ohlins, and I must say that the bike actually handled better than with stock shocks. Friends have ridden my bike, and also agree that shortened Ohlins are an improvement over regular length stock shocks.

Curious in NYC

Chris

Not that much time. But the Reader's Digest version may be forthcoming. wink.gif

I already 'splained it a couple of times before.

Wife retiring next year. We'll have to adjust to a reduction in income as we don't want to sell properties or cash out investments just yet. Couldn't see a $20K debt at this time. Besides, I got a super deal on the Yamaha. So I'll ride it for a few years, sell it, and buy a slightly used '07 RT, kinda like Flash did, only I'll get the fast color.

I am liking the FJR more as I put miles on it, though. Still not as comfy as an RT on the highway. But it sure is fun heeled over and yanking the loud string.

With all due respect, Fernando, I think my Laminar Lip is just peachy! Also easy to install and less expensive than a replacement windshield.

Of course why quibble over a few $$ on a windshield when you spend that much for the machine? smirk.gif

Co

With all due respect, Fernando, I think my Laminar Lip is just peachy! Also easy to install and less expensive than a replacement windshield.

Of course why quibble over a few $$ on a windshield when you spend that much for the machine? smirk.gif

Co

If it works for you then that's great. You've saved yourself the cost of a new windshield. As I said, though, for every person such as yourself who finds that the Laminar Lip works for them, there are several who have given up on them. At least those are the experiences of the customers I've spoken to at our dealership, and I was sharing that.

This in no way minimizes your very positive experience, and I don't see it as a contradiction at all. I think the OP should be grateful that you are sharing this with her as it provides a broader foundation for her decision.

I traded my 06 FJR and bought a new 07 RT this spring. I do not miss the FJR at all. Only thing it has on the the RT is a little more motor.

The RT is WAY cooler to ride, and I don't mean style. No heat as compared to the FJR.

With the low seat on the RT, you will like it.

I thought my FJR handled like a pig, especially with a full tank. The RT hides it's weight way better than the FJR did.

Archived