IGNORED

Need advice on tire change

90RedRider

90RedRider

Looking for any hints for getting the tire off and then back on the wheel. I am using the harbor freight tool and a mojo lever. Just seems harder than it should be . I keep fighting and eventually it comes off and I finally get it back on . Anyone have the link to Mitch and his photos of him doing these operations . I have searched but come up with nada under Joe Mitch or Preston . Thanks for any help.

Take the wheel to a motorcycle tyre change depot and cut the heartache. They have the tools, the goop, the new valve (don't forget that bit). the self adhesive balance weights, the balancing rig and the hand cleaning compound!

Andy

I had a frustrating experience with my first tire change as well. Things got easier when I purchased a gallon of RUGlide from NAPA. Also, the last foot or so of the install is tough unless you press down on the tire behind the mojolever. You have to do this even if it appears that the tire moves just a very small amount and not all the way into the tire rim valley. Once I did this with plenty of RUGlide the tire popped on. I would never have got it on unless someone on the board gave me these tips. I know lots of people have no issues with tire changes, but my first one (and only one so far) was a bitch. I expect the next one to go on much easier.

Joe Frickin' Friday
Looking for any hints for getting the tire off and then back on the wheel. I am using the harbor freight tool and a mojo lever. Just seems harder than it should be . I keep fighting and eventually it comes off and I finally get it back on . Anyone have the link to Mitch and his photos of him doing these operations . I have searched but come up with nada under Joe Mitch or Preston . Thanks for any help.

OK, Nick's posted the link to the instruction manual. Let me know if you're still having trouble.

It's critical, as Phase_III notes, to provide enough slack in the tire bead for the Mojolever to be able to work:

-When demounting the tire, when you're flopping the Mojolever over across the rim, the tire bead needs to be well-lubricated all around, and the far side of the tire needs to be out of the bead seat and down in the rim's center well.

-When mounting the tire, the bead needs to be kept down in the rim's center well for as much of its circumference as possible, up to within maybe six inches of the Mojolever.

If you ever find yourself having to use two hands on the Mojolever, STOP, and see what's going on with the tire bead; you probably can push it down a bit to provide more slack.

90RedRider

Thank you ALL for the help and advice . The instructions help to recall the little bits I forget between changes . Now for a follow-up on the front tire. Thanks again.

Sid

Archived