IGNORED

4th of July Encounter

BlueBeam

I have the day off so naturally I need to go for a nice ride today. grin.gif So off I go headed for some good quiet roads in western Massachusetts. Rt 57 is a favorite of mine heading west. Through Granville, the weather is cool and there is no traffic. All is well with the world. Cruising at about 50 mph....around this corner......lean a little into it...... eek.gif there in front of me stands BULLWINKLE MOOSE!!!!!!!!!! STOP!!!!!! His antlers are as big as my bike!!!! Heart rate real fast!!!! He is thinking. "Should I kick this guys butt for invading my space???" I don't want to move!!! A car from the other direction stops. Bullwinkle looks at him....Thinks, "Which one first." Then looks at me again. Decides "Well I'll just mosey up the road a piece." Heads up the same way I'm going. Stops.... Looks back at me. "Thinks I don't want to scratch my pristeen hat (antlers) on some blue thing looking at me." and steps off into the woods. I approach the area slowly......by....then NAIL IT!!! I've seen a lot of wildlife on the road but never encountered anything like this before. Just glad I wasn't going to fast through there and didn't hit him. The rest of the ride was fantastic too. clap.gif

I didn't think they got that far south but I guess they do. Glad you didn't hit him; I think he would have won that battle!

I've seen many, but only north of Errol NH. They are impressive animals when encountered, especially when your on two wheels. Shall we say, pucker factor! grin.gif

Pat

roadscholar

Riding in the Adirondacks two summers ago I encountered one standing in the road, he was bigger than a Dodge pickup. Took his time moving off into the woods. He didn't seem too concerned with international borders either.

happened to me mountian biking in colorado. mama moose and calf on the trail. i stopped and got behind the largest tree i could find which was the size of my forearm! eek.gif

5 min later the baby ran off...mama kept staring me down and then finally left. of course they went up the freakin trail so waited 10 more minutes and went on. they were gone. clap.gif

I was up in Jackson,Wy working back in '94 which was my first trip up there. I was right at the Snake River near the ski resort and there was at least a 1000 lb. moose hanging out on the right side of the road having breakfast one morning. It must have been about 5 degrees and the steam pouring off his body was amazing. He was drawing quite a crowd so I took some pictures of him and moved on. On that same trip I saw a wolf as I was heading to Yellowstone. I truly got a twofer on that trip. The wildlife in that area is just amazing.

Ah, yes. Encountering moose where you least expect them: - You can possibly get under them, but sometimes they offer the only good reason to write "then I laid'er down" in a ride report.

Ah, yes. Encountering moose where you least expect them: - You can possibly get under them, but sometimes they offer the only good reason to write "then I laid'er down" in a ride report.

such carnal thoughts related to a moose requires professional help! lmao.gif

Archived