IGNORED

What price

SOTA

In a private transaction, I might go $6,500-7,000, but this one deal makes me nervous. Too many little red flags. So I'd say $5,500-6,000.

By the way, who are you? The seller? Pardon me if I'm a tad skeptical. You might fill out your profile. tongue.gif

When a bike is registered in another state, the mileage is verified when the bike is titled for that state. The fact the mileage numbers don't match the odometer would raise a red flag at the DMV. I would pass on it if I were looking for a motorcycle. The broken paper trail is sometimes the hardest part to fix on a bike.

RT-P, unless I knew the history...

I'd plan on replacing clutch, transmission, soon.

You asked.

My top price on that bike has already passed. Who can say what somebody else may pay for it.

edit... like you for one. heh.

When a bike is registered in another state, the mileage is verified when the bike is titled for that state. The fact the mileage numbers don't match the odometer would raise a red flag at the DMV. I would pass on it if I were looking for a motorcycle. The broken paper trail is sometimes the hardest part to fix on a bike.

I am the high bidder right now but if it goes any higher I will be out.

these bikes came from the city of Tallahassee, Florida

he bought 2 as he says I live in FL and he still has the title from the city of Tallahassee his name has not been put in yet so all I would have to do is put my name in and title it.

I am a fairly new rider less then a year 1st bike BMW 650 to small I am 6'2" 240 then moved to a 1100 gs dropped it at 10 mph turn ins. totaled it. bought a 93 GSPD was not for me had back surgery 8 years ago, not interested in off road so looking into getting into an RT.

with the 1100gs dropped learned my lesson I never gave it brake into the turn. but did down shift to low into the turn and it locked up the wheel for a sec. the rest you know.

23K miles on an '01 rt-p seems very, very low. Also, price of an 2001 seems high. Just not a real bargain IMO.

cali_beemer

I just sold my 97 R1100RT with a heated mayer saddle, top case, stereo, 16k miles.... 7500. I wouldnt buy an RTP over a civilian just because of how they are treated. I see the cops around here all the time at the dealer. Tranny and clutch are pretty common, especially the way most LEO's ride. This is not to mention the fact that it costs around 800 bucks if you ever want to convert to a dual saddle if I remember right. Personally I wouldnt have even bifd on it with the spedo off. That will hurt in a major way if you go to re-sell it not to mention the questionable past. I would have passed on it completely and its current price is well past what its worth IMO...

Well I ended up winning the bike $5800 I could of got out at$5700 but for a 2001 with 23,000 miles it still 2,000-3,000 less then I could find in a civilian bike. as for the mileage I do think the city wrote down the mileage. were talking 6,000 mile mistake in a few years when its 10 years old won't matter it will be exempt from having miles on the title.

it has the service sticker on it next due at 24,000 which is 200 miles away, so when I get it home which is 700 miles I will have to bring it in for service.

the RTP do have a few extras on them that is nice.

not to worried about the resell its 7 years old and I paid 5,800 if I ride it for another 75,000 miles in 3 years it was $5800 well spent even if I sell it for a $1,000. now if I just spent 20,000 on a new RT I would feel different.

as for the dual saddle as my other post says I dropped my R1100GS and I am a fairly new rider even at 42 years old I will not be taking a passenger on for a long time. and hell at $5800 down the road I could easily become a 2 bike person.

I do thank everyone for there input and I did look at everyones post. and looked at the prices out there on used bikes, and time will tell if this was a mistake but in the mean time I am going to ride her, and maybe even drop her in my driveway, but I will sleep like a baby knowing I dropped a $5800 bike not a $20,000

With the tip over bars on the bike, any fall will be less of an issue than with the civilian version.

Enjoy. clap.gif

I purchased my 2001 RT1100RT-P with 50K miles for $5400 about two years ago. I've put somewhere between $2500 and $3000 into it for a transmission, clutch, and a bunch of different maintenance items. I've had it serviced once by a BMW dealer, but have done the rest of the work myself.

It's really a crap shoot. No one knows the condition of the bike internally. You could run an oil lab analysis on the engine and motor oil, and it might reassure you or warn you to be prepared to spend some money. In retrospect, I'd do that.

I think you purchased at a higher price than I would have (have seen the R1100RT-P's running from $4K on up), but you didn't overpay (I've also seen dealers trying to sell R1150RT-P's 2002-2004 with 60K miles for $8K to 9K). If you have to take a $2000 hit for a new clutch and rebuilt transmission (send it to Bruno in Canada or Tom Cutter in PA for R&R), you'll end up with a better-than-new ride, still for less than $10K.

Myself, I've sworn off on bikes that have over 3 years old or over 10K miles (even Beemers) and on RT-P's altogether.

Congrats on the new ride. thumbsup.gif

Archived