IGNORED

First air bag deployment on Honda Gold Wing

Roadwolf

I couldn’t resist the American dream,” Mr. O’Connell, an immigrant from Ireland, said. “The American dream is to ride a motorcycle without a helmet.”

What an idiot.

What an idiot.

For not wearing a helmet? As a life-long helmet wearer, I have to admit to having called people idiots for not wearing them. I've long since decided that a person is not necessarily an idiot just because they choose a greater risk than I. As motorcyclists, we all choose a greater risk than non-motorcyclists, and most of them think we're all idiots. I do wish everyone would consider wearing helmets.

Now, as to his rather narrow interpretation of "The American dream," that is another matter.

Interesting thing about the air-bag.

Now, as to his rather narrow interpretation of "The American dream," that is another matter.
Not really, I'm sure he said it humorously but even if not isn't it true - the American dream is freedom, he was exercising it.

A couple data points from the article...

Texas, which loosened its (helmet) laws in 1977 and then reinstated universal coverage in 1989, again backed down on the regulations in 1997 for riders over 21; fatalities shot up 31 percent in the first year after the law was relaxed.

A study in Florida sponsored by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration found that in the two years after that state repealed its universal helmet law in 2000, fatalities for every 10,000 motorcycles were up 21 percent, compared with 13 percent nationally.

Earlier in the article it was stated that we are on track for roughly 5000 motorcycle fatalities in '07.

Not really, I'm sure he said it humorously but even if not isn't it true - the American dream is freedom, he was exercising it.

Good point.

John in VA
I couldn’t resist the American dream,” Mr. O’Connell, an immigrant from Ireland, said. “The American dream is to ride a motorcycle without a helmet.”

What an idiot.

+1

Couchrocket

I've been known to putt through the Avenue of the Giants wearing a little half helmet (which is really no helmet at all, but keeps me from getting tickets). I agree w/ Killer... freedom IS the American dream.

As to the airbag on a motorcycle... I hate it when something that "stupid sounding" actually works! grin.gifgrin.gif

Electronic antiskid systems, a technology that has been very effective in preventing car and truck crashes, are not applicable to two-wheel vehicles ...

confused.gif Wouldn't my '99 RT's ABS be considered Electronic antiskid systems ... ? Granted, there are differences (and limitations) in the 2-wheeled application ...

...but traction control devices are already available on many BMW motorcycles.

confused.gif I know (at least) Honda's ST1100 had an TCS option, didn't know BMW did(?)

BMW offers tire pressure monitoring, which can help riders prevent problems on the road.

confused.gif Do the K-bikes have this? I know of aftermarket options ...

------------------

Chris (aka Tender Vittles )

Little '77 KZ400 in the Big Apple

Black '99 RT for Everywhere Else, such as ...

310287-mar2004.gif

What an idiot.

Now, let me say first that I have riden without a helmet a time or two. Also, let me say that I am alive because the serious accident I did have was when I had my helmet on...however, this guy is still an idiot for expression his lunacy as and American dream. It may be an error in judgement on his part to have opened in mouth at the wrong time, but it is still damaging to the image of all riders. The quote from the movie The Sixth Sense comes to mind. "I see dead people." Maybe if you choose to be one of those people who want to ride without a helmet, you should be careful not to make generalized statements about everyone else's preferences. Big dummy.

(Cool idea for a protective device though.)

Liberty means responsibility. That is why most men dread it.

George Bernard Shaw

The issue here is not liberty, which I completely support. My solution to the helmet issue comes in two parts. 1) Complete freedom from government regulation. 2) Sole responsibility for turning your brain into a smear on the asphalt.

This yahoo's comments about the American dream both trivialize the real meaning of the phrase and serve as a transparent effort to make himself look like less of an idiot in print. I do not buy for one instant that he was making a larger point about liberty with his comment, he was just regurgitating some EZ Rider-fueled warped vision of the US in an effort to make himself feel better about making a stupid decision.

Lets_Play_Two
Liberty means responsibility. That is why most men dread it.

George Bernard Shaw

The issue here is not liberty, which I completely support. My solution to the helmet issue comes in two parts. 1) Complete freedom from government regulation. 2) Sole responsibility for turning your brain into a smear on the asphalt.

This yahoo's comments about the American dream both trivialize the real meaning of the phrase and serve as a transparent effort to make himself look like less of an idiot in print. I do not buy for one instant that he was making a larger point about liberty with his comment, he was just regurgitating some EZ Rider-fueled warped vision of the US in an effort to make himself feel better about making a stupid decision.

Besides your judgment of this guy you are also able to read his mind and understand his motivations!! Amazing. May all you decisions be thoughtful.

Besides your judgment of this guy you are also able to read his mind and understand his motivations!! Amazing.

You flatter me. It's simply observation of human nature, not amazing at all.

Lest you think I missed the fact that you were being a smartass I didn't, it's just that I don't care.

May all you decisions be thoughtful.

May I at least have the balls to admit I've done something stupid without flowery BS about dreams when they're not.

What an idiot.

Now, let me say first that I have riden without a helmet a time or two. Also, let me say that I am alive because the serious accident I did have was when I had my helmet on...however, this guy is still an idiot for expression his lunacy as and American dream. It may be an error in judgement on his part to have opened in mouth at the wrong time, but it is still damaging to the image of all riders. The quote from the movie The Sixth Sense comes to mind. "I see dead people." Maybe if you choose to be one of those people who want to ride without a helmet, you should be careful not to make generalized statements about everyone else's preferences. Big dummy.

(Cool idea for a protective device though.)

I wonder if anyone sees any irony in the part of your statement that I have highlighted in red. tongue.gif

Not directed at anyone in particular on this thread....

I'm continually amazed at how we so easily pass judgment on others for their actions. This thread has taken on the same 'air' as so many others ("I wear ATGATT, and I understand it's value to ME, so everyone ELSE should where ATGATT, too. And if you don't you're not as smart as me!").

I'm not aware that ANYONE on this thread personally knows Mr. Lou O'Connell and understands ANY circumstances beyond what was in this brief article. Yet he's been condemned (called an idiot) for not wearing a helmet and for making a statement about his 'dream'.

Who the hell are we to criticize his behavior? I'll stand up for his right to make his own decisions and act on them. And whatever his dream about America? God bless him (with so many folks trying to destroy this country, someone believing not wearing a helmet on a motorcycle is a 'dream' is a refreshing diversion from the lunacy I usually hear.)

Mike O

Totally off topic but that guy is not 40! Maybe 50 something but not 40!

That's all I have to say about that idiot! grin.gif

ghaverkamp

Who the hell are we to criticize his behavior? I'll stand up for his right to make his own decisions and act on them. And whatever his dream about America? God bless him (with so many folks trying to destroy this country, someone believing not wearing a helmet on a motorcycle is a 'dream' is a refreshing diversion from the lunacy I usually hear.)

Hey! It's my American dream to call people idiots in online venues. Who are you to criticize me, idiot?

Hey! It's my American dream to call people idiots in online venues. Who are you to criticize me, idiot?
Completely unnecessary Greg.
...Hey! It's my American dream to call people idiots in online venues. Who are you to criticize me, idiot?
You're so fortunate to be livin' the dream. Here's a quote you'll appreciate: "Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

Take care, Greg.

Mike O

ghaverkamp

I've got nearly 6300 posts to show that unnecessary doesn't stop me.

They say that Goldwing T-boned a car, but I don't see any obvious damage in the photo other than a crack in the front fender.

I'm glad the rider survived unhurt. I wish airbags were an option we could choose. I know lots of people wouldn't choose it, and that's fine, but I'd like to have the choice.

600-bike.jpg

Jim VonBaden

Thanks Greg, I will use THAT line myself in the future! grin.gif

Jim cool.gif

Jim VonBaden
They say that Goldwing T-boned a car, but I don't see any obvious damage in the photo other than a crack in the front fender.

I'm glad the rider survived unhurt. I wish airbags were an option we could choose. I know lots of people wouldn't choose it, and that's fine, but I'd like to have the choice.

600-bike.jpg

Check out how far back the front wheel is.

hon_goldwing_04_1_lge.jpg

Jim cool.gif

steve.foote

Greg, I don't have quite as many posts as you do, so I am not necessarily as unnecessary as you, but I did just learn that it takes balls to call someone an idiot on an anonymous internet forum.

Who'd a thunk?

ghaverkamp

Greg, I don't have quite as many posts as you do, so I am not necessarily as unnecessary as you, but I did just learn that it takes balls to call someone an idiot on an anonymous internet forum.

It's rather easy on an anonymous forum. It's rather easy in this pseudonymous forum. Of course, I wasn't calling anyone an idiot.

Knifemaker

It's nice to see the children of this forum are still playing nice.

After viewing how this post degenerated....

I have in the past but will now try my best not to play the name calling game with others who like to play the game.

This game has no value except to those who can not express themselves without it.

If I fail... please remind me of my error.

I note that he was not wearing a helmet at the time, but says he will from now on out.

This is what I can't understand. Ben Roethlisberger said something to the same effect, after his accident. Accidents are a reasonably foreseeable consequence of being on the roads, regardless of the type of vehicle used. Why does it take an accident to change some people's minds? When one does, "idiot" might be too strong -- at least he had enough of a mind to change -- but what does that say? confused.gif

A two wheeled convertible hit another car, whats the story here?

dopeslap.gif

I don't care if your an idiot or not thats funny as hell right there. lmao.gif

Lineareagle

Ah freedom! It comes in such a fickle package. Such a concept that can be fleshed out by anyone in any way.

Because we have socialized medicine in Canada many of our 'freedoms' become subject to the greater good of 'freedom' from excessive taxation brought on by the cost of patching up people who do things that result in preventable injury.

Thus helmet laws and smoking restrictions.

I have to admit I really get ticked off when I am paying for somebody else to express their 'freedom'.

Of course you guys pay too, higher insurance rates, more motorcycle restrictions, etc.

Hmm but I guess the elusive concept of freedom trumps all.

But that is a discussion that belongs on another thread.

Me, atgatt, specify it, require it, everyone, all the time.

But thats just me.

grin.gif

lmao.giflmao.giflmao.giflmao.gif

The "2-seat convertible crash" places second in this thread.

lmao.giflmao.giflmao.gif

John in VA
[hon_goldwing_04_1_lge.jpg

That's what I need for the top case of my RT -- a cool spoiler (painted to match, natch!).

[hon_goldwing_04_1_lge.jpg

This thing is bigger than my car. It's probably got more horsepower too. You could stretch out and take a nap on the seat. Who needs a helmet when you're driving a truck? dopeslap.gif

Archived