IGNORED

How to electrify my 04 K1200GT?

grapedog

Greetings. Need your guys' help. After 11 years of riding a 1994 K75S, I sold my ride and just recently picked up a 2004 K1200GT. Now, I am trying to figure out how to get my electronics stored on the GT.

On my K75, I had a BMW tank bag with a 12v power lead running down to the side accessory jack. My Kenwood radio clipped onto the outside of the tank bag for maximum performance with my Autocom. My MP3 player and all electronics were in the tank bag for easy removal on road trips. Also, I had easy access to the Autocom volume control which was very helpful.

Here are some issues I have now as I try to wire up the GT:

- Mounting the Autocom under the seat is nice but then I have to run long cables to get to the radio and MP3 player connections. What do you guys do?

- Has anyone been able to hide the B2B radio under the seat but put an antenna somewhere on the tail of the bike for good xmit/receive?

- The BMW tank bag is too big for the GT. I've seen smaller bags that mount on the gas tank and others that mount with straps to the bike. Is there one mid-to-small size tank bag for the 04 GT that we all like to use?

I don't want to make my GT into an LT, but I do take off on long rides during the summer so I want to have my electronics handy. All comments suggested, then I'll go buy stuff and pull out the zip ties as needed. cool.gif

Aluminum_Butt

Congrats on the new bike! I love my GT...hope you love yours as much. thumbsup.gif

- Mounting the Autocom under the seat is nice but then I have to run long cables to get to the radio and MP3 player connections. What do you guys do?

I ran my Starcom in my tank bag for some time, but I got tired of riding with the tank bag all the time and finally put the Starcom under the seat. Yes, you do have to run some cables, but it's worth it IMHO. It might be possible to avoid this step, but I chose to remove the fairing pieces, loosen the gas tank, and lift the tank up a bit (not actually remove or disconnect it). I was able to snake through a stiff wire, then connect all my audio cables to it and pull them back through.

Has anyone been able to hide the B2B radio under the seat but put an antenna somewhere on the tail of the bike for good xmit/receive?

I've never tried that, but FWIW I velcro my radio onto a Gadget Guy mount. He makes two for the GT - one for the handlebars and one that mounts on the windshield arms. See them HERE and HERE.

I have both of those kits on my bike. The upper one holds my GPS and V1, and the lower one holds my cell phone and B2B radio.

Is there one mid-to-small size tank bag for the 04 GT that we all like to use?

Though I don't personally use one, most folks here like the Big Mak tank bag. It has a frame that holds it up above the tank, and flips up to make fueling easier. You can find them HERE.

One other mod I did is to add a power port in the front, mounted on the part of the left fairing that is horizontal up near the dash. You can do that with parts from POWERLET but BMW makes a nice kit for about $50 (actually made for the GS) that has all the connectors ready to go. All you have to do is remove the left fairing, drill a hole for the plug, route the cable back to the plug underneath the seat, and connect it up. I use that plug a lot.

Thanks for the comments and links, AL_Butt. I'd prefer to ride my GT just "naked", like I did this past weekend. Very nice bike! The only problem was when my riding buddy was trying to point out a BBQ stand via hand signals and I thought he was turning left. We eventually caught up with each other. smile.gif I'll check out the info in your post and see what trouble I can get myself into.

Big Mak.

Here's a Diamond Space Case on my GT.

Holds my; phone, Autocom, XM antenna, glasses, gloves, garage door opener, cables, keys, raincover, cable lock, and more.

25thAnniversaryNovaScotia025-1.jpg

Easy and quickly removed and locked up.

Autocom cables right there to hook up to.

Plus, easy to fill up with the flip up feature. thumbsup.gif

Archived