IGNORED

Wire my ipod to stock Speakers? (without a installing a radio)

BluegrassPicker

BluegrassPicker

Need an electronics expert to suggest how to wire this:

I currently have my ipod routed to an autocomm & helmet.

My dream: flip a switch and have it come out the speakers in the dash.

I have a pig tail which will fit into the radio wiring harness. I think I need some kind of amp and a switch.

suggestions? lurker.gif

I have seen that done. It was a few years ago on a ST1100. You are correct you will need a small amplifier. Check out your local Radio Shack, they should have all the parts. Actually, find a BestBuy with a good car audio install guy. I'm sure they can direct you to tunes.

Snowy.

BluegrassPicker

Thanks Snowy.

(I don't want a radio and I do want to keep the glove box space). Maybe someone can suggest an amp that will work. Also a toggle switch and volume control knob.

Need an electronics expert to suggest how to wire this:

I currently have my ipod routed to an autocomm & helmet.

My dream: flip a switch and have it come out the speakers in the dash.

I have a pig tail which will fit into the radio wiring harness. I think I need some kind of amp and a switch.

suggestions? lurker.gif

Tom, easy to do,,, not so easy to find the proper parts to do it..

First off you need to find out what ohm speakers your bike has (or if it doesn’t have any speakers now then find out what size speakers will fit to speaker openings).. You will need (should have anyhow) water resistant speakers..

Next you will need to find a proper amp (with pre amp) & high/low pass filtering (if not done properly you will have lots of distortion.. Preferably you will need a marine amp (or other water proof amp).. Amps need cooling air over their outside so enclosing them in a sealed box is not a good option..

Next you will need a remote volume control (or an inline potentiometer in the wire from your I-pod to the amp) ..

Here is a link to about what you need but the speakers probably won’t fit your bike without some adapter work or cobbling..

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-vicG61oXCFa/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=218950&I=693MP3KITA

Twisty

Juan_in_a_million

Sorry for the late response.

I have replaced my whole original sound system in my 96 RT. Here is what I did:

1. I bought a pair of JBL 3.5" round speakers rated at 110 Watts from Crutchfield. I don't quite remember but I think they went in the orginal speakers brackets with no modifications.

2. I got a Pyle Marine grade amp with 2 channels and 120 Watts per channel max output. I wired the positive and ground of the amp using heavy gauge (12) directly to the battery. I routed the wires under the gas tank. For the on-off I used the "switched" positive wire that was part of the original radio installation. The amp is much smaller than the radio so I attached it with velcro to the radio box and I still have some room for storage.

3. Since I want to be able to turn it on and off at will without opening the radio compartment, I installed an inexpensive and unconspicuos swtich on the dashboard and connected the on/off switched positive to the switch.

Now I can put my MP3 player with velcro on the tank and plug a pigtail that comes out of the amp into it. When I'm not using it I just keep the pigtail inside the radio compartment.

The sound is great and I can crank it up loud enough that I can hear it perfectly at highway speeds. The problem is that I can't stand it that loud after a few minutes. So I use it only through low speed or city riding.

If interested I'll post some pics.

Cheers.

Archived