IGNORED

2002 rt

rkclimer

Silver Surfer/AKAButters

Linked power assisted brakes and the possibility of surging seem to be the major concerns. Oh, and an ear to ear grin that you can't remove every time you ride it. I've been riding for 30+ yers and got adjusted to the brakes very quickly, although I would stil prefer conventional, this has not been a problem. In regards to the surge, there are many quick fixes to this problem if it exists. I opted for the more expensive Power Commander fix, but have been very happy with the results. I've put 10K miles on this bike since February and have loved every minute on board.

I have a 2003RT which I bought with 8000 miles on it in 2006. Now at 24000 miles I would put it at the top of my motorcycles owned for all around riding, handling, and comfort, even 2 up! A set of Auto Lite 3923's smoothed it right out! Did I mention how well it handles for a big bike! Yea the brakes are grabby at slow speeds and it vibrates some above 3500 rpm but once used to it I don't notice and it loves to run above 4000 to 8000. Just make sure the maintenance has been done and the bike hasn't been crashed and you should be good to go. Maybe need new shocks if higher miles but all bikes will need them! Then farkle away to your taste. Great site which will teach you anything you'll need to know! Welcome! AndyT

some 1150RTs will surge, except for the '04s which have two sparks.

To find out if this one does, test ride it at various rpms around 2.5 k - 3.5 k, always with an exactly constant throttle, in gears 1, 2 and 3. If you don't feel anything odd with the power fluctuating slightly several times per second, then the bike has no surge.

I rode an 02rt for 3 seasons. It will take some time getting used to the fully linked breaks and the servo assist, but at the end of the day, it is a sweet ride. The only major concern is that on some bikes there is an apparent misallignment between the transmission and engine cases. This results is the splines on the transmission input shaft wearing prematurely. There are numerous lengthy threads on this site about the input splines issue. Check them out.

Peterh

Sidmariner

Got one, love it. Surges a bit but my Techlusion unit tunes most of that out. Some reports of early '02s having an ABS issue (sudden lock-up), but mine is an early model and the brakes have been awesome, just like everthing else on the bike. Try to find one with farkles like Moto-lights, tank bag, and after-market seat if you plan on touring. Consider a taller windshield for winter or foul weather riding.

Archived