IGNORED

Two New Farkles for my RT

gettysburg

gettysburg

169331747-L.jpg

K1200GT instrument cluster cover installed on an R1200RT.

Should cut down on sun glare and it will certainly protect the instrument cluster lense from getting scratched by the RT tankbag zipper.

169331737-L.jpg

Hella Micro DE fog Lamps (H3 bulbs; not HID)

I was able to fabricate a bracket which mounts to the back of the oiler cooler frame. After some trial & error, I finally got the spacing such that the front fender beak clears the lights even if the suspension bottoms out. The lamps and bracket don't interfere with the removal of the tupperware or headlight assembly, so the BMW techs won't be charging extra laborthumbsup.gif

If there is an interest by other 1200RT owners, I can write-up how the bracket is made and installed.

gettysburg
Is the cluster cover hard to fit? and how much?

Ian smile.gif

I ordered the parts from MAX BMW Motorcycles, using their online parts Fiche. The cover was $49.25 (part# 62 11 7 699 346) You'll also need to order two bolts (part # 07 12 9 902 610) at $0.50ea. Chicago BMW had a discounted price of $39.40 on the cover, but when the online transaction as complete, the receipt indicated I didn't order anything. I'll need to call them on the phone tomorrow.

The cover wasn't that hard to fit since the instrument cluster on the RT and GT are identical. It was however, a time-consuming install because of the amount disassembly required. I needed to drill two holes into the instrument panel surround(w/speaker grilles), as well as thread two pre-existing holes in the instrument cluster(using an M4 tap).

I will be installing one of my wife's RT, so I can do a write-up of the installation when the parts arrive.

gettysburg
James,

Where did you get the grill/grate cover for the oil cooler?

I ordered a 12"x12" sheet of perforated stainless steel from SmallParts.com.(enough material to make 3 screens)

Here's a link to my original thread about the installation:

Homemade Oil Cooler

The instrument cover is an ingenious thought, well done.

One question though: the problem that irritates the life out of me is the stupid dim LCD info panel which, if the sun is shining on it goes totally unreadable. Er, what gear am I in?

Does this mod do anything at all to help this situation?

BFN

gettysburg

The instrument cover is an ingenious thought, well done.

Actually, someone else came up with the idea. Some time ago, I came across a photo of it installed on an RT. I'd give them credit, but I was never able to find the original post again.

One question though: the problem that irritates the life out of me is the stupid dim LCD info panel which, if the sun is shining on it goes totally unreadable. Er, what gear am I in?

Does this mod do anything at all to help this situation?

The top of the cover extends almost 2" over the instrument cluster. It should reduce much of the direct sunlight that would otherwise hit the LCD screen. I only installed it last night; I'll let you know afte the next time I ride.

BFN

Is the cluster cover hard to fit? and how much?

Ian smile.gif

I ordered the parts from MAX BMW Motorcycles, using their online parts Fiche. The cover was $49.25 (part# 62 11 7 699 346) You'll also need to order two bolts (part # 07 12 9 902 610) at $0.50ea. Chicago BMW had a discounted price of $39.40 on the cover, but when the online transaction as complete, the receipt indicated I didn't order anything. I'll need to call them on the phone tomorrow.

The cover wasn't that hard to fit since the instrument cluster on the RT and GT are identical. It was however, a time-consuming install because of the amount disassembly required. I needed to drill two holes into the instrument panel surround(w/speaker grilles), as well as thread two pre-existing holes in the instrument cluster(using an M4 tap).

I will be installing one of my wife's RT, so I can do a write-up of the installation when the parts arrive.

Thank's James

Ian

Archived