IGNORED

ABS Question

Scooterbrained

Scooterbrained

Hi all, newbie here will lurk no more!

I'm up at TWO resort in April camping on my '96 R1100RT. Ride in to the next town 16 miles away to buy some beverage. When I shut off the bike I here a buzz coming from what sounds like right hand lower side below or under tank. ABS lights are flashing. Turn key back on and off and still buzzing. Me wonders if ABS pump or whatever running due to stuck relay. Go in store and come back out still buzzing and battery still OK to crank. Head back to camp and shut off. Still buzzing and ABS lights still flashing so I disconnect battery till morning.

Next morning reconnect and still buzzing. I find a Lowes outside of Blairesville and buy a heavyduty 30 amp double pole switch and some wire to run between battery and terminal wire so i can shut off each time I park till I get back to Florida.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance for any information.

Marty

Ahh

ABS dont you just love em!

Y'know, "arbee" you're really starting to sound like a broken record with your constant sniping comments about ABS. If you have no other constructive comments to offer other than merely displaying your emotional scars, I'm sure we all would appreciate your refraining. This is a "Discussion Board", but the one-note samba you're playing is getting predictable and tiresome. Thanks in advance.
Dan Gleebitz

Exact same thing happened to me ...pulled the key out and the things still running ....

Replace relay #8 in fuse box .. reset by earthing out the diagnostic socket (blue under seat) in the time honoured tradition ... jobs a Good 'un

Scooterbrained

Thanks Jamie,

This site as always, ROCKS!

I am afraid however that I may have finished off the pump servo as it quit making noise before trip was over but lights kept flashing.

Thanks Again,

Marty

Scooterbrained

Thanks Dan. I unplugged all the relays while on the trip to no avail. Mine I suspect was deeper rooted! Per the post Jamie sent, think mine is #5 at the ABS unit itself. I think I may have burned up the servo pump during trip as it no longer runs but lights flash. If this is the case, I may just do the ABSrectomy. Have not bothered with it yet as my next project will be the Hall Effect Sensor. That and, I am having too much fun riding my wife's Suzuki Burgman Scooter as back up that she no longer rides! So I have been in no hurry to fix. And enjoying 65 miles to the gallon thumbsup.gif

Thanks again,

Marty

Marty, if the pump is in fact hosed then you may be right, but I would try to replace the relay first and then reset the ABS computer by grounding out the diagnostic socket as explained here elsewhere. Once it has set a "hard fault" like that, they will not go back to non-flashing state on their own--you have to reset the system manually. Your ABS's brain is different from the R1150's with the EVO brakes (and the whining servos), and you should also be able to read out the diagnostic fault code and let it tell you where the problem is. If it is now really the ABS, then you might re-consider the ABS-ectomy, but if a relatively cheap relay fixes the problem, why not try the easy/cheap stuff first? smile.gif

Marty,

Try the reset thing. It's cheap, easy, and you have nothing to lose. Did wonders for my rear brake that was stuck in an unknown condition. Reset put it back to parade rest, and I was able to complete the repair relatively painlessly.

Had the same problem with my 96. Sticking ABS relay. The only way to shut off the pump was to disconnect the battery. After a couple of days with the battery disconnected, I could reconnect and the pump would be stopped. I could reset and go, for a few days. Finally replaced the ABS relay, in the box next to the ABS motor, and that took care of it.

Thanks Jim! How much plastic did you have to remove to get to it?

Marty

The fuel tank has to come off.

The ABS is under the gas tank, so you have to take off the 2 big side pieces, and then the tank. On the ABS unit, you will find a plastic cover over the motor and a box lookin' thing. There is a door on the right side of the box that slides up. Marked "FAG" on mine. The relay is inside there. You can pull it out, and you have to remove a screw or 2 to separate it. The new one is $95.

Archived