IGNORED

"engineair" pump

Missouri Bob

Missouri Bob

The Aerostich catalog shows an air pump (engineair pump) that temporarily replaces a spark plug. Many years ago, I successfully used a similar pump in my airheads. Has anyone tried one of these in a dual-plugged cylinder head?

Thanks.

Bob

Never tried it, but seems like it would work. One side should run OK on one plug for doing something like this.

Paul Mihalka

I used them with very good results on my airheads and K75. With today's bikes hiding the plugs and being inside deep holes, installing the pump unit may be a problem. Also with today's electronics it is even more important to have the removed plug inserted in the cable and touching ground. If not, electronics bye-bye.

Please educate me here if I'm wrong about this but when ya hook this up, then use the starter to inflate the tires, aren't the injectors still putting fuel into the air that is getting pumped into the tire? So now I have a tire full of gas/air mix that's under pressure?

Sounds kinda dangerous,even by my standards eek.gif

I have or had that same exact kit for Jeeping years ago. Worked fine on a multi cylinder jeep or tractor. You could use it on the old R bike with points but the new ones with high power coils and such it may not be a good idea.

As far as the gas in the air mix, yep got gas but you also had an inflated tire. You can always do an atmosphere change when you get to a safe place.

One of those electric pump kits may be a better alternative.

Steve_Witmer
aren't the injectors still putting fuel into the air that is getting pumped into the tire? So now I have a tire full of gas/air mix that's under pressure?

The pump, although dependent upon the motor for operation, is supposed to pump clean outside air into the tire. I ordered one this week, realizing that the CO2 cartridges just won't fill up my tires adequately, and because I didn't want to carry a bulky electric pump.

aren't the injectors still putting fuel into the air that is getting pumped into the tire? So now I have a tire full of gas/air mix that's under pressure?

The pump, although dependent upon the motor for operation, is supposed to pump clean outside air into the tire. I ordered one this week, realizing that the CO2 cartridges just won't fill up my tires adequately, and because I didn't want to carry a bulky electric pump.

How small are these things? I can't image it is much less "bulky" than a Slime pump.

How small are these things? I can't image it is much less "bulky" than a Slime pump.

They're about the size of the Slime pump's air hose.

I doubt the pump is designed to function with the pressure and temps of actual combustion. With a dual plug design, I would disconnect (but not remove) the second plug.

Biggest question I have is physical fit capability in an oilhead/hexhead design.

Archived