IGNORED

Why target fixation only on bike?

Mike O

By wiki definition, target fixation is:

Target fixation is a process by which the brain is focused so intently on an observed object that awareness of other obstacles or hazards can diminish. Also, in an avoidance scenario, the observer can become so fixated on the target that the observer will end up colliding with the object.

This is a common issue for motorcyclists and mountain bikers. A motorcycle or bicycle will tend to go where the rider is looking; if the rider is overly focused on an obstacle (puddle of oil, tree, branch, patch of sand, small child, etc), the cycle can collide with that object simply because of the rider's focus on it, even though the rider is trying to avoid it.

So, I'm driving in the car (too damned hot to commute on the bike) and glancing about the roadway. There, about 60 yards in front of me is a large chunk of asphalt. Hitting it would do some serious damage to the tires/car. I don't think twice about maneuvering around it, down shift, steer to the right and press on. Don't think about it again, until this morning.

With all the discussion I hear and read about, personally I've never heard anybody say:

"I don't know what came over me! It was as if I steered my car right into the <fill-in-blank>!"

Why is it that this phenomena occurs amongst us motorcyclists (I've had it happen and forced my mind to snap out of it) and yet, I've personally never experienced this in a car or heard of anyone else having a target fixation issue in a cage.

What makes this so unique that the bulk of stories I read and hear are with motorcycles? Do we feel less protected on a bike? Is there a sense of less control at our hands? Does the outcome of a collision affect our brains' ability to focus past the target? And what are some mental drills we can do that would minimize 'target-fixation' in the future?

Here's one I've been practicing: I scan the entire road and its surroundings never focusing on any one object in particular. From that peripheral point of view, I pick objects shifting from one to the next intentionally NOT focusing on one any longer than it would take for me to make a course correction. Keeping focused on the horizon and our minds natural connection to the handlebars steers me towards where I need to be. Being aware of objects closer but training myself not to 'concentrate' on them is helping me avoid target fixation. Does this make sense?

Any tricks or practice you are doing? Have you ever experienced this anywhere besides your bike?

Mike O

John Ranalletta

Mike, I've often wondered what causes drivers to run smack dab into parked cars and trucks on the shoulder. The plethora of cop reality TV vids would indicate they occur at a very high rate.

What else could explain the phenomenon? Stupidity? Cell phones?

quaintance

I've always kind of assumed a lot of those side-swipes that happen to state troopers when they have someone pulled over on the shoulder is classic target fixation... people mesmerized by the blinky lights and end up merging right into them... same deal with people who run into DOT trucks and whatnot on the shoulder of roads.

I've seen plenty of accidents where people just stomped the brakes and slid or rolled (w/ ABS) right into the back of another car, never tried to turn the wheels at all. I was guilty of it myself once as a stupid teenage driver. Skidded right into the back of another vehicle, if I had turned the wheel I had room to miss it.

So I don't think it doesn't happen on 4 wheels, it just happens a little differently.

people mesmerized by the blinky lights

I heard about a study run by a trucking company one time- the hazard flasher blink rate combined with a certain speed of the trucks on long uphill grades was causing motorists to greatly misjudge the trucks' speed and plow into the backs of them. They did something to change the blink rate and reduced the number of such accidents.

This was second hand from an underwriter at a large truck insurer in the NW, but the source tends to be reliable.

I think target fixation does occur in cage drivers, it's just that the hazard/risk scale is much smaller. On one hand pot holes, roadway hazards and such don't usually have as serious of consequences to them as to someone on a bike. OTOH people rarely drive out of a impending collision, but yet their vehicle and the circumstances often could have easy allow them to do so. Instead they stomp on the brakes and look straight at the cage/object they are about to hit right up to the point where they indeed do so.

Your approach to dismissing in your mind an object as soon as it is no longer a hazard is a good one. I like to say, don't concentrate on where things are, concentrate on riding where things aren't.

GoGo Gadget

It happens in cars. You'll have a guy run off the road into a field. One single lone tree in the middle of the field, and he hits it, because he was looking at it. It happens less because a little steering input in a car turns the car. A little input on the bars of a bike, but you are looking and leaning opposite of the input, means you are negating the steering input.

When I first started riding many years ago. I had a car pull out of a parking lot on my left to take the same right at the intersection. I assume he never saw me. I was counter-steering into the right hand turn, but looking down at my left boot and his bumper that was nudging me. I felt helpless and could not understand why I could not separate and gain distance between us even though I was "steering" for all I was worth. Afterwards, I realized it was because I was looking at the threat instead of the escape. Had I looked right, leaned right, rolled on more throttle he would never have gotten close to me.

ShovelStrokeEd

My take is that it has directly to do with the risk assesement.

We tend to think we are pretty safe in cages. Even though an impediment to our progress may appear, we are more or less casual about it and thus do not target fixate.

On a motorcycle, such impediments tend to be much more of a life or death situation and then we run into evolution and instinct (no, not Darwin) the conditioning over millenia as soft, vulnerable, tasty things, that tells us to look where the danger is. Keith Code explains this very well. Our task is to overcome that conditioning and tear our eyes to where we wish to go and then, of course, decide to go there.

I can remember, as a brand new driver hitting a traffic island in the middle of an empty parking lot. At about ten miles an hour. Do I go left, do I go right? Left? Right? It's getting closer. Quick decide something! Left, no right! Wham! I hit it. Not an unusual accident for a newbie. My focus was on only one thing and the world narrowed down to just the island so, of course, I hit it. All I had to do was look up ahead enough to decide where I wanted to be next and go that way.

Most accidents I've had in cars, the accident just appeared in front of my windshield, I slammed on my brakes, and steered right into it. No thought about looking for a way around; not enough time to finish the "Oh, Shi....." part.

Mike, I've seen target fixation exhibited by car drivers.

Where I don't see it, the person telling about it, like you did, says, "I just...", stating an obviously rehearsed action set... that avoided all or most mishap.

Each time I've questioned the teller, they have admitted to experiencing a period of target fixation.

There's a different set of tales told wherein "The Big Moment", a time of being Griped In Fear was not present. There, the story is more about, "The Jerk That Pulled Out In Front of Me."

So, I get this sense of people who don't get "gripped in fear", "don't have a big moment", and "just do what it takes" to avoid an collision, because they do know what it takes, and do have an at least somewhat developed skill about it.

Oh. I hear the same kinds of tales, with the same kinds of contents from Motorcyclists. Only thing hi, I hear about more Big Moments from bike people. And, I suspect less experience with, and less developed and practiced skill at avoidance maneuvers.

Way too many Tight Elbow riders out there. Somewhat tight between the ears too.

Both are remediable.

Gary in Aus

Mike O ,

target fixation probably depends on the definition .

I have only competed as far as a "B" grade motorcycle licence and work and mortgage repayments ended a racing passion .{"B" Licence expired over 25 years ago}.Wayne Gardner used to train on the same track and was always helpful to those with as little talent as I

In my company that I used to own I had up to at times, 6 or 7 people driving my company cars and the insurance bill was crippling.

Through an arrangement with my insurance company I was able to sources a substantial discount if the drivers attended an accreditted advanced driver training course.

The one-off cost of the course covered the reduced premiums and put more capable drivers on the road.Plus less downtime with damaged vehicles.

As the owner of the company I was given access to this course as well as an option of attending other courses as a promotional offer.

Through out this course "target fixation" or as one of the instructors called it the "hit it factor" , basically if you stared at it you hit, was attributed to so many accidents. One of the ways he showed this was to place two foam cylinders about 1.5 metres high and 2.4 metres apart in an open paddock and you had to drive your car through them at 80 kilometres per hour. There was an empty paddock and just these two foam cylinders and everyone hit them , if you slowed down you could make it through but at 80klms everyone hit.In everyday driving we pass vehicles that are only 50 to 100 cm away yet we miss those.I was once behind a bus on the highway that as it was crossing a narrow bridge ,its rear view mirror was smashed by a large truck coming the other way , they were only cms apart. I dread the thought if they hit.

I am not an expert but I am sure it applies to most forms of transport that we use.

PS. I can only reccomend these advanced driving courses, the courses I attended are not designed to enable you to drive faster on public roads , if anything they reinforce how dangerous public roads are as speed increases, less sight lines, reaction times {not just your own but others} ,changes in surface quality , surface condition such as oil. diesel, sand and rubbish on road and the appalling quality of most vehicle operators. Our instructor highlighted them as "subsistence drivers" just enough skill to be on the road and still be alive.

My wife and two daughters have all done this course and besides being good fun hopefully improves their skills and survival capabilities.

You can use you own vehicle ,I had a great time "hurling" my 6.0 litre Holden Caprice around the race track { we were given a couple of high speed exercises}.

One of the major things highlighted was the dramatic effect on driving when the roads were sprayed with water or covered with dry sand , it was entertaining watching cars in slow motion sliding of the road and running over witches hats .

My opinion on this is, if anyone is confident that they do not need one of these courses I would suggest that they should be the first to book in for one , the life it saves could be there own.

My attitude towards them changed after attending , my initial motive was a commercial decision but after attending the social / community value is far greater.

Agent_Orange

Guess you were never a door gunner (free gun) in a chopper? smirk.gif Put a few rounds into the blades and you will understand what traget fixation really is. eek.giflmao.giflmao.gif

Guess you were never a door gunner (free gun) in a chopper? smirk.gif Put a few rounds into the blades and you will understand what traget fixation really is. eek.giflmao.giflmao.gif
So, did the aircraft commander make you get out and walk home?

Target fixation takes on a whole new dimension when you are the target, eh? Even the thought of it. ooo.gifooo.gif

Best wishes.

Francois_Dumas

Probably has to do with 'fear' indeed. When something pops up in view that might make you fall or crash into, it will affect the mind more when riding a motorcycle than when in a SUV I suppose.

I also believe it has to do with NOT being sufficiently focused on the job at hand, i.e. controlling a mechanized and powerful vehicle through hostile territory, i.e. traffic.

Having said that, I think it mainly has to do with 'experience' (or the lack of it for that matter), which translates into 'routine' and 'automatic reaction'.

I rode my first bike 50 years ago, my first motorbike 42 years ago, have always been a 'fanatic' when it comes to driving/riding (which I consider an art, not a means to get somewhere) and hence have always been 'focused'.

Add to that extensive driving, riding and racing education and experience, where one learns to react in split seconds.... no time to gaze at dangerous objects such as an opponent's car braking up in front of you. Those experiences don't leave one and become second nature. Like you don't forget how to ride a bicycle or how to skate when learned at very young age.

So to me the 'solution' is : education and training and focus on riding/driving. The reactions to danger should then come automatically and be the correct ones. With still plenty of brainpower to spare to enjoy the ride and the countryside too wink.gif

Compare it with martial arts. When you are properly educated and trained you will not 'gaze' at the hand coming at your throat, but you will automatically block it. cool.gif

Here's one that I have noticed. When you change lanes, try to miss those little reflectors that are glued to the road. If you look at the reflector you will generally hit it, if you look at the space between them you won't. A nice safe test on target fixation. tongue.gif

I guess (mental) training helps because when things get tricky the body simply reverts back to what it’s used to doing in such a circumstance. However I think target fixation also has another component. Human eyes can only focus on one thing at a time, and only that part of our vision is actually sharp. That’s why the ‘scanning’ technique is so necessary when riding a bike. Ever had something seem to suddenly appear in front of you? That’s because your focus was elsewhere just then.

So when you add some adrenaline into this mix what you’ve got is a survival reaction aimed at keeping ‘the danger’ in sharp focus. That could be a lone tree in an empty field you crash into with your bike (after you’ve low sided) because it represents a danger you’d like nothing more than to avoid. It could also be a cage driver who’s just p***d you of seriously and you’re keeping him in focus as you’re passing his car, giving him the evil eye, or worse.

GoGo Gadget
Here's one that I have noticed. When you change lanes, try to miss those little reflectors that are glued to the road. If you look at the reflector you will generally hit it, if you look at the space between them you won't. A nice safe test on target fixation. tongue.gif

My son started racing Hare Scrambles a few years ago. The first thing I taught him was, "Don't look at the trees." If you look at them you will hit them.

Like I said earlier, look at the escape, not the threat. Or as I tell many riders when they talk about cars pulling out and other "Oh crap" traffic situations, "aim for daylight".

people mesmerized by the blinky lights

I heard about a study run by a trucking company one time- the hazard flasher blink rate combined with a certain speed of the trucks on long uphill grades was causing motorists to greatly misjudge the trucks' speed and plow into the backs of them. They did something to change the blink rate and reduced the number of such accidents.

This was second hand from an underwriter at a large truck insurer in the NW, but the source tends to be reliable.

People and especially drunk people are fubared by red flashing lights. That is why in Calafornia, which did a study many years ago, ambulances, fire trucks, and LE vehicles are mandated to have amber emergency lights on thier rear. Now if the rest of the country could catch up.

As far as I can remember form my EMS days, the study only found that red lights were a problem. It may have had somethign to do with signal lights being red and car brake/tail lights being red as well. Therefore people think the stopped vehicle with red lights is where the road is and drive right into it. The amber light(s) brake up the pattern and make it more "unnatural". They are also brighter. Blue lights are effective at night because they are not used anywhere else (eg signal lights). But historically they have been pretty dim until the advent of LED technology which has a tendency to be brighter than... well you know. I would take an educated guess and say because the blue lights are "unnatural", a repeat of the study would yield the same results even with the brighter lights.

In europe almost all emergency services run blue because some cities are so well lit and/or so congested the red lights would get washed out.

There have been many instances of people driving into a dense fog, pulling over (sometimes way over, like off the pavement)and still getting rear ended. Why? because they had thier lights on and the person doing the rear ending fixated on the tail lights and failing to judge his speed in relation to the stopped lights, drove right inot them. If you ever run into this pull OFF the road and turn off your lights so no one thinks you are on the road. It seems counter intutive but in fog and heavy rain the human mind can get really screwed up.

Agent_Orange

Lucky for me,I never shot up the blades. cool.gif Those who did got more grief than glory. blush.gif Those who did it a second time were transfered out and became 'spoons'. smirk.gif

Francois_Dumas

In europe almost all emergency services run blue because some cities are so well lit and/or so congested the red lights would get washed out.

That's an interesting theory. smile.gif Hmmm... as far as I remember they always had blue lights.... even when there were hardly any cars or neon lights yet. I figured they made them blue as to not to confuse them for stop lights, and make them stand out more.

Amber lights have historically been reserved for 'warning' and can be found on all 'work vehicles', as well as for signalling turns or break-down.

I've always been wondering why in the US they only use one color for just about everything... regular rear lights, braking lights, turn signal, fog lights and emergency vehicles! No wonder you'd get confused at some point grin.gifgrin.gif

Silver Surfer/AKAButters

If I see someone coming up on me faster than I feel comfortable with at a light, I'll hit my flashers to give him a little something more to see. Seems to work.

OldBoldPilot

It isn't only on a bike or in a car. It's also a well-known phenomenon among airplane pilots, especially learners. For example, if a new pilot is flying a downwind leg (parallel to the runway with the runway on his/her left), he/she will tend to drift toward the runway rather than remain parallel to it.

In formation flying, where you have to constantly be looking out for the planes right next to you or ahead of you, if the pilot doesn't keep his/her scan very quick they will tend to run up on the aircraft they are looking at. Very similar to the motorcyclist who, while watching the scenery, tends to become part of the scenery.

In an airplane, there are two cures. The first, as mentioned above, is to keep the scan very quick: do not stare at whatever it is you're looking at. Look around it, keep it in your peripheral vision, but don't stare directly at it.

The second cure, and this one is harder to learn, is to train yourself to disconnect your hands from your eyes. To go back to the "flying a downwind leg" example, when looking out at the runway beside you (or the road shoulder, or whatever), consciously relax your grip on the controls and do NOT allow your hands to follow your eyes. This is a hard thing to learn, and requires persistence and self-discipline, as the natural instinct is for the hands to follow the eyes. But anyone who does learn it is a lot less likely to become one with whatever they were looking at.

It works in airplanes, and it works for me on my motorcycle as well.

For what it's worth...

Archived