IGNORED

Throttle body chatter

Andy A

My '03 R1150RT has 67,000 miles. I noticed noise coming from the left TB. The chatter is quite loud and it does it at various engine speeds. (It is not hitting against the idle adjustment.) While watching the plate open there is obvious movement inside of the body. Can the TB be rebuilt, or is it a replacement item.

Thank you for your help.

My '03 R1150RT has 67,000 miles. I noticed noise coming from the left TB. The chatter is quite loud and it does it at various engine speeds. (It is not hitting against the idle adjustment.) While watching the plate open there is obvious movement inside of the body. Can the TB be rebuilt, or is it a replacement item.

Thank you for your help.

Andy, assuming your noise in definitely the L/H (clutch handle side) throttle body & NOT the L/H cam chain tensioner (much more common problem) then there is (well was at one time anyhow) parts available for repair.. If the noise is from the Throttle body itself then you probably have a worn throttle shaft & shaft bushings.. Parts were available from Bing America___

bing@havilandtelco.com

So you can try to E-Mail them..

Before condemning your TBI make sure the choke cable is not too tight & that the throttle cables have some slack in them.. As a rule the R/H throttle body is more apt to make noise as there is no TPS spring pressure on that side.. Very unusual for the L/H side to be noisy..

New TBI units are also available from Chicago BMW at a 20% discount..

Twisty

I replaced the cam tensioner about 20,000 miles ago and loved the results. It is for certain the TB itself. I had the choke cable loose and the left throttle cable was adjusted properly. I'll drop Bing a line and compair against Chicago BMW. (See if the time and effort are worth the $$) Thanks for the response Twisty.

Thank you for your help.

Andy, assuming your noise in definitely the L/H (clutch handle side) throttle body & NOT the L/H cam chain tensioner (much more common problem) then there is (well was at one time anyhow) parts available for repair.. If the noise is from the Throttle body itself then you probably have a worn throttle shaft & shaft bushings.. Parts were available from Bing America___

bing@havilandtelco.com

So you can try to E-Mail them..

Before condemning your TBI make sure the choke cable is not too tight & that the throttle cables have some slack in them.. As a rule the R/H throttle body is more apt to make noise as there is no TPS spring pressure on that side.. Very unusual for the L/H side to be noisy..

New TBI units are also available from Chicago BMW at a 20% discount..

Twisty

Those parts are still available. I called Bing maybe a month or more ago with chatter from the right side. They will want you to read them the identifying numbers/letters off the TB. They seemed to know what I needed and shipped me several items (including the shaft) for $89. I have yet to make the change, however, as the bike is running perfectly now and I hate to touch anything! dopeslap.gif

Thanks Mark. Thats good information. I'll gather the information and give them a call. Hopefully it will not require too special of a tool to replace the parts.

Archived