IGNORED

The Road to Ouray II.

Whip

Sometimes getting there is 1/2 of the fun...this time more like 1/10.

I'm gonna leave out the Hill Country Flowers this time because we didn't stop to smell any. We were three hours behind schedule before we left. 60 mph wind and hail in my backyard slowed our departure.

I still wanted to get to Tucumcari New Mexico. I read about their dedication to Route 66 and wanted to see it for myself. It was dark when we got there so I got up early the next mornin to ride around and check it out.

169101733-L.jpg

169101765-L.jpg

169101788-L.jpg

169101780-L.jpg

169101729-L.jpg

I always wanted to go to a drive-in....ya think they would let be sit on my bike and watch the movie?

They would never have stopped the Fonz.

169101741-L.jpg

I had seen pix of their monument to Route 66.....somehow it looked different/smaller/less impressive in person.

169101747-L.jpg

That's better.

169101753-L.jpg

Not open for breakfast.

169101772-L.jpg

Not open at all.

169101875-L.jpg

On the way outa town I saw this sign......no wonder Killer doesn't think much of this town.

169101881-L.jpg

After leaving Tucumcari we got to experience my favorite part of New Mexico...it's speed limits.

55mph….

169101888-L.jpg

We ran into this dude in Las Vegas NM.

169101895-L.jpg

I wanted to check out this Hotel for next time.

http://www.plazahotel-nm.com/

169101802-L.jpg

We had a nice lunch and then took off for Mora and Taos.

While in Mora we got to talk with this gentleman while the road crew left their tractor in the middle of the road and took a smokin break. It was strange to sit there and know they are doing this on purpose and there in nothing we can do it about it. The flag dude was not happy with the situation. I think they were doing it to him more than us. Even though we were the ones that had some place to be. I didn't get mad I just talked with the flag man about the weather and the Spurs. He was from Albuquerque and liked working in the mountain in the summer because of the heat.

169101933-L.jpg

This little guy was barking up a storm in the house next to us.

169101928-L.jpg

We didn't stop in Taos BTDT. But Mrs. Whip took a few interesting pix on the way.

169101976-L.jpg

169101949-L.jpg

Leaving Taos now on the way to Pagosa Springs …..this thing came outa nowhere. I knew what it was , but I wasn't expecting it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rio_Grande_Gorge_Bridge

I didn't realize those storms were that close until we stopped.

169101955-L.jpg

169101807-L.jpg

169101819-L.jpg

169101837-L.jpg

169101830-L.jpg

We weren't off the bike very long when I looked back and saw it slowly going over like the Gremlin Commercial. I got to it in time and reset the stand, but while I was putting my helmet on the bike started pushing against my leg tryin to go down again. It didn't, but you can imagine how hot it was.

BTW..I didn’t see Tom anywhere.

169101960-L.jpg

From now on I'm gonna try to take us this way to all points north and west. Colorado, Torrey, Wyoming, Montana, etc.

Nice roads cooler temps in the mountains, not much traffic, and some nice scenery too.

169101938-L.jpg

169101921-L.jpg

Through Pasosa Springs over to Durango(160) and then north on 550.

169102007-L.jpg

169101998-L.jpg

It was getting late and as usual I had taken a simple 1100 mile trip and turned it into 1500 miles so these pix were all taken by Mrs. Whip, and I didn't slow down for any of them.

169102034-L.jpg

169102065-L.jpg

169102051-L.jpg

169102084-L.jpg

169102099-L.jpg

169101985-L.jpg

169102107-L.jpg

169102134-L.jpg

When riding the "Million Dollar Highway" at dusk after a long day it feels like it's tryin to suck you off the edge.

169102115-L.jpg

169102121-L.jpg

169102142-L.jpg

That's it for the ride to Ouray II. In a few days I'll get around to the "Rest of the Story"

Just a little teaser first.

There were so many beemers around they forced me to drink the Kool-Aid.....assimilation is not in my future....no matter what hat I'm wearin.

169101711-L.jpg

Whip

Some very nice shots of NM & Colo. Was in Tucumcari in 93 & 94 and it didn't look as nice as these pix. Very happy to hear they are renewing the town!!

thumbsup.gif

Mrs. Whip sure has an eye for photography. thumbsup.gif Whip, I know the ktm & yamaha are different animals, but which one puts a bigger smile on ya under that tinted shield?

Pat

We ran into this dude in Las Vegas NM.

169101895-L.jpg

Bright light city gonna set my soul

Gonna set my soul on fire

Got a whole lot of money that's ready to burn,

So get those stakes up higher

There's a thousand pretty women waitin' out there

And they're all livin' devil may care

And I'm just the devil with love to spare

Viva Las Vegas, Viva Las Vegas

How I wish that there were more

Than the twenty-four hours in the day

'Cause even if there were forty more

I wouldn't sleep a minute away

Oh, there's black jack and poker and the roulette wheel

A fortune won and lost on ev'ry deal

All you need's a strong heart and a nerve of steel

Viva Las Vegas, Viva Las Vegas

Viva Las Vegas with you neon flashin'

And your one armbandits crashin'

All those hopes down the drain

Viva Las Vegas turnin' day into nighttime

Turnin' night into daytime

If you see it once

You'll never be the same again

I'm gonna keep on the run

I'm gonna have me some fun

If it costs me my very last dime

If I wind up broke up well

I'll always remember that I had a swingin' time

I'm gonna give it ev'rything I've got

Lady luck please let the dice stay hot

Let me shout a seven with ev'ry shot

Viva Las Vegas, Viva Las Vegas,

Viva, Viva Las Vegas

Whip, I know it was NM, But after seeing that picture, I can't seem to shake these lyrics. grin.gif

Pat

AdventurePoser

Whip and Louise,

You are so awesome to come out and visit, and bring the other colorful cast of characters with ya! All of you are phenomenal folks, to be sure!

Great pix, too!

Cheers,

Steve

Nice report there Whipster thumbsup.gif

We've stayed in the Plaza Hotel in Las Vegas NM (IMHO, the better town of the two grin.gif) and the hotel is clean, people are nice, got a great little bar plus it's usually $89 a night (check for the internet specials!!) including breakfast. We prefer to stay there rather than Santa Fe when in northern NM. SF, to us, is the sort of place you visit then leave.....too darn commercial these days.

We are staying at the Plaza later on this year as we have a road trip scheduled for September which takes us into Las Vegas NM for the Great American Horse Race and then a couple of days at Ojo Caliente Hot Springs (GREAT place to unwind!!!) and after poaching ourselves for two days, heading on towards the glittery Vegas to meet up with friends.

Mr. and Mrs. - Thanx for sharing another kewl ride tale and awesome pics!!

Norah,

You better be at Ouray III,

It is a most worthy event!

Kaisr thumbsup.gif

Norah,

You better be at Ouray III,

It is a most worthy event!

Kaisr thumbsup.gif

With and invite like that I may just be there! Let me know when it's gonna be cause it sure looks like a lot of fun!!

Archived