IGNORED

How hard is it to do an oil change on a 2005 R1200RT

imeyers

I have a 2005 R1200RT and am sick of paying the dealers labor cost for oil changes. Is it an easy process? Does the plastic need to be removed? Any help would be appreciated. I do my own oil changes in my other bikes and want to do this one already. confused.gif

Search this thread for a DVD from JVB productions. It is under 25 bucks and gives you step by step instructions on how to do this and other services. I've found it to be a very worthwhile investment.

This concludes this unpaid advertisement... :D

I have worked on a number of bikes and I must say that the R12 is the easiest oil change I've ever done. The only caution I offer is that the oil drains so fast that the last time I did it I had to clean up the splashes from around the drain pan. Also, as crazy as it sounds, I bought oil filters from AMAZON in a two-pack for this bike--dirt cheap purolators.

CoarsegoldKid

Simple as falling off a log. Actually you have to get down low to the ground to see the drain plug and filter. Aside from that you'll likely need a filter wrench available at the dealer. There are no pieces to move out of the way.

sebjones906

Just did an oil change on my 07 R1200Rt. Look under the engine, find the oil filter. dopeslap.gif (you don't have to remove anything.) A strap wrench works ok on the filter. tongue.gif Get the right size Allen for the drain plug.(middle of the engine) tongue.gif I bought a non-BMW replacement filter that has a 17mm boss welded to the bottom of it that fits a socket, so that subsequent replacements will even be eaisier. clap.gif It takes longer to refill the engine with oil than it does to do the whole rest of the job. clap.gif

The biggest cost is buying the oil filter removal tool. The BMW one is about 75-bucks. Sierra BMW has one for about 1/2 that.

Try Motobins: http://www.motobins.com/

Search for part number 99205. They are just over $15 plus shipping.

The biggest cost is buying the oil filter removal tool. The BMW one is about 75-bucks. Sierra BMW has one for about 1/2 that.

Try Motobins: http://www.motobins.com/

Search for part number 99205. They are just over $15 plus shipping.

Ditto, and I was amazed how quickly it showed up in my mailbox, given it was coming from England.

I bought oil filters from AMAZON in a two-pack for this bike--dirt cheap purolators.

Details please tongue.gif

Which Purolator fits as a replacement for the R1200 OEM filter?

Jim VonBaden
Search this thread for a DVD from JVB productions. It is under 25 bucks and gives you step by step instructions on how to do this and other services. I've found it to be a very worthwhile investment.

This concludes this unpaid advertisement... :D

Thanks! thumbsup.gif

The DVD will definitely cover oil changes, though that has definitely been covered here.

It also covers all the needed items for every service from a 6k to a 36K.

I AM affiliated with the production, and have monetary connections with it! grin.gif

Jim cool.gif

I bought oil filters from AMAZON in a two-pack for this bike--dirt cheap purolators.

Details please tongue.gif

Try this link. http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/FilterXRef.html

I spent the last hour trying to find the original source where I got this information. Also, in the oilheads forum you will find a number of references to Purolator as well as the LT touring forums. I will install this filter on my next oil change and let you guys know how it works. My thinking is that if it works for the brick and fits the R12, it should be a suitable alternative. The kn 114 is also a recommeneded substitute according to their website.

Which Purolator fits as a replacement for the R1200 OEM filter?

Here's another source, (ststeside), to pick up an oilfilter wrench for $20: http://store.bobsbmw.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=2128

They (Bob's BMW) also have lots of other tools and accessories that are bike specific.

Changing the 12RT oil couldn't be more simple. (I said 'simple' because nothing ever goes as 'easy' as it should...law of the universe.)

My biggest challenge in changing the oil on my 12RT was finding something low enough to slide under the bike that had enough volume to hold the used oil without it being slam full and a spilling pain to pick up and carry. A cheap-o aluminum turkey roasting pan from the grocery store works nicely, even has little wire carry handles.

GoGo Gadget
Here's another source, (ststeside), to pick up an oilfilter wrench for $20: http://store.bobsbmw.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=2128

They (Bob's BMW) also have lots of other tools and accessories that are bike specific.

Changing the 12RT oil couldn't be more simple. (I said 'simple' because nothing ever goes as 'easy' as it should...law of the universe.)

My biggest challenge in changing the oil on my 12RT was finding something low enough to slide under the bike that had enough volume to hold the used oil without it being slam full and a spilling pain to pick up and carry. A cheap-o aluminum turkey roasting pan from the grocery store works nicely, even has little wire carry handles.

So according to that site, these are the available replacement oil filters. Anyone tried any?

Purolator PL10241 / PL25230

Mobil1 M1-102

Bosch 3330

AMSOil SMF 122

EMGO 10-26740

Fram PH6063

Purolator ML16825

GoGo

I referenced the Puro ML16825 in this and another thread. I ordered two from AMAZON. They look like they will work for my R12RT BUT they are longer than the factory specked filters. This may not be a problem because of the ground clearance on these bikes. PLEASE everyone be aware that the length may be an issue. I don't want to put out bad info. I will change oil soon and give an update on this filter.

Jim VonBaden

So according to that site, these are the available replacement oil filters. Anyone tried any?

Purolator PL10241 / PL25230

Mobil1 M1-102

Bosch 3330

AMSOil SMF 122

EMGO 10-26740

Fram PH6063

Purolator ML16825

IIRC those filters are for the R1100/1150 bikes, though many have been using them sucessfully on the R1200 bikes as well. They ARE longer, but not so much that it matters.

Jim cool.gif

Archived