IGNORED

Curious about GPS usage !

Francois_Dumas

Do you use a GPS on your bike?  

513 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Francois_Dumas

Just curious to see how many of you tour around the country/globe WITHOUT a GPS on the bike??

(I have one on my PDA but that is not usable on the bike. So our upcoming Europe trip will be totally done with the old Mark One Memory Banks and some paper maps.... )

Aluminum_Butt

I seldom ride without mine. For starters, it's my MP3 player, and tunes definitely improve my riding experience. But even before I used a GPS as my music player, I still took it on any trip that expanded beyond local roads. I've absolutely ridden places/roads that I wouldn't have without the GPS because of the view it gives me.

That said, they're not infallible, and I still carry paper maps with me as a backup on road trips.

I like the freedom to watch the traffic and not the road-signs that the GPS gives me.

I still plan the routes on paper maps, then transfer the routes to mapsource for downloading to the GPS. The map is also in the topbox.

Andy

SAAB93driver

I have a portable PDA one I use in rental cars when I travel on business that my company bought but I don't use one on the bike. I realize they can get you unlost but for what they cost it will buy a lot of maps and I rarely travel on the bike with a tight schedule.

skinny_tom (aka boney)

I use one, but typically only on longer trips where I'm pre-planning routes. I almost never have it on my bike for local stuff, and only use it's additional data-tracking features when returning to places I've already been.

It did come in very useful here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8cbLBQjw2k

The only time I take my GPS off the bike is when I stop for the night at a motel.

I use hard-copy maps to visualize a route (see the big picture), then create it on my PC using Mapsource, and finally upload it/them to the GPS. I also carry hard copy maps with me on the bike during long rides.

Aside from the obvious navigation function, I now use the GPS speedometer exclusively, and never the bike speedo. It's also very handy when I cross the border, as I can easily switch from Kms to miles.

I bought a Lowrance 1Way 500c with the intent to use it on the bike. SO far I have only used it in the truck or car. I just haven't bothered mounting it yet. For now I navigate the old way. I use a map to plan out my route, make a list of the roads and exits, attach said list to my bike or leg, and tuck the map somewhere handy.

I fill out a sticky note with road numbers and distances between them, stick it to the back of my windshield with a little painters tape for insurance to keep it there. That is all the distraction I need. Had a GPS, sold it.

I made 6 cross country tours, numerous forays in Canada, without a GPS.

I bought a unit in March and used it on my last 2 tours. I'll never go back. Not that I NEED it, but it I love the feedback and how it helps me FIND out of the way roads to ride. Something atlas can't do.

America has produced a few philosophers, one being Henry David Thoreau; he's credited with the admonition "simplify" which I take to heart. For me (and I'm thinking Thoreau as well) the fewer farkles the better.

Wooster who criss crossed this country fourteen times w/o gps, ipod nor cell phone

Sidmariner

I'm riding an RT with miles on the dial instead of Kilometers. While I do have little stickers on the dial to emphasise the key speeds (30,50, 80 and 100kph) I do like the GPS display to give me my road speed.

Also, I like the FIND feature for locating services. My Quest 2 however, is supremely irritating when trying to navigate in high-density, high-speed situations. I have no faith in its ability to put me on the correct off-ramp. I always have a well marked map and post-it notes in my tank bag.

America has produced a few philosophers, one being Henry David Thoreau; he's credited with the admonition "simplify" which I take to heart. For me (and I'm thinking Thoreau as well) the fewer farkles the better.

Garmin couldn't agree with you more! That's why they created the Zumo! One Farkle..Many uses! I bet Thoreau would even endorse it! grin.gif

Use it all the time as my speedometer. Its position low on the windshield provides quicker checks of my speed while still keeping the road in view. I hate the voice commands and turn them off when I'm actually following a route.

Francois_Dumas

Many thanks for all the interesting answers. So I see we're 'mapsmen' are clearly in the majority here smirk.gif

I must admit I have my PDA 'on' in the car most of my trips, for many of the reasons stated above and I envy all of you with Zumo's and he likes.

I would also LOVE to have a GPS on the bike, even MORE than in the car I think, because pulling over to have a look is more difficult on the bike. Figuring out where to go while riding in a city is even impossible, I find.

But alas, due to financial restrictions it'll be maps for a good time to come. Luckily I know my way around on most of the continent by now grin.gif

I DO have a female voice giving me instructions in my helmet though....... how high-tec is that !!! lmao.giflmao.giflmao.gifwink.gif

Knifemaker

GPS is a good tool... That being said I love to make up my own routes but I share routes with other friends and seeing thier GPS files allows me to try other roads I may miss in my travels...

Zumo. Low on fuel? Touch the screen. Hungry? Touch the screen. How fast did I go? Touch the screen. How many miles? Touch the screen. Plan a route? Find out how many miles. Save a rest area to find next time. So easy a caveman can operate. thumbsup.gif

887601-zumo_Splash_BMW.jpg.6d357364aec17657ebdd2fc894a9e35f.jpg

Archived