IGNORED

adding driving lights 96 RT

strat

Can I just tap into the headlight wiring or is there a better way to do this...these are 55watt 12v driving lights that I got at walmart....nothing special but they come with a switch and I really don't want to cut a hole for the rocker switch.

Thanks

Cruiser

Sidmariner

Depends if you want the lights to be ignition switched or not. On my RT I tapped into the horn circuit, because it's up front, easily accessible and easy to find. Since I seldom if ever use the horn there is little risk of over-taxing the light circuit and popping a fuse.

On my K bike I ran a dedicated line right back to the battery and added a fuse in the fuse box. I added an auxiliary switch in the spare slot. It is not on a switched circuit so I have to pay attention to the LED on the dash.

Baba_ORiley

I would advise against tapping into your headlight circuit to power your new lights for several reasons: 1) it puts additional electrical strain on the existing headlight circuit and switch 2) it means you'd have no independent control of your new auxiliary lights and there may be a time when you'll want to switch them off (e.g. idling heavy traffic when they could overload your bike's charging ability).

I would recommend you purchase a simple automotive relay (under $10) and run a wire to the battery itself -- with an in-line fuse -- to the relay, to power the lights. You could install a simple switch (hide it if you want) on the lead from your headlight circuit to the relay.

I did this recently on my RT-P and it worked out great.

Cruiser

I used a pair of lights similar to the ones you bought on my 04 RT and a buddy helped me hook them up with a relay. I used the high beam headlight wire to power them.

On my 05 RT I have two sets of aux. lights and I installed a small toggle switch for each set. This time I used a Centech fuse panel to power it which is wired direct to the battery. It works like a champ. With it wired this way you have to make sure to cut off the lights when you stop.

I have the same bike and had been thinking about some auxiliary lighting as well. Where/how do you plan to mount these lights?

If you have a Pep Boys in your area they have a nice selection of sizes and shapes and the cost is $20-$30 per set and would easily fit your RT. The set includes everything you would need except for a relay if you wanted one. Electronic stores sell the complete relay for about $10.00 each. Replacement bulbs cost $4-$5 vs. $25-$45 for Piaa's.

These are oval w/blue lenses and I'm going to mount them under the oil cooler so they peek out from under the fairing. I paid 15 buks for them...they are halogen and will look pretty cool when done IMHO. Thanks for all the ideas on how to hook them up. I'm leaning toward straight to the battery with a toggle switch and not the big rocker switch that came with them and no relay.

Cheers

strat/cruiser...whatever

Baba_ORiley
These are oval w/blue lenses and I'm going to mount them under the oil cooler so they peek out from under the fairing. I paid 15 buks for them...they are halogen and will look pretty cool when done IMHO. Thanks for all the ideas on how to hook them up. I'm leaning toward straight to the battery with a toggle switch and not the big rocker switch that came with them and no relay.

Cheers

strat/cruiser...whatever

If you go that way I'd highly recommend the use of an in-line fuse. In my younger and stupider days I watched helplessly as an un-fused 3 foot long piece of 14 gauge wire hooked to my car's battery was pinched against a grounding point. The entire wire quickly began imitating a light bulb filament and attempted to go incandescent. Burned the insulation off quite rapidly!

inline_fuse.jpg

Cheers

strat/cruiser...whatever

You will be happier with a relay. No big wires to run to your switch and bulky wires to hide. The relay is the way to go and super simple to install. You will wire direct to your battery, just not the "control" wire from your switch. It goes to the relay.

I powered my lights with the tail light wire. Simple to connect to back behind the fuse box and a good place to mount the relay. thumbsup.gif

I like drawing from the high beam wire as then I can swith off All Offensively bright lights with my high beam switch. I had them switched seperately but found it too cumbersome to locate and switch off two switches when traffic approached. By using a relay and a switch you can power down just the Aux lights.

works for me but... As you search here there are a bunch of ways but it sounded like you were trying to be economical.

I do have a fuse in line but I'm not real sure how to wire a relay...I know it's simple if you've done it. I'm a good monkey i can follow any diagram and can solder very good. I just need more direction on this relay wiring...it sounds like that is the better method. Right now I'm set to use a three pole single throw toggle bat/lights/gnd. All I need is some directions for this relay wiring if anyone cares to spell it out for me.

Thanks

Strat

never mind I found a great diagram on google it was even about a BMW so I'm good to go...relay it is...and many thanks to you all....

Cheers

Strat

Done!! and it works great!..I tapped into the tail light for my switched power. Now they'll see me coming!!! 15 buks for the lights and 30 buks for the relay and spade clips....Thaks for all the help...

Cheers

strat

OK Woodie...I have a gig tonight with my band but tomorrow I'll have time to take a pic and post it...

Cheers

strat

here is the photo of my new lights

index.cfm?fuseaction=viewImage&friendID=169896577&albumID=0&imageID=6874194

not a very good shot but it gets the job done...I really like it and thanks again to the fine people here...

cheers

strat

Nice looking job. Just make sure the lights don't hit the fender when the forks compress. Run though a deep driveway to test it out a few times. If they don't hit you are good to go.

Sidmariner

Quite right. I should have said that I tapped into the horn circuit to power the switch which controls the light relay. The relay itself takes power directly from the battery, with a fuse added to my fuse box for the purpose.

Archived