IGNORED

'05 RT Sidecase Adjustment??

Bob_Mc

My sidecases are loose. I can move them up and down more than 1/2 inch, and they rattle quite a bit when they are empty. It looks like the locking bar in the sidecase itself needs to extend more. The BMW factory manual doesn't mention sidecases. Any suggestions??

I had to repair my bag when the tab broke off last year and I was not thrilled to spend $300 for the inner half of the bag for a piece of plastic 1" wide and 1 7/8" long. The tab which is located on the inner half of the bag locks the bag onto the framwork of the bike when you press the handle down. A welder guy recommended this fix. I had a piece of aluminum cut to match the size and thickness of the tab that broke off. I then drilled 3 holes vertically in the piece of aluminum and three holes vertically in the plastic where the tab broke. Then I bought 3 steel rods about 3" long and inserted them in the holes to mate the two pieces together and glued the heck out of it with epoxy. It is better than original and there is no movement in the bag whatsoever now.

Keith, is your fix just to remove the bags completely to eliminate the loose fit? lmao.giflmao.giflmao.gif

Send me a PM because I'm lonely. lurker.giflurker.gif

St0nkingByte
I had to repair my bag when the tab broke off last year and I was not thrilled to spend $300 for the inner half of the bag for a piece of plastic 1" wide and 1 7/8" long. The tab which is located on the inner half of the bag locks the bag onto the framwork of the bike when you press the handle down. A welder guy recommended this fix. I had a piece of aluminum cut to match the size and thickness of the tab that broke off. I then drilled 3 holes vertically in the piece of aluminum and three holes vertically in the plastic where the tab broke. Then I bought 3 steel rods about 3" long and inserted them in the holes to mate the two pieces together and glued the heck out of it with epoxy. It is better than original and there is no movement in the bag whatsoever now.

Sounds like a nice hack!

I read elsewhere that the inner bag has been redesigned because of this issue and that if your bags are loose BMW will replace the inner bag under warranty. I complained about one of mine and they have ordered a new inner bag for mine under warranty.

Archived