IGNORED

Tom Tom GPS...Yes or No??

PRC

Are they any good??? I know I posted a while ago looking for info on other GPS systems, but now have SOME money to play with....saw the Tom Tom One for a very cheap price ($269). Any suggestions on other brands or better units (I can't afford a ZUMO bncry.gif) would be helpful.

Mark_Turner

I think its a great little GPS for the car! I would imagine it would work great for the bike too as long as it doesn't get wet.

Francois_Dumas

The only good one for use on the bike is the TomTom Rider 2. The others are for 'inside' usage only.

NYC_Drifter

I think the current Zumo is better than the Rider. (IMO) Of particular concern is the mounting security. Heard the Rider is not very stable. I got the 550 and am hooking it up to an Autocom.

Get the Zumo 450.....about 400.00. It's only $$$$!!!

Dave, you've adjusted to retirement quite well....I guess you've forgotten what those of us still on the job make lmao.gif! However, 4 bills, where???

Thanks to all who've replied, keep 'em comin'

I have a Tom Tom and like it very much. I use it mostly in my truck. I have used it on the bike, at night, in my tank bag and it works very well. I can't see it well enough in my tankbag in the daylight and I have no real desire to get a mount for it.

Pete,

Several reviews lately of GPS's.

TomTom not highly rated for motorcycles.

Go Garmin.

Motorcycle Consumer News rated Garmin 2720 1st, LowranceiWay 2nd, Tom=Tom Rider 3rd.

Many Garmin users here.

From a popular sales site.

1. Garmin nuvi 350 Personal Tra

2. Lowrance iWay 250C GPS Navig

3. Garmin StreetPilot C330 Car

4. Garmin GPSMAP 60CSx Outdoor/

5. Garmin nuvi 360 Personal Tra

6. Mio - C220 - Auto GPS Naviga

7. Plenio VXA-3000 7" Touchscre

8. NAViBLUE - NBC3500 - 3.5-Inc

9. Magellan Roadmate 2000 Autom

10. TomTom GO 910 Plug And Play

This http://www.tigergps.com/garminstreetpilo...CFRU6OAodimL3oA

is what I use.

It has all the features I want. There are newer/better/cheaper out there. Depends on features you want/need.

Hard to beat this if you want XM too.

Francois_Dumas

The NEW TomTom Rider is greatly improved now, with a much better construction to mount it than before. Even our national GPS Guru likes it now.

If I had the Euros for any of them, I'd still get the Garmin Zumo 550, if only for the associated mapping software and ability to plan Tours (instead of only A-to-B trips basically what the TomTom does).

F.

(P.S. I use the TomTom Navigator 6 software on my PDA).

Nope! its average price is around 500 - 550. When compuplus.com runs sales you can get the Zumo 550 for 799. Its a couple hundred more, but buy the right thing 1 time. I originally went with a garmin V as my first GPS...realized right away that saving a ton of money up from would only cost more in the long run. I use the Zumo everywhere...I dont use the MPS/XM function since I run an Ipod - however, all the features on it are very well worth it and work well. I have never regretted spending the money on this one. I researched a ton of GPS units prior to going for this one.

- if you trust ebay sellers, i have seen many units on there for less than $700.00

tOM-tOM./../nOPE nOPE... Garmin 276C

+1

The 276C is an excellent unit -BUT- it's REALLY-REALLY expensive once one prices the road maps and a large memory card (uses a Garmin proprietary card instead of SD/Micro-SD).
  • 2 weeks later...
bakerzdosen
Nope! its average price is around 500 - 550. When compuplus.com runs sales you can get the Zumo 550 for 799. Its a couple hundred more, but buy the right thing 1 time. I originally went with a garmin V as my first GPS...realized right away that saving a ton of money up from would only cost more in the long run. I use the Zumo everywhere...I dont use the MPS/XM function since I run an Ipod - however, all the features on it are very well worth it and work well. I have never regretted spending the money on this one. I researched a ton of GPS units prior to going for this one.

- if you trust ebay sellers, i have seen many units on there for less than $700.00

Um, compuplus.com had the 550 for $659 earlier this year. They haven't been competitive for a while though. PCNation and buydig.com seem to go back and forth for best price (for a place I trust and have bought from). Both are around $670 shipped at the moment. $799 is WAY too much for a 550 at this point.

With that said, I like using TomToms. I really do. However, they have some glaring weaknesses. The US maps they use (even with the latest updated ones from earlier this year) are just out of date. If you live in an area that doesn't change much, fine. However, there are - for example - whole areas of Northern Las Vegas that just don't exist to a TomTom at the moment. They have lousy customer support in the US as well. They are a good company in Europe, but not as much so in the USA. Also, Garmin gives you one free map upgrade - something you'd be paying TomTom roughly $100 for in a year or two. If I could get a TomTom Rider2 with the latest maps on it for $400, it MIGHT sway me to get one. Otherwise, the 550 is just worth more to me.

Archived